Test Message

Please introduce yourself if you are planning on staying around. Thanks
Bob
Capt
Capt

Re: Test Message

#141 Post by Bob » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:47 pm

I expect here it is simply a technicality, certainly nothing to get your panties in a bunch over
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#142 Post by Boac » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Have you noticed how TURGID the 'other place' has become? I look occasionally at R&N and see that there have been no posts today (10/12 - or 12/10 for the septics) on the Mumbai SIA cock-up since early this am UK time (Z). It is now nearly 1900(Z) and it is a worthy topic for a supposed 'Professional Pilots' Forum, and even the 'bedroom warriors' (the kid simmers) - notably the mainstay of TOP - are absent today.

This forum, however, yes - it has its 'rabids' and its confrontations, but it is VIBRANT. We have a wealth of aviation experience here, of all sorts, and frequent posts.

We owe Allison a huge debt of gratitude. The focus on advertising by Danny etc and now IB will eventually kill TOP. The sooner the better IMO.

Capetonian

#143 Post by Capetonian » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:28 pm

"The sooner the better IMO."

Also due to the rabid and ridiculous censorship and imposition of Porune views espoused by Wanking Wobbie Lloyd.

True Liberal
ATPL
ATPL

#144 Post by True Liberal » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Cacophonix wrote:I have no idea how the click counting and membership stats work and are used at TOP,

Yet you carry on as if you did. By the way, there are more similarities behind the scenes.

And now for some CAPITAL LETTERS, because as we all know whatever is written in CAPITAL LETTERS must be TRUE!

Just for BOAC, here are a few STATISTICS from an average day at pprune AND ops-normal:

MinerOps - Copy.jpg
MinerOps - Copy.jpg (9.52 KiB) Viewed 1166 times

As this place claims to be about aviation, it might be fun to have a little quiz about just that.
Let's make it multiple choice.

How many of the posts on Ops-normal are about aviation?

A) 96%
B) 66%
C) 16%
D) 6%

As a hint it might be worth knowing that on pprune it is 72%.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#145 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:23 pm

I suppose we few, we brave few, should be flattered that a denizen and friend of the mighty PPRuNe should spend so much time collating (and inventing not a few) stats about this site and TOP as well no doubt. Oh well, we all know the old saw about damned lies and statistics and one does wonder which side of that fine line you are prepared to favour True Liberal?

Do you lurk in a similar fashion on one or other of the PPRuNe breakaways like Fly Africa, for example, in your guise of honest stastician and moral reformer as a kind of "our man in Havana" intelligence gatherer? I am sure the stress and excitement must be draining for you! =))

Caco

True Liberal
ATPL
ATPL

#146 Post by True Liberal » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:51 pm

The numbers are available to all and takes less than five minutes to collect. You can do so yourself and check whatever you want.

But you wont, because you might just find something you wont like. It's so much safer to tell me that I'm a liar, isn't it.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#147 Post by Woody » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:56 pm

Oh s**t , it’s the school holidays again :-q
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#148 Post by Capetonian » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:16 pm

But you wont, because you might just find something you wont like.

I think the kid needs to go back to school.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#149 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:55 am

True Liberal wrote:The numbers are available to all and takes less than five minutes to collect. You can do so yourself and check whatever you want.

But you wont, because you might just find something you wont like. It's so much safer to tell me that I'm a liar, isn't it.

I did not actually accuse you of lying True Liberal. I merely pointed out, that in the manner of many men, you may use statistics to underpin or reinforce your own preconceived conclusions.

It would be rather facile if not irrelevant, not to say tedious or boring, to grind through any numbers to prove that PPRuNe has more active posters than ops-normal True Liberal, because a cursory examination of the two sites shows that to be so without any minor brain ache at all!

Ultimately I am sure that it is not anybody's intention here to compete or anything of that nature with any other site, nor to look for commercial remuneration based upon clicks and members, a la PPRuNe.

