The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread I

General Chit Chat
probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread 1

#1761 Post by probes » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:34 am

Alisoncc wrote:. whilst avoiding vegetables in the nightshade family - potatoes, tomatoes, etc. which make inflammatory diseases worse.

WHAT? Tomatoes??
You can't be serious. :(

MagnusP, the [bot] is the one telling others how nice we are. So I was told when I was puzzled.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1762 Post by 500N » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:36 am

Probes

I do know some people can't eat Tomatoes if they have stomach problems.
My grand father was one.

I haven't met many.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1763 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:54 am

Talking about warm temps. Just driving back from town and car ext temp gauge reading 35 degC. Thoughts turn to a long drink of lime cordial and cold water, possibly with some "G" in it, and a memory came flooding back that's worth sharing.

Fifty years ago, plus minus, I was running this electronics centre shown below at RAF Sharjah. So big inspection due by Wing Co from group?. He turns up at my place being shown around by young shiny Flying Off - Eng Off, and it is stinking hot as only the desert can get. Young FO says to his bosses boss would you like a cool drink, which he answers in the affirmative.

So I am instructed to get a bottle of issue lime squash/cordial. I collect a couple of glasses, a jug of cold water and a fresh bottle of squash. Which I shake and loosen the cap. Walk into the workshop and hand the bottle to the young FO whilst placing glasses and jug on bench.

Young shiny FO immediately says to Wing Co, you need to give these a really good shake, which he proceeds to do without noticing that a) I had already shaken it and b) I had loosen the cap. Sweet sticky lime cordial went everywhere all over very smart looking Wing Co. He was not a very happy chappy. Had to bite my lip to stop myself laughing.

sharjah.jpg

sharjah3.jpg

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1764 Post by handsfree » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:19 am

Raining quite heavily here at present.
Off to Manchester in a short while and then to Vienna with Jet2.
Hopefully the weather may be a little better there.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1765 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:40 am

Morning folks, Yeuky outside. Will need me waterproofs for today's efforts on the demolished lock. Hopefully, we'll be under a bit of cover cleaning bricks - its gotta be done, only about 5 million(ish) to go.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1766 Post by Magnus » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:15 am

Mainly domestic duties today, but have to fix the light in the garage; it's an ancient fluoro, but does the job. I also have to replace one of the outside security lights, but that can wait until Wednesday when I get my wrinkly discount from the big DIY store. I also need paint, both for here and for dottir#2's flat. Have to 'phone Mum and invite her for tea tomorrow (Chicken and mushroom orzotto - got to shift this huge chook somehow).

tony draper
Snr FO
Snr FO

#1767 Post by tony draper » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:51 am

By Law there used to be flaggons of Government issue Board of Trade lime juice in every ships store,it was literally undrinkable no matter what you did with it even diluting it with gin, but many decades ago when it was first introduced it was found to be excellant for scrubbing ships timber decking,brought it up a treat it did. ;;)

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1768 Post by Wodrick » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:59 am

Morning all,
Mid 20s for 30, pigs. Might rain 75-90%.
Just off for an assignation with a Vietnamese lady at Lidl. Sedative for dogs nothing more exciting.
Nil Further.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Beaufort

#1769 Post by Beaufort » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:09 am

Morning all, grey but mild.

Hound walked and domestic chores beckon. :ymsigh:

Later in the week it looks like we'll be cutting back some reed beds. No peace for the wicked. ;)

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1770 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:13 am

My post below went on twice. Not sure how to delete so edited to this.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1771 Post by Ibbie » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:14 am

Morning all.

Just returned from a foray into town with son. He bought a new smart phone only five weeks ago and it's broke.He and shop owner had severe words on Saturday, which achieved diddley squat. So this morning I ended up mediating. Result phone gone back to manufacturer and loan phone obtained. Then a quick trip round Erotiski for usual three months shop for bathroom items, as my three monthly pension has arrived.

Off to the local which reopened yesterday under new management, one of whom worked there before under the old management.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1772 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:18 am

Good morning folks. 35 in the shade and increasing.

Had the gardeners planting grass on another bare patch today. They dug it up from the side of the lagoon. It's green now but looks like a ploughed field.

Alison your story reminds me of a crew dinner we had on a Royal tour. HRH Princess Anne was our guest of honour. At these bashes we would always put one of the crew members who didn't normally meet the Royals next to the principle. Flt Sgt Bloggs wanted ketchup with his dinur. He smacked the bottom of the bottle and half the contents flew across HRH's plate. He was devastated HRH was amused.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#1773 Post by limeygal » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:44 am

Morning-back to work today after a week off :( Cool here. I think I might have to break out me cardi!

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1774 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:57 am

probes wrote:
Alisoncc wrote:. whilst avoiding vegetables in the nightshade family - potatoes, tomatoes, etc. which make inflammatory diseases worse.

WHAT? Tomatoes??
You can't be serious. :(.

Absolutely serious. Plants from the nightshade family and their edible bits, which includes eggplants and such, exacerbate inflammatory diseases. I am a huge believer in the concept of "You are what you eat". At close to 72, I am not on any prescription medication, and play golf regularly walking the course. Don't really have any aches and pains to speak of. Also doing a lot to keep dementia type things at bay as well, as shown by my setting up this site. :)

Alison
PS. Probes if you want to chat about such things off line happy to do so. PM me.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1775 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:34 am

Alisoncc wrote:
probes wrote:

WHAT? Tomatoes??
You can't be serious. :(.

Absolutely serious. Plants from the nightshade family and their edible bits, which includes eggplants and such, exacerbate inflammatory diseases. I am a huge believer in the concept of "You are what you eat". At close to 72, I am not on any prescription medication, and play golf regularly walking the course. Don't really have any aches and pains to speak of. Also doing a lot to keep dementia type things at bay as well, as shown by my setting up this site. :)

Alison
PS. Probes if you want to chat about such things off line happy to do so. PM me.

We can have a thread about health - obviously away from Jet Blast. Tomatoes belong to the same class as tobacco and you can destroy the paintwork of a car if you leave a cut tomato on it for a day or so. Also tomatoes should be peeled of in some cases it make it less irritating for the stomach.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Medical Issues

#1776 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:43 am

Alison I agree with RIS. A medical page would be good say under 'Non Aviation'. First thread: 'My Liver'.

Golly, this pre-lunch scotch is good.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Medical Issues

#1777 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:49 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:Alison I agree with RIS.

Golly, this pre-lunch scotch is good.

Thanks Ex-Ascot. Or should I say Con-Pilot the official scotch drinker of those fora.

Pity he has not joined us yet.

admin
Chief Engineer

#1778 Post by admin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:51 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:We can have a thread about health - obviously away from Jet Blast.

Originally wrote "How about under "Ppruned Projects and Bashes"?", since changed to a board all of it's own under Non-Aviation. Not sure I would welcome sceptics though. Those more interested in rubbishing and being negative than in making positive contributions.

Alison

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1779 Post by 500N » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:52 am

Would like a health thread.

Some of the best ways to learn is from others.

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1780 Post by Tall Bird » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:02 pm

Cold, misty and wet here. Every half hour or so the rain comes over the hill bringing greyness across the land. It's the sort of day to curl up before a real fire with a good book and glass of wine.

'Twas a very busy weekend what with the rugby :( and father's birthday :) Fortunately, most of the party attenders were keen to watch the matches.

I now know why, six months ago, it was almost impossible to get a hotel room in Newcastle this coming weekend: It's Scotland v Samoa Saturday afternoon. That should make the evening post gig entertainment interesting!