Tis I, Snerdley.

Please introduce yourself if you are planning on staying around. Thanks
Snerdley
First Solo
First Solo

Tis I, Snerdley.

#1 Post by Snerdley » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:59 pm

Greetings all, and one! Snerdley is joining the frivolities. Long time lurker on TOP, less so here. Got into the aviation business in 1964, with British Eagle (Liverpool), not flying, not fixing, but if anything went wrong! Guess who caught the flak. After they closed, moved to the US working at TWA, smashing sorry, loading bags etc. then moved to Eastern Airlines as an operations agent, from 1971, until they closed in 1991. Decided to get out of the business and moved into Engineering. At Eagle, I believe that I flew with Loose Rivets on his Viscount check ride (Barney Potts, check captain) . Standing up the whole way as there was no jump seat on the Viscount. Imagine, standing up during stalls, efato’s and the like? No sims in those days, lots of fun. May have met Exspeedbird (on one of his trips to the US) also, on a cruise from Sydney to Vancouver a few years back. One evening, these was a astronomy lecture late at night, got to talking to this chap who said he was an ex BA Captain, we discussed Eagle and the ex B A Britannia’s, that Eagle flew. had to stop as the lecture on astroms began.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Tis I, Snerdley.

#2 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:12 pm

Welcome Snerdley, good to have you on board.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by FD2 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:47 pm

Hello and welcome Snerdley!

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by EA01 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:27 am

Hello Snerdley!, Welcome!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:27 am

Hi Snerdley - welcome from me too.

ribrash

#6 Post by ribrash » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:54 am

Welcome.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by tango15 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:38 am

Hi Snerdley and welcome.

Worked for British Eagle @ LPL in '64, eh? Well I worked for the opposition, so there! I well remember Barney Potts and others who snuck over from Starways after it's demise. You'll no doubt remember others, such as Muriel Usher (Mush).

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by ian16th » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:43 pm

Hi Snerdley and welcome to the mad house.
Cynicism improves with age

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:21 pm

Welcome, Snerdley - what is the origin of your screen-name?

Mine is a follow-on of a works nick-name based on my initials that I used as my screen ID when group-flying on FlightSim.

Snerdley
First Solo
First Solo

#10 Post by Snerdley » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:02 pm

Thank you one and all for your kind welcome to the nut house, sorry, I mean ON.

Tango15, sorry, slight typo on date, I joined Eagle shortly after G-AMOL did its tragic thing in 1965. Now there is a name from the past, yes, remember Mush, was she not the “voice if Liverpool Airport” making all of the announcements? It has been over Fifty Years! ( Egads! And I am only 29 now). When I left for the USA (about a year after Eagle closed) Bride, 2 kids and self. Flew on Cambrian to GLA, then Loftleider to NYC. Had a ton of excess baggage, Cambrian ticket counter folks remembered me, and “looked the other way” Great bunch of guys!

G-CPTN, nothing special in the screen name, came across it whilst doing some research a few years ago, and it “stuck in me ‘ead” (some say there is nothing in there anyway).

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by tango15 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:44 pm

Snerdley wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:02 pm
Thank you one and all for your kind welcome to the nut house, sorry, I mean ON.

Tango15, sorry, slight typo on date, I joined Eagle shortly after G-AMOL did its tragic thing in 1965. Now there is a name from the past, yes, remember Mush, was she not the “voice if Liverpool Airport” making all of the announcements? It has been over Fifty Years! ( Egads! And I am only 29 now). When I left for the USA (about a year after Eagle closed) Bride, 2 kids and self. Flew on Cambrian to GLA, then Loftleider to NYC. Had a ton of excess baggage, Cambrian ticket counter folks remembered me, and “looked the other way” Great bunch of guys!

G-CPTN, nothing special in the screen name, came across it whilst doing some research a few years ago, and it “stuck in me ‘ead” (some say there is nothing in there anyway).
Mush worked in teleprinters - remember them? :) (in the corridor, to the right as you walked in through the main entrance). By the way, I don't know whether you know, but the building is now a Crowne Plaza hotel, which has been very faithfully restored. Yes, in those day whether you were red and black (Eagle) or red and white (Cambrian) you were all part of one big family in those days. If you remember Ken Fielding, he's still taking photos of aircraft. (He famously took the photos of Oscar Echo when it tried to enter the terminal building that day!)

Snerdley
First Solo
First Solo

#12 Post by Snerdley » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:10 pm

Tango15, thanks for that, yes, now I remember who MusH, she her AFTN messages was, age is a terrible thing! Would you belive it, that Ken Fielding and I are best mates? We first met in school when we were about 12yrs. old (about 1956) The following summer, we were at a loose end, so I suggested we go to Speke Airport, so we did, took the number 81 bus from Balliol Road, Bootle, missed the airport! Got off the next stop and walked back to the Airport. I think we saw one Starways C-47 that day, because we arrived at the busy time of day! The airport is a little different now! Ken currently lives in Manchester, my bride and I live in Florida. Have visited the Crowne Plaza, with Ken, About ten years ago and agree “nice place” Ken Actually got me the job with Eagle, I interviewed with Jim Kent, but I missed OE as I was off that day!

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#13 Post by jimtherev » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:23 pm

Sorry to have missed your arrival - me mind elsewhere!
Greetings, welcome and blessings,
Jim