Changes to Attract New Members

Capetonian

Re: Changes to Attract New Members

#61 Post by Capetonian » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:47 pm

I am not sure that we should be considering demographics as a qualification, but I do feel that someone should have the right to get rid of ('bin' as they derogatorily call it in TOP!) people who do not contribute positively.

That said, I tick 3 of the 4 boxes (arguably!)

1) Spent time in an aviation related industry. Y
2) Retired, semi-retired or close to. Y
3) Well able to express their thoughts in acceptable English. ?
4) Possibly with a background in the armed forces. N

I am no expert on search engines etc so can't suggest how to increase exposure, but I know we have experts here. Word of mouth always seems to me to be a good way of introducing people. I am at the stage of my life where I don't wish to meet anyone new unless it's through someone whom I like and respect. An obvious exception to that rule of thumb would be some of the young ladies whose images brighten these pages, thanks mainly to Slasher. Quite frankly I couldn't give a damn who introduces them to me!

I'd like to see a forum thread along the lines of travel hints and tips, to build up as a resource for people looking for travel advice regarding places to travel to, accommodation, transport, and local knowledge, such as bars where aforementioned young ladies can be encountered and seduced.

Other than that, thank you Alison for setting up this site and to all who have contributed to make it a pleasant place to while away a few hours between times spent pursuing the fairer sex (not that I'm obsessed with such matters, of course!)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by Boac » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:54 pm

wings.news?
airborne.news?
airborne.click?
hotair.???

admin
Chief Engineer

#63 Post by admin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:37 pm

Whilst domain names using the word "avgas" are already taken. The phrase "av-gas" was not. So would like a vote of confidence in the expenditure of AUS$15.00 of Alisons money for the name:-

http://www.av-gas.net for our revamped site.

One needs to be a little circumspect about the choice of a domain name as there are many opportunists out there who will jump in, register it and then try and sell it to you at some massively inflated price if they get the chance.

To many, forums of oldies spouting forth on their experiences might be considered a load of gas/hot air, in our case aviation related. So av gas seems appropriate some how.

Not that I will spit the dummy if you all say no. :YMHUG:

Do have http://www.notams.net also registered, just in case.

Alison
PS. Actually it was Boac's contribution of hotair above that prompted my actions. :D

stuart
Capt
Capt

#64 Post by stuart » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:50 pm

Very good choice imo, witty and apt.
it's good to be bad.

admin
Chief Engineer

#65 Post by admin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:05 pm

Thanks Stuart. Did give consideration to the phrase "mag-drop" but thought it might be showing my age. And far too esoteric for the younger breed of aeroplane jockey.

Alison

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by probes » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:25 pm

well, I'm happy with whatever as long as the forum does not disappear, neither the people :). (even though I do like NOTAMS, but I understand the considerations).

P.S 'interest in aviation' (for whatever reason) should be acceptable motivation for participating? Also travel tips are good, and first-hand advice.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by Boac » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:26 pm

av-gas is good.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by om15 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:31 pm

Yes sure, gets my vote..

You could have a sub forum for aviation totally unrepentant reprobates.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by Boac » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:41 pm

Nicely grabbed - I trust!!

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#70 Post by limeygal » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:53 pm

Sounds good to me

Tom Joad
Capt
Capt

#71 Post by Tom Joad » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:18 pm

av-gas.net, sounds good Alison.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by Boac » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:21 pm

......and it should be Alison's unless there is another Aus buyer.

GrumpyOldFart
Snr FO
Snr FO

#73 Post by GrumpyOldFart » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:42 pm

om15 wrote:
You could have a sub forum for aviation totally unrepentant reprobates.

Make that "AViation-related Totally Unrepentant Reprobate Debaters", or AVTURD...

...meanwhile, in other news...
The older I get, the grumpier I get.
I may soon have to start biting people. X(

admin
Chief Engineer

#74 Post by admin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:33 pm

Boac wrote:......and it should be Alison's unless there is another Aus buyer.

