Sikorsky S-52 flies again

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Sikorsky S-52 flies again

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:47 am

If Dinky toys ever made a model of a helicopter, it should have been of the S-52. There is something about the late 1940's shape that makes it a very evocative of nostalgia.

Sikorsky S-52.JPG

Sikorsky S-52

It is interesting to read that Hummingbird has purchased the S-52 series type certificate from Sikorsky.
Orlando-Sanford International Airport-based Vertical Aviation Technologies, Inc. recently purchased type certificate 1H2 from Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation, which represents the FAA design approval for the S-52 series helicopters Sikorsky originally developed and certified. Vertical plans to release its own version to the commercial marketplace as the new four-place S-52L Hummingbird.

Brad Clark, president of Vertical Aviation, said, “For 33 years we’ve been selling the S-52 Hummingbird helicopter as an experimental kit. The program has been highly successful; however, the light helicopter commercial market needs more competition, and we believe we can be a market leader. We have a proven product with no development risks.”

The company said in a news release the “new S-52L has been redesigned in order to meet some of the latest FAA regulatory requirements. The basic design for the S-52L such as rotor system and transmission system remain the same however tail surfaces, fuel system, electrical, instrumentation, cowling, interior, main/tail rotor blades, fuselage and flight controls have been redesigned. The powerplant is the new six cylinder 300 hp fuel-injected IO-540 derated to 245 hp manufactured and supported by Continental Motors, Titan Engine division.”

Hummingbird safety features include FAR 27 occupant safety requirements addressing fuel crashworthiness and post-crash fires, seat and surrounding structure protection, energy absorbing wheeled landing gear, automatic collective pitch reduction in the event of powerplant/rotor drive failure and no control restrictions with the smooth three blade articulated rotor.
From Flying Magazine
Humminbird.jpg
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Sikorsky S-52 flies again

#2 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:53 am

If anybody thinks that I am bit sad waffling on about Dinky toys, then I guess I am so! I don't have any Dinky model helicopters but gosh, I wish I did. Look at the price you can obtain for a model Dinky 715 Bristol 173 Helicopter (for example)..!

https://www.toymart.com/Dinky-715-Brist ... opter/2168
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Sikorsky S-52 flies again

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:30 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:47 am
If Dinky toys ever made a model of a helicopter, it should have been of the S-52. There is something about the late 1940's shape that makes it a very evocative of nostalgia.

It is interesting to read that Vertical Hummingbird has purchased the S-52 series type certificate from Sikorsky.
The original Hummingbird came as a kit...

http://www.vertical-aviation.com/hummin ... helicopter
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."