The way it was.....

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

The way it was.....

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:16 pm

Just been thinning out old papers and binning them and I came across a Pilots Operations Report that I made on 20 January 1995. It was a 5hr 20 minute flight according to my logbook.
Routing ABZ-SF140-SUM-ABZ

On approaching the East Shetland Basin it became obvious that we were the only helicopter operating due to 10 metre waves and 55-60 kt winds. Bristow Sumburgh advised us that the Santa Fe 140 rig standby boat had called to say he would be unable to effect a rescue in the event of a ditching.

I asked for the situation to be referred to Aberdeen for a decision although I was happy to continue. Bristow Sumburgh advised that the Aberdeen Duty Captain gave the okay to continue.

I record this only as I can foresee that a landing in these circumstances could be referred to an Offshore Safety Committee and passed to Bristow for comment.
I believe things have changed since I retired in 1999 and this flight would not have taken place in these conditions.......however at that time operations in the prevailing weather were normal - it was just the safety boat comment which cast doubt on things. It was only after I retired in 1999 that sea state became a formal go/no go consideration. It's not recorded on the report but the Santa Fe 140 deck movement must have been within the Ops Manual limits for that helicopter type. That was a maximum pitch and roll of 5 degrees each and a deck heave of 5 metres.

I'm really glad that on days such as that one I can nowadays sit back in my armchair without risk of a callout from Ops...
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The way it was.....

#2 Post by Boac » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:24 pm

Aye - when you look back at the things we did 'for the company'................. Fortunately, like you, I am still around to 'look' :-bd

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by OneHungLow » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:26 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:16 pm

I'm really glad that on days such as that one I can nowadays sit back in my armchair without risk of a callout from Ops...
Surely that callout now comes in from your good lady wife! ;)))
The observer of fools in military south and north...

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:43 pm

....and presumably can be declined.................. :))

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OneHungLow » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:58 pm

Boac wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:43 pm
....and presumably can be declined.................. :))
Only a man who would fly in such wild North Sea conditions would dare to take such a bold course when it comes to SWMBO!

=))

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by OneHungLow » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:07 pm

In a more serious vein, I remember reading about this attempted helicopter rescue of a Japanese yachtsman that went awry during the so-called 'Perfect Storm' in 1991. Unable to complete a mid-air refueling the crew had to ditch in between swells running at almost 80 feet high. Those crew that jumped prior to ditching had to judge when they would hit the wave peaks. Setting out in such a sea state talks to the utmost bravery amongst all of them. Sadly one of the helicopter crew was lost and another injured when he slightly misjudged and fell into a trough, some 80 foot below the helicopter.

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/30-october-1991/
Unable to refuel, Major Ruvola made the decision to ditch the helicopter into the sea while the engines were still running. At 9:30 p.m., the Sikorsky’s number one engine flamed out from fuel starvation. With one engine still operating, Ruvola held the Pave Hawk in a hover over the raging ocean while Buschor, Mioli, Spillane and Smith jumped.

When the number two engine flamed out, Ruvola put the Pave Hawk into a hovering autorotation. Its blades came to a sudden stop when they hit the face of an oncoming wave. Ruvola was about 15 feet (4.6 meters) under water by the time he was able to escape from the sinking helicopter.

The Pave Hawk had gone down 90 miles (145 kilometers) south of Montauk Point in 100-knot (185 kilometers per hour) winds and 80-foot (25 meter) waves. After five hours in the water, four airmen were rescued by USCGC Tamaroa (WMEC-166), a 48-year-old former U.S. Navy fleet tug, operated by the Coast Guard since the end of World War II as a medium endurance cutter.
https://www.nytimes.com/1991/11/17/nyre ... e-sea.html