The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#4761 Post by llondel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:35 am

Evening all, not so much raining cats and dogs outside, more like hailing taxis. Severe weather warning in effect until the wee hours tomorrow. I'll probably have to drain water from the pool too, I reckon there's three or four inches excess at the moment and we're not finished yet. At least being a few hundred feet up the hill we're not in the flash flood zone.

lasernigel
Capt
Capt

#4762 Post by lasernigel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:10 am

Good day all. Off the grid for 3 months. Retired and living on a farm in the middle of nowhere, near Carcar in Cebu. Got married to a wonderful girl called Nena on the 21st December. The family have taken me in and although my knees have worsened look after me. Nena cares so much. Just got satellite internet installed today. Happy and relaxed.

Slasher

#4763 Post by Slasher » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:37 am

4mastacker wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:34 pm
One for Cap'n Slasher? An extra glass or two of 'shine may be required.

Bye-bye the 727
Cacophonix wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:43 pm
Aseman.JPG

I bet Slash flew for an outfit called Titsman.

Bye-bye Bionic Boeing in airline service anyway.

Good to see this working example in action at Farnborough last year.
Yep it was a damn fine ship and once you mastered and sorted out its foibles it was great to fly.

In the 200 srs the cockpit was so far ahead of the donks you couldn't hear 'em even with T/O thrust. This meant you were pretty dependent on engine instruments. Also pax row one was so quiet only the aircon packs tripping off indicated T/O thrust was being applied.

I flew the 727 with TAA back when it was still a full-blooded male. But over the years I noticed it was poofterised and neutered by having its engines hushkitted and one of its nuts removed (i.e. No 2 engine). A damn shame to have such a fine aircraft desexed like that.

Still, I do have memories of the good old days when I flew it.

IMG_1145.JPG

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4764 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:47 am

Weather locally has given the truth to all seasons in one day. Scattered at 4000 feet with scattered blizzards and 50 foot visibility and now bright sunshine and unlimited visibility!

Had a charming chat earlier with an ops-normaliser. Off to London again on business later today. Belated birthday dinner tonight.

I was wondering whether or not the Ex-Ascots have power yet. "Is die krag nou aangeskakel?"

My ex-wife sent me this interesting news about last night's meteorite explosion in the Cape Town area....

Meteorite 1.JPG
Meteorite 1.JPG (31.92 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Meteorite 2.JPG
Meteorite 2.JPG (27.99 KiB) Viewed 564 times
meteorite 3.JPG
meteorite 3.JPG (16.54 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4765 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:07 am

On the subject of the 727, it clearly was much beloved of the pilots who flew it and used and (sometimes) abused its hot rod like abilities.

vide. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_841_(1979)

Captain Harvey "Hoot" Gibson! I like that moniker!

Talking of monikers, and ex 727 Captains who flew the beast, how about Rod "Hot Stick" Slasher (aka the Boeing Mam man or Hot Rod to many happy ladies world wide)!

;)))

Caco

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4766 Post by ricardian » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:58 pm

Orkney Islands Council issued this weather warning just now:
Folks - It's going to be another cold one tonight, with road surface temperatures expected to drop to -3c. If you're out and about tonight or early tomorrow morning, please please go canny on the roads and mind on.....
👉Grit is not a magic potion – it takes time and traffic for the salt to be activated and do its job. Always drive to conditions. Please have this conversation with any new or inexperienced drivers in your household.
👉Here in Orkney, we don’t grit before 6am, and we don’t start any new gritting routes after 6pm – so use judgement on whether to travel later at night. And be prepared with warm clothing, a fully charged phone, snacks and drinks.
👉We can’t be everywhere at once with our gritters – roads and footpaths are prioritised so that major roads and routes to emergency services are treated first, followed by more minor routes. You can find out more about this hierarchy, including footpaths that are treated, in our Winter Service Plan: http://www.orkney.gov.uk/Council/W/Wint ... e-Plan.htm
👉There are around 320 grit bins located around Orkney! If you spot one running low, we’d sure appreciate you letting our Customer Service team know – call 01856 87 3535.
👉Be safe be seen! Whether walking or cycling on our roads, or out de-icing or shovelling snow.
There’s loads more on our website about being prepared for winter – take a look:👇🌬☃️❄️
http://www.orkney.gov.uk/Council/W/Winter-Safety.htm
Alas, I have to go out this evening to attend a farewell "do" for a couple who are moving back to Bristol to be near their son; I would have cried off but I've been detailed to give a brief speech thanking them for everything that they've done for the island since retiring & moving up here 10 years ago.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4767 Post by ricardian » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:04 pm

Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#4768 Post by Smeagol » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:31 pm

Ricardian
Brings back memories for me, I obtained my PPL at 17 years and 4 months courtesy of an RAF Special Flying Award, several years before I learned to drive. 50 years ago this year.
My, does't time fly!
We hates Bagginses!

