Close shaves - G-SAIG

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Close shaves - G-SAIG

#1 Post by OneHungLow » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:45 pm

I was looking through my very limited helicopter log and realised that I have flown this aircraft.
The Robinson R44 helicopter hover taxied across Runway 28 as the Spitfire was completing its landing roll. The propeller of the Spitfire contacted the empennage of the helicopter but neither pilot was aware there had been contact, although a bump was felt in the R44. The helicopter returned to the apron for an inspection, where damage to its empennage and tail rotor guard was discovered.
In fact the Spitfire's prop severed part of the tail rotor guard and partly sliced through the empennage.

Shaves don't closer than this...

I was speaking to one of the pilots at Headcorn today and he said that the pilot in India Golf was hover taxiing way to high, but that in this case his bad practice actually meant that four lives weren't lost. A pity his look out was as bad as his taxying. As a result of this one now has to ask Headcorn Radio (A/G Communication Service) for "permission" to cross the active despite the fact they have no legal authority to grant such clearances, "everything at one's own discretion". The informal system seems to work as there have been no further incidents.

Good lesson for me, in terms of lookout because of the flatter more circular approach flown by the Spitfire, it can be very hard to see. Eyes out on stalks today as the wing walkers were about, although the Spitfire and the sky divers took the day off. So many things to hit, so much still to learn, like if you decide to make up a new approach via the field that the sky divers usually use as the landing point, because the wing walk Stearman is in a tight circuit in front of you, don't fly over the big white arrow as it will probably rise and attempt to smite thee from the sky!

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _01-17.pdf
The observer of fools in military south and north...

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Close shaves - G-SAIG

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:25 pm

I can recall at least ten aircraft that I have flown that later crashed with four of them involving fatalities.
There may even be a few more that I am not aware of.
Glad to say that I was late for all of them.

PP