Think of this place's raison d'etre to be more akin to those resounding words of the Petrarchan sonnet that invigorated those early US immigrants to a better life. Not for us PPRuNe's failed colossus at Rhodes True Liberal!

Not like the brazen giant of PPRuNe fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
MOTHER OF EXILES. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Here we breathe the clean air of freedom, unsullied by enforced group think, censorship, scandal and the potential stench of collusion, corruption and, sometimes, outright criminality, that invades so many other places in these dark days True Liberal.

Here on this small gilded promontory on the outskirts of an unfashionable sub-net of the tinterweb we range free as those first settlers on the blessed soil of some Arcadian land, free as nature intended us to be!

Cue music sounds, lights and let the cast stare adoringly at the golden rays of the rising sun... cut! =))

Seriously though, personally, I do hope that ops-normal gets a bigger, more fully nerded group of aviation types, from commercial, military, instructors, private and would be pilots, technicians, enthusiasts and dreamers over time.

Still it has been built and they will come True Liberal, just as surely as you will be back again pointing out how we are doomed and insignificant against the panoply of some meaningless statistics that resound in your head only.

Caco

True Liberal
ATPL
ATPL

#150 Post by True Liberal » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:10 pm

So saying to someone they are "collating (and inventing not a few) stats about this site and TOP" is not saying they are lying? I see you've taken a cue or two from Trump and deployed alternative facts.

The rest of your monologue is something you really should ADDRESS to Boac. After all, he was the one who began this STATISTICS thing and making COMPARISONS.

And now for something completely different.

In memoriam: 2017 on ops-normal (2017-2017).

Remembering the highlights of the year on ops-normal:

We learned that nothing is too trivial to be reported on the most popular thread and that some Nazis
are good people and that it's just terrible when they are banned on Twitter.

We've also heard how it is no problem that stories are completely made up as long as we agree with what is being said, and that not speaking up makes you complicit. If you are a Muslim, that is. Otherwise you can do whatever you want.

Another highlight was when we were told that sexual harassment and assault is just a bit of naughtiness and that Muslims run over and killed by a white terrorist had it coming.

Not everything was bad news though, as we learned that Muslims have perfect mental health and that it is only white terrorists who suffer from mental health problems. And that Fascists just used to be moderates.

We also learned that people who's politics we disagree with must be banned and that aviation is the least popular topic.

And so, another year is over and a new one has begun. The old: A few new members, a few of the same. Still, aviation is at the bottom of any list. The new: ?

Over to you, BOAC! TAKE IT AWAY!

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#151 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:33 am

True Liberal, to utilise an allusion to the old saw "damned lies and statistics", is not a literal accusation of lying, but rather a denigration the use of statistics to bolster a weak point or argument or dubious point of view.

Perhaps 'True Literal' might be a more accurate moniker for you! Indeed, given some of your rather sweeping generalisations, made in some of the arguments you have offered here, likening a point of view that you don't like to Trump's apocrypha, for example, is also very eristic of you! What I am implying here is that I believe you are more interested in generating conflict than in any essential search for the truth yourself.

That you are a skilled sophist, must be admitted!

I note that in Liberal circles, and I believe that I might be counted amongst that number by the way, that Trump has become to argument and debate what Hitler is to Godwin's law!

While I am no fan of Trump and his works, it is unfortunate that he has managed, amongst his many other crimes against the intellect, to undermine debate by becoming a convenient stick by which the intellectually lazy attempt to lambast their opponents without really debating at all themselves, seeking to win advantage by smearing, and associated moral disapprobrium, rather than by the clarity and veracity of their arguments!

Perhaps there should be a name for this kind of thing, which I shall henceforth refer to as Spode's or True Literal's Law!

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#152 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:53 am

For the record, I do grant TL that some of the facts that he notes in the list he adduced in his last post are correct, and one can only say that most of the referenced opinions are an affront to the civilised mind, but I suggest that the ops-normal policy of allowing people their right to express their opinions, however awful they may be to people like me, is the basis of freedom of speech. Where those opinions are tantamount to incitement to violence or other acts of hatred then the Moderator here has acted, quite correctly in my humble opinion, to ban those involved. Liberality allows for a diverse set of opinions and beliefs, often even when those opinions are not in accord with our own.

