US Politics Hamsterwheel Mk I

General Chit Chat
A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: US Politics Hamsterwheel Mk I

#181 Post by A Lutra Continua » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:30 pm

Well, between Mr Rock and Mrs Palin, only one saw fit to vote for the Bamster.Image

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#182 Post by BenThere » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:34 pm

A lot of people chose him over better men, twice.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#183 Post by 500N » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:01 pm

Because of a lack of a good alternative and the light hadn't quite faded yet.

It has now.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#184 Post by BenThere » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:15 pm

Mitt Romney was probably the cleanest and most competent executive we'll ever get to nomination by either party. And we had the first four years of Obama to use as a yardstick. That we failed to elect him under those circumstances is a bad mark on us, our press, our entire system.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#185 Post by 500N » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:26 pm

Agree.

Airborne Aircrew
Capt
Capt

#186 Post by Airborne Aircrew » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Sorry Ben...

Mitt was a nice guy with a nice political "heritage" and some time in business to meld into that. But, with his heritage he was simply too "establishment" which is something that seems to have been thoroughly demonstrated in the difference between his first and second debate performances.

There's a reason why the top three in the Republican race aren't traditional politicians... Because "the people" are fed up with the useless twits... I'll almost guarantee you, if the Dems threw up a non-politician s/he'd leap to the top of the polls in a matter of weeks.

The USA as a whole, left or right, black/white or whatever, gay/straight or uncertain are fed up with Washington DC... The only place that doesn't seem to understand that is Washington DC..

America and, to be frank, the world needs someone who knows what the "vision" is and isn't afraid to go there... The establishment Republicans are the antithesis of what the country needs, period.
Reasons for being banned to date:-

1. Espousing extreme views
2. PITA, (love this one)...

brickhistory
Snr FO
Snr FO

#187 Post by brickhistory » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:42 pm

I believe there is a relationship between BenT's and AA's views regarding Romney.

He was, and is, a very decent man and skilled executive. He was, and is, essentially, a Democrat-lite. He simply did not inspire conservatives, hence they stayed home. He tried to fight fair and, given the media's relentless attacks against him (say, why is his wealth bad and yet, Hillary's hundreds of millions in wealth ((for doing, err, what?)) is just fine because she's looking out for the 'folks?), was doomed by his lackluster conservatism and popular caricature.

Despite the demonstrated failures of the first Obama term.

I was terribly surprised by that.

We do, indeed, need a leader, with a strong majority in each house, to stop, then rollback, the federal leviathan's overreach into areas it should never delve.
What's his plan? A Russian doesn't take a dump without a plan.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#188 Post by BenThere » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:48 pm

No, Mitt was more than that. He was accomplished outside of politics, though he grew up in a political family, the scion of which was also accomplished outside of politics. He was an achiever who did everything right, including winning as a Republican governor in the deepest of Blue states. What more did he have to do, could he possibly have done, to be more worthy than President Obama?

The choice was stark, and the American people chose tragically wrong. So here we are. Seven years into stagnation and demoralization, depression held off only by $8 trillion in deficit spending and another $5 trillion in QE money printing. That can't go on, and now the Fed can seemingly never restore normality to interest rates because the US government would be unable to service the debt, forcing a collapse in the world financial system. So Mitt didn't meet the perfection requirements and we chose a semi-pro golfer, AF1 vacationer, and utter neophyte dilettante to continue for another four years. Does the world in flames, the debt expanding, cities exploding in murder, executive order usurping the legislature, selective law enforcement, open borders, and all the rest we've gotten used to make you feel better?

I'm utterly depressed about where we came from and where we are, thanks largely to the results of the presidential election of 2012. We may have been able to turn it around then. Now it's going to be ever more difficult.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#189 Post by 500N » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:52 pm

Someone of hot air who had done nothing was chosen over someone of substance.

obgraham
Capt
Capt

#190 Post by obgraham » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:09 am

500N wrote:Someone of hot air who had done nothing was chosen over someone of substance.

