Bell 47J Ranger

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Bell 47J Ranger

#1 Post by OneHungLow » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:08 am

I was delighted to see the Bell 47J Ranger in a film tonight.

wm1.JPG
This truly unique helicopter was shipped in from California in order to act in the movie The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (released in 2013). The classic 1966 Bell 47J was disguised as a worn Danish helicopter, wearing the fake registration OY-HZF.

WM2.JPG

Description
This truly unique helicopter was shipped in from California in order to act in the movie The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (released in 2013). The classic 1966 Bell 47J was disguised as a worn Danish helicopter, wearing the fake registration OY-HZF.

The most of the filming took place at Snæfellsnes Peninsula, north of Reykjavik. The helicopter was flown by the legendary film pilot Alan Purwin, who is known from movies like Airwolf, Transformers, Armageddon, Tropic Thunder and so on.

The helicopter operations in Iceland was facilitated by Norðurflug. The Bell 47 that was used was the last serial J model ever built.
- https://nordicrotors.com/aircraft/n8585f/1753
The observer of fools in military south and north...

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Bell 47J Ranger - Alan Purwin

#2 Post by OneHungLow » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:14 am

AP1.JPG

RIP - Alan Purwin

American Made is well worth watching as well, despite the underlying flying disaster in the making thereof.

prospector
Capt
Capt

Re: Bell 47J Ranger

#3 Post by prospector » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:10 am

The first version of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was shown either in the late 40's or early Fifties. It was very scary for a young
boy, I can distinctly remember the movie, I chewed the end off my shirt collar, and got quite a dressing down from my mother.

Danny Kaye was the actor playing Walter Mitty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secre ... 1947_film)

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by OneHungLow » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:18 am

prospector wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:10 am
The first version of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was shown either in the late 40's or early Fifties. It was very scary for a young
boy, I can distinctly remember the movie, I chewed the end off my shirt collar, and got quite a dressing down from my mother.

Danny Kaye was the actor playing Walter Mitty.
I have not seen the original film, but your interesting comment has piqued my interest, and I will see if it is available online, on Netflix or, perhaps Amazon. I have read the original short story by James Thurber, which is a classic, of course...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1939 ... es-thurber

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:53 am

I loved flying the 47J2, five happy years on electricity line inspection. A great uninterrupted view out front which was superb for low level work.
47-line-patrol.jpg
However it let me down more than any other helicopter and at one point I reckoned it would be hard to beat my time on five cylinders when on four occasions an Inconel valve in the Lycoming decided to break. That was in addition to two full engine failures - here's one when we were based at Ternhill and we are waiting for an RAF Whirlwind to come and pick us up - it was flown by my later boss in Bristow.
LR-Engine-Failure2-nr-Ternhill.jpg
There were unusual moments as well. Looking for cannon balls reported to be on a usually submerged bit of land in the Bristol Channel at low tide, none found...
GASNV, PBA Flight Severn Estuary.jpg
GASNV, PBA Flight Severn Estuary.jpg (33.16 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by G~Man » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:09 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:53 am
I loved flying the 47J2, five happy years on electricity line inspection.
Oh how things have changed....well here in the US anyways.....

I am currently working a 210 day contract providing "rapid response" to power outages ofr Pacific Gas & Electric, (Yes THAT PG&E), over on the California coast with a Bell 407GX. (This was a quick MX flight after a re-torque so no gnomes....):

IMG_7112-EDIT (1).jpg
IMG_7115 (1).jpg
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by OneHungLow » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:25 pm

G~Man wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:09 pm
CharlieOneSix wrote:

I am currently working a 210 day contract providing "rapid response" to power outages ofr Pacific Gas & Electric, (Yes THAT PG&E), over on the California coast with a Bell 407GX. (This was a quick MX flight after a re-torque so no gnomes....):

So the gnomes are sensible enough not to trust an aircraft that has just gone through maintenance, until it has at least 10 hours of post maintenance flight time on it! ;)))

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by G~Man » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:30 pm

OneHungLow wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:25 pm
So the gnomes are sensible enough not to trust an aircraft that has just gone through maintenance, until it has at least 10 hours of post maintenance flight time on it! ;)))
Ha, not quite 10 hours, they just get to miss the 0.2 return to servic after a re-torque...... However, it may be scary at first as I am a "steam gauges not glass" pilot..... I had to see if I could attach my sextant and hand bearing compass in the aircraft to find my way.. :)) :)) :))

They fit, but not gonna lie, they do reduce the outside visibiity a tad....