Caco

True Liberal
ATPL
ATPL

#153 Post by True Liberal » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:53 pm

I see you got a thesaurus for Christmas. Too bad you didn't get a subscription for Psychology Today too, as you would then have known that the more elaborate an explanation is, the more like it is, that it is untrue.

I'm pleased to see that you agree with me that too many disgusting opinions are being displayed here. Almost entirely by people unwanted at another place. Perhaps there is a connection there, that the same people are trying to bury in a pile of projection.

You, like so many more continue to misunderstand what "freedom of speech" means. It doesn't mean that you can plant your soapbox wherever you want, or that anyone is required to give you a platform.

I am also pleased to see the same people mention me in other threads when whatever conscience they have left starts to bother them.

I'll continue to be the pebble in their shoe.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#154 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:58 am

see you got a thesaurus for Christmas. Too bad you didn't get a subscription for Psychology Today too, as you would then have known that the more elaborate an explanation is, the more like it is, that it is untrue.

One doesn't need to have a thesaurus or the "Idiot's Guide to Psychology" to understand a True narcissist when one sees one!

You, like so many more continue to misunderstand what "freedom of speech" means. It doesn't mean that you can plant your soapbox wherever you want, or that anyone is required to give you a platform.

I am also pleased to see the same people mention me in other threads when whatever conscience they have left starts to bother them.

I'll continue to be the pebble in their shoe.

Thereby using, and abusing, the freedom and tolerance that this site accords you! In fact you use those very facets of the tolerance and freedom that you denigrate or wish to circumscribe, as outlined in your post above, to pursue your own illiberal agenda here and yet purport to be the only one who truly understands freedom of speech!

Your circular arguments, attention seeking psychology, grandiose behaviour and notions, unconstrained by any self doubt, would give a qualified psychologist much material to study!

Caco

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#155 Post by Woody » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:47 am

I just thought that he's a w***er =))
When all else fails, read the instructions.

True Liberal
ATPL
ATPL

#156 Post by True Liberal » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:17 pm

Oh, Caco. First you exalt the virtues of this site, then you criticize me for being nothing more than a regular member. How can I abuse anything by simply being opposed to certain views?

The fact is that there are members here who have promoted police states, fascism, racism, autocracy and similar. Yet it is me you are after.

And Woody, maybe it's time to become an individual and make up your own mind.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#157 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:42 pm

Oh, Caco. First you exalt the virtues of this site, then you criticize me for being nothing more than a regular member. How can I abuse anything by simply being opposed to certain views?

No criticism of you as a member TL, just your modus operandi sometmes. As for your views I actually agree with you in some cases.

Why not add positively to other parts of the site as TL. Less portentous! ;) Hell if you do that I'll drop the prolix.

Caco

True Liberal
ATPL
ATPL

#158 Post by True Liberal » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:24 pm

Cacophonix wrote:Why not add positively to other parts of the site as TL

Maybe I should do that. I've tried it as True Liberal, it didn't last long.

True Liberal
ATPL
ATPL

#159 Post by True Liberal » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:10 pm

As an addendum, I'll just let it be known that the member numbers are down by one. As I understand it, one was banned recently, but that doesn't usually affect the member numbers here. So someone must have deleted their account.

Additionally, the post numbers are still down. Now less that a quarter from the peak.

admin
Chief Engineer

#160 Post by admin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:48 pm

Received your application to join us TL. Need to think about it, as to whether we need another disruptive influence. Note your use of a Tor browser to provide anonymous IP addresses. Not something I'm particularly happy about.

You wrote "The fact is that there are members here who have promoted police states, fascism, racism, autocracy and similar". I believe we have successfully rooted out those you speak of.

Admin