Okay - own up .........

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Okay - own up .........

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:45 pm

..........who cocked up this engine off landing? =))

Museo-Magazine-Paola-Pivi-A-Helicopter-Upside-Down-in-a-Public-Space-2006_800.jpg
Museo-Magazine-Paola-Pivi-A-Helicopter-Upside-Down-in-a-Public-Space-2006_800.jpg (97.59 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

stuart
Capt
Capt

Re: Okay - own up .........

#2 Post by stuart » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:42 pm

I had to look twice at that ! good one Charlie =))
it's good to be bad.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by 500N » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:02 pm

LOL, very good Charlie 16 :D

Any background to the art work, history of the helicopter ?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:24 pm

500N - the artist is Paola Pivi and this is what he had to say about it:

PIVI: The piece in which I was very conscious about the viewing space was one in which I installed a helicopter upside down in a public square in Salzburg in 2006. That was exactly what I wanted: a helicopter upside down in a public square, which meant that people driving in the car, riding the bus, or visiting that area of town would bump into a helicopter around the corner. That kind of unexpected encounter was really important to me. The major advantage of a gallery or museum is that the artist is protected by the architectural space and by the other people working there, like the curator or the director. That protection gives the artist a lot of freedom. The exhibition space is like a shield. When you work in a public space, you come face to face with people’s reactions. There is no filter. When I did the upside down helicopter, there was no protection there. It was in a public square, and the city of Salzburg went nuts about it.

As for the helicopter it seems it did not have a military career as Westland had it initially registered as G-17-4. This is a B Class Test Registration..... G-17- being allocated to Westland Helicopters. It was later registered as G-ATBZ on 22-3-65. It stayed with them until Bristow Helicopters bought it on 2-3-71 and they kept it until 10-9-82. It is noted on CAA documentation as being withdrawn from use a couple of months later. Bristow permanently grounded all their Wessex 60's after a fatal accident to G-ASWI on 13-8-81in the southern North Sea. If I remember correctly most of the wreckage was swallowed by shifting sands and not enough was ever recovered to determine why power was lost to the main gearbox. This accident occurred before Cockpit Voice Recorders and Flight Data Recorders became mandatory on North Sea helicopters. All 13 on board were killed. The accident report is here: https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/4-1983-westland-wessex-60-g-aswi-13-august-1981

I don't know who owned G-ATBZ at the time of the Salzburg art exhibition but it is now on display - the right way up - at the Helicopter Museum in Weston-Super-Mare. In June, 'hico-p', 'Wessex' and myself from this forum plus other aircrew and engineers of our former Squadron are visiting there as a group after our final annual reunion, 50 years after we disbanded.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by 500N » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:28 pm

Very interesting, thanks.

"It was in a public square, and the city of Salzburg went nuts about it."

Most towns would fight to get something like that nowadays, on the basis of you have to get the people in
before they can spend money.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:35 am

You would have to give a lot of thought to the aerofoil section of the rotor blades in order for it to be able to take off from that attitude. =))
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

hico-p
PPL
PPL

#7 Post by hico-p » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:04 pm

Well I only flew it once - at North Denes in December 1973, and I never left it like that!!

Never saw that intake shield before - anyone know if that was a standard mod?
... experience is the knowledge that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by 500N » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:15 pm

hico-p wrote:Well I only flew it once - at North Denes in December 1973, and I never left it like that!!

I bet that's what you say to them all :D

Sasless
CPL
CPL

#9 Post by Sasless » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:42 pm

I remember a Sikorsky S-58T doing something similar to that on a Rig Takeoff one night when heading home from the Ekofisk Field to Teeside.

The Pilot swore he did not go inverted but the Cabin Attendant said he walked on the overhead during the event.
Ass, Tin, Ticket...The Aircraft is a Re-Usable Container for the protection of the contents.

Tom Joad
Capt
Capt

#10 Post by Tom Joad » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:45 pm

Wouldn't you just love to see somebody start her up. :ymdevil:

GrumpyOldFart
Snr FO
Snr FO

#11 Post by GrumpyOldFart » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:01 pm

Wouldn't you just love to see somebody start her up.

... and if they do, hope that the tail rotor keeps on turning.
The older I get, the grumpier I get.
I may soon have to start biting people. X(