Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Maryanne hello

#41 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:08 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:06 pm
G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:39 pm
The photograph reminded me of my Marianne story.
In 1965, my girlfriend was a tall blonde with long hair.
I took her to a college ball - which just happened to be the college which John Dunbar attended.
JB was, at the time, dating Marianne Faithfull.
The university newspaper didn't recognise me (I wasn't John Dunbar - who they knew because of his association with MF) so they published a 'spoiler' hinting at a rift between JB and MF.

:YMPARTY:
So does this mean that you took Marianne Faithfull to the college ball or did the university paper assume your ravishing partner at the ball was Marianne Faithfull?

An intriguing anecdote! :)
The latter - I never met MF - but I do like Mars bars.

A couple of years later I bumped into (or more accurately, she bumped into me) Christine Keeler on Park Lane - she asked me for a lift to the Playboy Club.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:11 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:08 pm

The latter - I never met MF - but I do like Mars bars.
:-bd

I always wondered if the Mars Bar tale was apocryphal?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/a-mar ... -that-gap/
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by Boac » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:22 pm

A shame - I went through a phase of always having a Mars Bar with me - after all, you never knew. I've always been faithfull to the taste of it. After all

Mars_9FBB0A50-E24A-11E4-91CE02E1F4801734.jpg.png
Mars_9FBB0A50-E24A-11E4-91CE02E1F4801734.jpg.png (8.83 KiB) Viewed 1994 times

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:22 pm

I guess that the Leonard Cohen song Goodbye Marrianne would be more appropriate in this case! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:27 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:22 pm
A shame - I went through a phase of always having a Mars Bar with me - after all, you never knew. I've always been faithfull to the taste of it. After all
I did some contract work for Mars (not developed by the chocolate company but used by it) on their Solar warehouse computer inventory management system back in the dark ages of my life. If one knew what was actually in the Mars bar it might lead to some reluctance to eat it no matter what naughty nook it was scoffed in... =))
In 1979 a horse called No Bombs won a race at Ascot - but was disqualified when traces of stimulant showed up in a post-race test. The horse's connections were mystified - until it emerged that No Bombs had pinched and eaten a stable lad's Mars bar shortly before the race. The chocolate contained caffeine and theobromine, two mild stimulants which are banned in horse racing, and the disqualification stood.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by Boac » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:34 pm

"The chocolate contained caffeine and theobromine" - which goes to show that in the (discredited) story there were several stimulants?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:35 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:34 pm
"The chocolate contained caffeine and theobromine" - which goes to show that in the (discredited) story there were several stimulants?
Indeed! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ribrash

#48 Post by ribrash » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:17 pm

Who remembers the dark chocolate Mars Bar or the Mars Bar choc ice.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:19 am

........or the Mars Bar choc ice.
Yes, and a Snickers one, also.

Decided that neither the chocolate nor the ice cream improved the original of either.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:14 am

Britain's first astronaut (or rather cosmonaut) Helen Sharman worked as a chemist for Mars. I guess she knew about the theobromine which is a vascular dilator and reduces blood pressure and increases good cholesterol, so not bad for humans but not really meant for race horses...

Helen Sharman back trip to Mars

Helen Sharman

As one of the Mir payees she garnered a lot of respect from the Russian crew, not only for her professionalism, her sense of humour, for never getting sick but also getting her science mission done. The consortium that paid for her flight paid the Russians only $1.7 million. A bargain basement price for an 8 day flight in Mir.
Arriving with the replacement crew of Artsebarski and Sergei Krikalev for a 1-week visit was Helen Sharman, the first British citizen to fly in space and the first woman to occupy Mir. Her flight had originally been an arrangement between Glavkosmos and a British business consortium. They would pay Glavkosmos for the ticket from money earned from the publicity, research, and entertainment produced by the first space flight of an ordinary British citizen. Sharman herself was probably the least likely person to fly in space. Twenty-six years old, she had been a chemist working at a giant candy company where she helped design the equipment that produced candy bars. When one day, coming home from work, she heard the radio broadcast announcing that the consortium was looking for applicants to fly to Mir, she scribbled the phone number on a gas receipt. “It was a distracting and intriguing thought: by [the consortium’s] fairly broad criteria . . . I was already . . . in a particular segment of the population any of whose members could become an astronaut.”