IMG_7086-EDIT (1).jpg
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by OneHungLow » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:17 pm

G~Man wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:30 pm

Ha, not quite 10 hours, they just get to miss the 0.2 return to servic after a re-torque...... However, it may be scary at first as I am a "steam gauges not glass" pilot..... I had to see if I could attach my sextant and hand bearing compass in the aircraft to find my way.. :)) :)) :))

They fit, but not gonna lie, they do reduce the outside visibiity a tad....

.IMG_7086-EDIT (1).jpg
I was sorry to see that you neglected to fit an astrolabe! ;)))

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#10 Post by G~Man » Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:32 pm

OneHungLow wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:17 pm
Ha, and I have one at the house but not with me....

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:29 pm

G~Man wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:09 pm
CharlieOneSix wrote:
Things have certainly changed in the 50 years since I left that job in 1973. All we had was a line observer who had many boards with a one inch map overlaid by the lines, mainly 11Kv and 33Kv, and a tape recorder to record the faults. This is the outfit I used to work for - although it had a different name in my time - with kit that we would have given our eye teeth for!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by OneHungLow » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:56 pm

C16, excuse me for this whimsical question (which, of course, you don't have to answer), but I know that you have had a storied career, covering multiple aspects of heli ops, and a very fulfilling and successful life under the rotor as a helicopter pilot.

"Which aspect of the job, and which type of flying did you enjoy the best?"

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:50 pm

That's a difficult question OHL, as much of it is on a par for enjoyment. I'm very grateful for my time in the RN which set me up for life. I enjoyed that very much and just wish I'd had the sense to stay there for three more years to my next break point but my then wife wasn't keen on the separation when I was at sea. As for the job itself then my time as Chief Pilot of British Caledonian Helicopters in Aberdeen was the most fulfilling, plus all the trips to the Bell Fort Worth factory to introduce the Bell 214ST to the UK Register were challenging. I really enjoyed the varied air taxi work with Ferranti Helicopters as you met some fascinating and famous people. The electricity job was fun - two of us away with a helicopter for five days twice a month and my word did we get up to some mischief! I won't elaborate!

One I wouldn't do again is my short time as personal pilot to the owner of a large company - basically an on call 24 hours a day chauffeur and with little thanks from the boss. I didn't really enjoy my short time with Irish Helicopters, nor the enforced 11 years in Aberdeen with Bristow up until retirement after they took over BCAL Helicopters. I put up with those latter years to ensure a good pension. I hasten to add there was nothing wrong with Bristow, it just wasn't for me.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by OneHungLow » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:02 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:50 pm
That's a difficult question OHL, as much of it is on a par for enjoyment. I'm very grateful for my time in the RN which set me up for life. I enjoyed that very much and just wish I'd had the sense to stay there for three more years to my next break point but my then wife wasn't keen on the separation when I was at sea. As for the job itself then my time as Chief Pilot of British Caledonian Helicopters in Aberdeen was the most fulfilling, plus all the trips to the Bell Fort Worth factory to introduce the Bell 214ST to the UK Register were challenging. I really enjoyed the varied air taxi work with Ferranti Helicopters as you met some fascinating and famous people. The electricity job was fun - two of us away with a helicopter for five days twice a month and my word did we get up to some mischief! I won't elaborate!

One I wouldn't do again is my short time as personal pilot to the owner of a large company - basically an on call 24 hours a day chauffeur and with little thanks from the boss. I didn't really enjoy my short time with Irish Helicopters, nor the enforced 11 years in Aberdeen with Bristow up until retirement after they took over BCAL Helicopters. I put up with those latter years to ensure a good pension. I hasten to add there was nothing wrong with Bristow, it just wasn't for me.
Sir, as always, I thank you for your decent and, dare I say, it humble, assessment of a hugely interesting career. Would it be intrusive of me to ask if we can expect some sort autobiography or memoirs?

At the risk of being impertinent, I suggest you should! ;)))

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:31 am

No, no autobiography. I did tentatively start one for family a few years ago but soon ran out of steam!

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#16 Post by G~Man » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:18 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:31 am
I did tentatively start one for family a few years ago but soon ran out of steam!
I keep trying too....It mightt be easier to take a recorder with you to the bar one nigh....but on second thoughs..... :| B-)

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#17 Post by G~Man » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:31 am

OneHungLow wrote:
Fixed.... Oh and a star finder. AND...you can see my back-up camera now... B-) B-)

IMG_7181-EDIT (1).jpg

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by OneHungLow » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:08 am

G~Man wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:31 am
OneHungLow wrote:
Fixed.... Oh and a star finder. AND...you can see my back-up camera now... B-) B-)

.IMG_7181-EDIT (1).jpg
Ah now that looks and feels right ✅️

;)))

Have taken the liberty of forwarding your fine picture to a good friend. Who needs ADS-B etc. when you have an astrolabe.