Slasher

#4769 Post by Slasher » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:00 pm

Cacophonix wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:07 am
On the subject of the 727, it clearly was much beloved of the pilots who flew it and used and (sometimes) abused its hot rod like abilities.

vide. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_841_(1979)

Captain Harvey "Hoot" Gibson! I like that moniker!

Talking of monikers, and ex 727 Captains who flew the beast, how about Rod "Hot Stick" Slasher (aka the Boeing Mam man or Hot Rod to many happy ladies world wide)!

Re the above Caco:

Hoot did select flap 2 in an effort to reach F390. While it is posssible to do this everybody in Oz frowned on the practice. [-X

And nah I'll just leave it as plain ol' Slasher. Anything else and bods will think it's some bugger impersonating me or somethin'. 😧

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4770 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:57 pm

Good grief, Nigel's alive and survived the nuptials........good man! :-bd

A tad bit chilly today doing the school walk with No 1 grandson.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4771 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:10 pm

Looks like the Duke of Edinburgh won't be replacing Sebastian Vettel after all this season...

ribrash

#4772 Post by ribrash » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:44 pm

OFSO wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:10 pm
Looks like the Duke of Edinburgh won't be replacing Sebastian Vettel after all this season...
I wonder if he was asked to blow in the bag like ordinary folk would have to do ?

Capetonian

#4773 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:49 pm

They can't take his licence away as I believe neither he nor HM QE2 need one so there's not much point.

Can you imagine the reaction of the other party involved in the accident!

"What the f*** do you think you're doing you old .............. oh, sorry ......"

On a less frivolous note, I hope he's OK, it must have been a hell of a shock, apparently his Land Rover rolled.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4774 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:54 pm

Apparently, when the Queen asked where he was going, he told her that he was only going for a short spin.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

ribrash

#4775 Post by ribrash » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:04 pm

He will have the reactions of a Sloth.I wouldn't let him drive a Scalectrix.

Capetonian

#4776 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:07 pm

Apparently he and the other driver were both breathalysed and both negative.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4777 Post by llondel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:25 pm

OFSO wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:10 pm
He might be in the frame to replace Verstappen though.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4778 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:39 pm

Here's some good news...
Recently gave a NZ Microlight licence to a 16 yr. old, the minimum legal age for a M/Light lic. This was before he gained his driving licence at 17, tho he was driving under supervision. Good show. ( good pilot, too ! )

Slasher

#4779 Post by Slasher » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:58 pm

G'morning! Just woke up half hour ago to a bright and early 7am here. The sun is just up, birds have ceased their cacophony, and the Slasher Met station reading says an unbearable 17C outside... So back to sleep till it warms up to something civilised. 😴

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4780 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:42 am

Yesterday's trip into London was enlivened by one of those unfortunate incidents that are sent to try the civilised. Suited, booted and briefcased I caught the Tube into London. There were only 4 people in the carriage it been 13:00 hrs, these people being two rowdy people, a black bloke and a young white girl, and another well dressed young girl who decamped from that part ot the carriage to sit near Caco. I looked up from my Pilot Magazine mildly annoyed and another person, a young English chap got on at the next stop. My interest in the two idiots at the end of the carriage became intense however when the black bloke began to kick the girl and I had to move over there sharpish to tell him to desist otherwise I would knock him the **** out. Cue a litany of threats up to murder from the buffoon. I had by then moved my key into my fist with which to hit him in the eye if any such murderous attempt was made and I did something that I have always wanted to do. I pulled the emergency handle just before the next stop. Suffice it to say the pair had now been corralled by me and the other young English chap and they were both apprehended by the authorities. Boyfriend, girlfriend, pimp and prostitute I know not. Scum definitely.

Quo vadis Britain?

Caco