I registered it before announcing it Boac, so it's definitely ours to do with as we will. Chose the tld - top level domain, as ".net' as I have always considered forums like ours to be composed of a network of members. So .net seemed most appropriate.

Anyone who doesn't like www.av-gas.net needs to speak up now.

Now to the hard graft. How do we want it organised?

First category I feel should be aviation related as in "Aviation - Incidents, Insolvencies and Irritants" with perhaps subcategories of "Incidents" as "Heavies" and "Puddle-jumpers", not necessarily using those specific terms.

Then .........

Alison

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#75 Post by 500N » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:57 pm

Me

Not a great fan of hyphens in Domain names.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#76 Post by Boac » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:07 pm

Brilliant 'snaring'! I think the layout should be your call, Alison. Minor 'shuffling' can always follow.

My only bid would be 'Aviation related' as the top block holder. Apart from the 'obvious' fora, two particular 'include' requests from me - I would LIKE to see a small 'reference' forum inside, which ONLY holds accident etc report links rather than the embarrassing drivel we see 'elsewhere', and a forum for wannabees/Flt Simmers/modellers/enthusiasts etc is also, I feel, essential - providing we can capture enough 'willing expertise' we can help these folk, and they are important.

All the rest as they drop onto the table. I'm sure the 'need' for any you do not place at the start will become apparent as we go along.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#77 Post by Karearea » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:27 pm

Somebody earlier suggested avoiding the use of 'Professional acronyms' and slang terms - however, their use is fine with me but an Index Page explaining them would be helpful - I like to look them up, that's how I learn.
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

Cave Canem

#78 Post by Cave Canem » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:29 pm

Anyone who doesn't like http://www.av-gas.net needs to speak up now.

Thumbs up to that.

As for forum categories, I would plump for a " I learned about flying from that" category, a GA category, an aviation news category (i.e. industry, business and technology news both GA and Commercial and other like space industry related news, excluding accidents reports etc.) and a technical forum where I suggest we get somebody like TOP's Genghis or his like to pontificate.

+ Aviation History Section

admin
Chief Engineer

#79 Post by admin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:05 pm

Need a volunteer to actually design an acceptable layout for the main Aviation section. Perhaps an ex-heavy driver. Yours truly is just a lowly ex-LAME and driver of charter puddle-jumpers. 'Twas fun but not really qualified to specify how the big boys think.

Definitely need a Nostalgia section where I can chat about Bubblies, Twin Pins, Tin Triangles, Whistling Wheelbarrors and BN2A's, and the Mighty 10 of course.

As I will be migrating existing forum discussions need to take that into account. Don't want to lose what we've already got.

Come up with a good design and I might let you be the Mod for that section. On second thoughts that might put people off. ;)

Alison

Bull at a Gate
FO
FO
Re: Changes to Attract New Membe

#80 Post by Bull at a Gate » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:03 am

Ok, I suspect that some people are going to be offended here, but I mean well. This site has potential and I would like it to succeed so please understand, I mean this constructively.

We have too many examples here of what happens when there are no rules. Things get nasty. You can't trust everyone to play nicely. Take the lunatics posting about 9/11 being a conspiracy. All they are doing is stirring up trouble and causing great offence to many people.

On other occasions we have what should have been civil discussions degenerate into vulgar abuse, usually when one of us expresses a different point of view. Without a rule saying "please don't abuse anyone" the place comes to resemble the island in Lord of the Flies

It really is not an attractive site to an outsider. Most threads read like a few drunken mates are having a boring boozy conversation of little interest to anyone new. I am only here because I joined up early when I as curious about how things would turn out. If I came across a this site now I wouldn't bother signing up.

And finally, there are a couple of people here who need to learn about the idea of less sometimes being more. Some people feel the need to contribute to absolutely every topic under discussion. To a potential newcomer it looks very much like the site is the personal plaything of just a few people who need to get out more.

As Alison knows, I still check this place out regularly, but only because occasionally there are a few gems to be found every now and then. But oh my goodness, you have to dig through a lot of crap to find them.