Changes to Attract New Members

Sisemen

Re: Changes to Attract New Members

#81 Post by Sisemen » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:42 am

Must admit I’m rather fond of ppruned. It encapsulates the reasons for this site and also sticks two fingers up at the other lot.

Rebrigade the topics so that social comes down the pecking order rather than at the top.

But hey, my opinion is merely that - otherwise I’ll go with the flow.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#82 Post by probes » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:33 am

Boac wrote: I would LIKE to see a small 'reference' forum inside, which ONLY holds accident etc report links

- but still a quote or a short explanation on what caught your attention added, please. I've noticed people don't click on the links otherwise (how? - being naturally on the curious side and having found some extra good things, I do, and several posts after the link often show people don't).

BaaG - you have a point, but people just ARE different and one can't like every single one. If 'social' goes bubbling down the page, at the end of a long serious day, it should be ok? In the long run the fact that posts are NOT deleted might motivate more think-and-post, maybe?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#83 Post by Boac » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:58 am

probes wrote:but still a quote or a short explanation
- absolutely - badly expressed by me. I mean NOT to have that particular thread disintegrate into the 'normal AB V B" battle - which can take place elsewhere. It all, of course, increases the mod load significantly.

msdad2
Snr FO
Snr FO

#84 Post by msdad2 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:41 am

What bull said.
Also I am going to get flamed here but I never quiet got the fascination and godlike status of posters putting up boob pics here or the other place.
It's like there are a plethera of dirty old men acting like schoolboys who don't realise that you no longer need to disguise yourself to sneak into the corner shop to buy a magazine from the top shelf. 95% of the internet can cover your needs with a simple google search whatever search term you use!
I hate Signatures!

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#85 Post by om15 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:04 am

I go along with all the points above, I think that it is a pity that quite a few well known names initially joined at the beginning and have now disappeared, Boac's points about more professional topics are very valid, as an engineer I have little to add to the informed pilot inputs but am still very interested in the information contained, there is a high proportion of the regulars with very impressive backgrounds in aviation and I would be very keen to share their experiences.
At the moment we seem to be a sort of super JB with the JB ambiance in every thread, good fun as JB is, I would like it to be a separate area in which anything goes, and another area where grown ups can discuss without annoyance.

We are rather too cliquey, I would like to see a site where people in aviation would like to gather, rather than a place where people shelter when they have been chucked off TOP.
So a new name, an area for serious aviation discussions, an "anything goes" JB but a clear understanding that the rest of the site has club rules.

Hopefully a few of the earlier attendees may return and we may attract fresh blood, Bull has a good point, anyone looking in here now might feel that it is not the place for them due to the rather overt ex pprune banned ethos.

Cave Canem

#86 Post by Cave Canem » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:45 am

We are rather too cliquey, I would like to see a site where people in aviation would like to gather, rather than a place where people shelter when they have been chucked off TOP.
So a new name, an area for serious aviation discussions, an "anything goes" JB but a clear understanding that the rest of the site has club rules.

Like a bunch of naughty school kids sniggering outside the headmaster's office... :)

Still, under enlightened stewardship, even the most immature, recalcitrant, delinquent rebel without a cause settles down and becomes a sensible contributor to the micro society of a forum (I speak for myself). Still we are all suffering from post PRuNe syndrome and need to be weaned from our aberrant ways and Alison has wrought the first stage of that therapy. Now on to the next harder stage... now where's my largactil?

Seriously though, some really good suggestions here. Forget PPRuNe. Build this site in a new way and they will come.

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#87 Post by limeygal » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:09 pm

:-BD

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#88 Post by probes » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:22 pm

Maybe there should be some kind of "Chatroom" for the "few drunken mates having a boring boozy conversation of little interest to anyone new" (they're not that bad if you know a bit more of them, btw, some are just a bit more verbal and vocal)?

reddo
Capt
Capt

#89 Post by reddo » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:28 pm

Hmm. Interesting one. I haven't been booted out of TOP, in fact I think I was their 1,000th member and I am still there. Personally, I don't want wannabes here. The bashes were ultimately ruined IMHO by the focus that were put on them.

I don't post that often in either forum as I have FB. At least here there's a bicycle thread that I can chat on without the usual bollox from anti cyclists.

admin
Chief Engineer

#90 Post by admin » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:06 am

Spent the day building initial stages of a replica new website for layout design and testing porpoises. Tried seals and walruses once, but they were a real pain to work with.

