talmacapt

Please introduce yourself if you are planning on staying around. Thanks
talmacapt
Capt
Capt
Re: talmacapt

#21 Post by talmacapt » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:30 pm

EA

It is pleasant in Levi, Kittila and have been there often during November for aurora viewing, staying in a glass roofed igloo.

This year we have hired a mokki (summer? cottage) about 70 km north of Kittila for my 75 birthday in November.

The aurora are coming towards a maximum so hopefully it should be good.

My sister, and husband, will join us from UK - I am not sure they have seen the aurora.

We, as usual, will take the car carrier train overnight to Kolari, goes 3 times per week - can't be many countries where car trains still run.

Saves driving 1100+ km in what can be quite difficult conditions at that time of the year.

FD

BA had a daily non-stop lhr - lax service in the 70s, which went on to Auckland, operated with ANZ DC10-30s.

BA crewed it to lax and the Kiwis took it on to NZ.

When BA started to get the RR 747-200s they eventally took over the sector with the DC10 operating to lax 2/week.

The aircraft would then operate various stateside trips for BA for the week before returning to NZ.

The conversion course meant 3 months in Auckland - very pleasant as a 30year old would be an understatement!!

We were given allowances to stay in the hotel in Auckland and a rental car between two which could be filled for free at the airport (bought a large jerry can to increase our range).

Four of us hired a house in Howick for the duration.

The worst wine I have drunk must be Pakaranga red - I hope it has improved.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#22 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:47 pm

talmacapt wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:49 am

ExA

I had to look up kilju as I had not heard of it. I know people who make it but hadn't realised that is what it is called.

I thought someone may have been pulling your leg as kilju is pronounced "kill you" in Finnish.
Yes aware of this talmacapt. As you now know it is just a quick way of turning sugar into alcohol. The way we produce it, it is practically tasteless. We add our own limes and a tops of soda water or our own lemons and tops of bitter lemon. Been producing it for 18 months now, still not killed us. In bad times such as now we have 70 ltrs on the go at a time. Current ban has been 6 weeks so far, expecting at least 8. The bootleggers are loving it. Are we allowed to refer to the 'black' market down here? :YMPARTY:
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by FD2 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:51 pm

Thanks talma. Auckland must have been quite different back then - only visited the place to visit a chum and won't be going back. We're in the South Island.

Something that has definitely changed is the wine! (*) :-bd :D

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:04 pm

First trip to Auckland, with BA , we had a 3 day stopover. Leaving the hotel the receptionist asked how we had found our first stay in New Zealand ? the F/O just replied - Hebrews 13, verse 8. He refused to tell me what it was, and I had to wait until I got to the next stop and had access to the hotel Gideon Bible.

Qantas Capt. arriving Auckland told his passengers to put there watches forward 2 hours and back 20 years.

Emigrated to NZ the year before BA stopped flying here, but Staff Travel then still available with Qantas and Air NZ - until Willie Wotsit removed it, and now can't even buy a ticket out, as Covid restrictions make it impossible to book a return flight. Guess there are worse places to be incarcerated ?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by FD2 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:14 pm

Agree about 'worse places' Speedy. The longer it goes on the less we're worried about a trip back to Europe and when doubts arise we visit a local winery for lunch and a glass or two... Things have changed a great deal for the better since we moved here 9 years ago but some problems need to be dealt with, like food prices, hoons, gangs etc.

Apologies for drifting off the thread talma.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:03 am

Life in New Zealand. FD2 - agree, and gang activity and Police being shot at is a worry. Locally our only worry is the habit of the local Supermarkets to almost always overcharge for items selected 'cos they're "On Special " Answer is always "the computer hasn't been updated ". Wonder how many people don't bother to check the till receipts, which makes the game a winner - for the Supermarkets.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:06 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:04 pm
Qantas Capt. arriving Auckland told his passengers to put there watches forward 2 hours and back 20 years.
We noticed that when visiting same period as talam, the Mess same as RAF in UK. Entrance faced north, east wing on left, west right, dining room toward west wing and at the back etc etc. Electric sockets all 5 amp and 15 amp, emergency water tank out the front as a swimming pool.
Even some of the buildings were wartime standard and age wooden ones.

Cars out the front of the Mess of all ages including the bachelors car of choice, MGs, MGA, with some modernised with a diagonal seat belt.