But, 500N, it was all about the pigment, wasn't it?
And this next time, they're hoping it will all be about the number of X chromosomes.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#191 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:35 am

The Freddie Gray death in custody happened mid-April.
One of the things that doesn't happen often in the media these days is follow-up. I was curious about this so I thought I would.
The Mayor took actions which Police have felt threatened by if they did anything which was even remotely questionable. Thus they have stopped a lot of pro-active policing. In fact they have stopped many of the searches and questioning which civil liberties groups keep asking them to as they are "racist" and "oppressive".
The result has been 78 extra homicides in 6 months over last year, on course for 150+ per year. The average number of questionable deaths in custody in Baltimore per year....1, of which there is usually one every three years which was probably Police excessive force.
Not to justify Police brutality, but instead of 1 black guy getting beaten too hard by the cops and dying every 3 years, you now get 500 extra black guys shot dead* by other black guys (over 95% of Baltimore homicides are black guys).
The Mayor has hired a new Police Chief and brought in a multi-agency team to 'help'. Doesn't seem to have made the slightest difference in reducing the homicide increase.

http://data.baltimoresun.com/bing-maps/homicides/

*You get an awful lot more shot.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#192 Post by A Lutra Continua » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:33 am

Darwin moves in mysterious ways...

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#193 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:11 pm

Fox3 wrote:

but instead of 1 black guy getting beaten too hard by the cops and dying every 3 years, you now get 500 extra black guys shot dead* by other black guys (over 95% of Baltimore homicides are black guys).

But don't you see, Fox3? It's racist for a white guy to kill a black guy but when black guys kill each other, that's perfectly acceptable. As is when black guys kill white guys. That's not racist either.
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#194 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:53 pm

Given the crime split by ethnicity, one would expect the cops to beat to death a white guy only once every 60 years (and they probably have), so the fact that the last 5 have all been black is no evidence that the Police are racist.

CityofFlight
CPL
CPL

#195 Post by CityofFlight » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:39 am

This seems as good a place as any to post my analogy on Obama's politicizing the Oregon shooting (or pick any other one) as a means to take gun ownership away from law abiding citizens. It's obvious his political war continues to emerge that makes certain citizens vulnerable (his pattern paints a clear picture) and not a campaign that that deals with the social issues he's helped create, along with his DoJ.
If Obama thinks gun control will deal with the murders taking place and their social common denominator, then perhaps he should market the same agenda here, there and with every other, PC, victimized, Muslim, misogynist nation...pick one.

http://magazine.foxnews.com/celebrity/m ... -me-malala
Don't make excuses for nasty people. You can't put a flower in an asshole and call it a vase.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#196 Post by Stoneboat » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:00 am

Here's an article that pretty well sums up how the United States has fared under the current admiration. The old cliché 'Read it and weep' comes to mind...

Dear Martians

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#197 Post by Stoneboat » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:15 pm

Mark Steyn on the last night's Democratic debate.

The Alpha Female of a Beta-Male Debate.

MTOW
Capt
Capt

#198 Post by MTOW » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:08 pm

I watched a little of the debate. It seemed to me the men were consciously playing down any abilities they might possess (which may be debatable, I concede) in an attempt to make the lone female look better.

Even the way they were arranged, as fawning acolytes on either side of the central Queen figure, was blatant.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#199 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:20 pm

..and the comments that got the most re-tweets during the debate were made by..................Donald Trump!

Hillary is going down in every sense except one...that's Monica's job ;)

CityofFlight
CPL
CPL

#200 Post by CityofFlight » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:43 pm

Well...that's odd. I attempted a well written post on the above, hit submit and it's nowhere to be found. Hummmmmph! :| [-(

Apparently not as well written as I thought. :-?
Don't make excuses for nasty people. You can't put a flower in an asshole and call it a vase.