Server is only up occasionally. When it is the site can be found at http://www.av-gas.net. Contributions of a logo and site descriptor welcome.

Alison

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#91 Post by A Lutra Continua » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:36 am

Moonhowler forum needed to attract chemtrailers, troofers and other assorted head wobblers so we can poke them with sticks and watch them smash ice creams on their foreheads.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#92 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:43 am

ALC, I presume you are volunteering to Mod said forum?
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#93 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:47 am

Moonhowler forum needed to attract chemtrailers, troofers and other assorted head wobblers so we can poke them with sticks and watch them smash ice creams on their foreheads.

Are we going to supply the rolls of tinfoil and jars of peanut butter? 8-}
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#94 Post by A Lutra Continua » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:52 am

Alisoncc wrote:ALC, I presume you are volunteering to Mod said forum?

Nope, but the odd cat among the pigeons to set them off would not be beyond me.

Cave Canem

#95 Post by Cave Canem » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:10 am

admin wrote:Spent the day building initial stages of a replica new website for layout design and testing porpoises. Tried seals and walruses once, but they were a real pain to work with.

Server is only up occasionally. When it is the site can be found at http://www.av-gas.net. Contributions of a logo and site descriptor welcome.

Alison

Like the start of the layout and seeing the red nozzle made me think about how many incidents/accidents can be attributed to misfueling aircraft? It is a good sign that the first page of the site raises a serious aviation themed question!

I mean look what can happen when you use the wrong nozzle!

The National Transportation Safety Board released a preliminary report stating wrong fuel pumped into the plane caused the deadly crash in Las Cruces last month.

All four passengers on board were killed.

The Cessna 421C plane crashed on August 27 2014 shortly after take off from the Las Cruces Airport. It was carrying a medical team and a cancer patient who was being transported to Phoenix for medical treatment.

The airplane was registered to Elite Medical Air Transport from El Paso and was operated by Amigos Aviation.

The NTSB report stated the pilot, Freddy Martinez, 28, was seated in the cockpit before take off and told service technicians to fill the plane with 40 gallons of fuel.

The report, though, does not say if Martinez specified to the technicians what type fuel the plane required.

Forty gallons of Jet A fuel was pumped into the plane instead of the required aviation gasoline.

[bbvideo=560,315]http://www.kvia.com/news/ntsb-wrong-fuel-pumped-into-plane-that-went-down-in-las-cruces/27950286[/bbvideo]

Fly safely folks...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwilxduemMnJAhXJVxoKHc0DAlAQFggyMAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fflighttraining.aopa.org%2Fpdfs%2FSA16_Fuel_Awareness.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHsUPG0dTf2MH5g6Hw5xDIap6ryAA

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#96 Post by probes » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:52 am

Looks creative and pormi...porpoi...promising! :)

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#97 Post by ian16th » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:10 am

Pinky the pilot wrote:Are we going to supply the rolls of tinfoil and jars of peanut butter? 8-}

I like peanut butter!

It is a taste that was acquired from the YMCA van that came around the dispersal's at Marham, served with wonderful fresh crispy rolls.
Cynicism improves with age

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#98 Post by Boac » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:58 am

Back on topic!! Re Post #90 - Well, someone has to start - otherwise we have nothing to tear apart........

NB: assuming the site is to remain 'rooted' in Aviation?

"This site was born from dissatisfaction with another aviation site where the moderation was becoming ridiculous. It is now, not surprisingly, growing strongly in its own right

We offer an altogether better environment here (yes, there MUST be rules..) in which you can discuss matters of interest to those who follow aviation in all its forms. If you just need to burn off some hot air, we have the 'Hot Air' forum for you."
--------------------------------
Do you need an image-based logo? Why not just some artistic play with the words 'AvGas' (.net??) as you did with ppruned?

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#99 Post by probes » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:40 am

"Hot Air" could also be for threads sprouting from the serious ones that have provoked a bit off-topic thoughts?

Why was there (TOP) the policy of "No multiple threads", anyway?

Cave Canem

#100 Post by Cave Canem » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:50 am

Why was there (TOP) the policy of "No multiple threads", anyway?

You could ask what any TOP policy was as there didn't appear to be any consistency with regard to anything there, but enough of them.