Sharman’s eight days in space were far from unique. She was offered bread and salt upon arrival. She experienced no space sickness. She talked with school children by ham radio. She did some science experiments. And to entertain herself and the men on Mir on her second night on board, she put on a ridiculous-looking, pink, frilly jumpsuit given to her by retired cosmonaut Alexei Leonov just before launch. “I got one of the ladies at the hotel to make it up for you.” Leonov said, his sweet round face lighting up in an infectious grin. “Just for fun.” To her delight, her crewmate Krikalev responded by digging out a tie that he had smuggled aboard so that he could dress “formally” as well. The tie, of course, refused to hang down; instead it floated straight out throughout the evening.

During her mission Mir began showing its first signs of age. Several times the computer system that oriented the station and its solar panels shut down, preventing the panels from producing electrical power from sunlight. Alarms rang, lights dimmed, and ventilation fans turned off as the station’s systems automatically acted to preserve its limited battery power. Though at no point were they in any danger, each time the crew scrambled to reboot the computer and regain control of the station. After a few hours, when the sun had recharged the batteries, things went back to normal.

Curiously, Sharman’s mission once again demonstrated the difficulties the Soviets were having in establishing their space program as a viable and profitable business. The original deal had called for a British consortium to pay between $4 million and $17 million for an eight-day flight. Instead, the British partners dropped out, and other monies never appeared. Negotiations in 1990 and early negotiations with various television companies went nowhere because media interest was instead focused on the Persian Gulf War. Covering the launch of a British cosmonaut seemed less newsworthy. Rather than cancel Sharman’s mission entirely and face the bad publicity that might ensue, Energia decided to send her up anyway, use her as a guinea pig to study medicine in space, and hope her flight would produce enough goodwill and positive public relations that other customers would soon follow. Though it was unclear where the money came from, Energia announced after the flight that the revenues from Sharman’s flight totaled about $1.7 million.
Zimmerman, Robert. Leaving Earth: Space Stations, Rival Superpowers, and the Quest for Interplanetary Travel . NATIONAL ACADEMY PRESS. Kindle Edition. 1991

Helen Sharman.JPG

Wouldn't it be nice to get someone like Helen Sharman as an ops-normal member!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:05 pm

A Mars a Day helps you work rest and play.

ribrash

#52 Post by ribrash » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:37 pm

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:19 am
........or the Mars Bar choc ice.
Yes, and a Snickers one, also.

Decided that neither the chocolate nor the ice cream improved the original of either.
Only improved when deep fried in batter. =)) =))

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by Boac » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:03 pm

Put a Snickers in yer knickers?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:11 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:03 pm
Put a Snickers in yer knickers?
There will be no knicker snickering here! [-X

;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by Boac » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:27 pm

What about a Marathon in your thong?
A careless Whispa
A Ripple on your nipple?
A Double Decker on your pecker?

Perhaps best to leave out 'Fudge', Munchies and CurlyWurly, and for our dear departed - 'Flake'. :))

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by barkingmad » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:48 pm

Re the Marianne Faithful legend I was an ill-bred but also ill-informed spotty teenager at my remote boarding school and the rumour we got was that it was a ‘Picnic’ bar which featured in the event.
I always recall thinking that confectionary might not have been too comfortable with the knobbly peanut texture covered in milk chocolate, so confirming my total absence of knowledge of the fairer sex.
Since when I have devoted considerable effort towards trying to learn what makes them tick and the studying continues but with limited success and no ultimate conclusion!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:52 pm

BM, nearer to your previous employ up north, the call went over the intercom. "Beware, someone has dropped a picnic bar in the elsan"

Who says no thread can't take a down turn?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by llondel » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:57 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:27 am
Sorry folks. No longer with us. She is not who she makes out to to be. The photo could have been lifted from anywhere on the 'net. I fell down on my due diligence checking for new applicants. 'appens.

Admin
Good job I didn't post a pic in my intro thread then... Just some good-looking bitches in the cute pet thread.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#59 Post by reddo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:02 pm

My niece is in Tasmania. G'day

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#60 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:22 pm

Reddo,I think you missed a few posts between the first and last. Now if your niece lived in Sweden she might be nearer.