The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Slasher

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#7321 Post by Slasher » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:57 am

Jeez OFSO that must've hurt like buggery mate!

I went somewhere I shouldna gone on a nightstop once without protection (new TAA hostie) and had to have a pull-thru shoved down my barrel. Never known such pain in me life! :((

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7322 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:13 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:50 pm
I realise that this might not qualify as pointless, but the reason why the High Street is doomed:-
My son telephoned me at 9pm this evening (Sunday) to remind me of my grandson's forthcoming birthday.
As is the custom in our family, they have chosen a suitable present and I received an email by return with the details.
I went online and the item will be delivered (FOC) to the Sainsbury store at the end of their road - by 9am tomorrow.
I have emailed the order confirmation to my son and he has several days in which to collect the item (using these details).
How difficult is that?

I could add that they will be away in France (for mother-in-law's birthday) when grandson's birthday occurs, so sending a parcel from me would be fraught - and I haven't even identified where said item could be bought locally and this would delay dispatch of any parcel for at least a couple of days and they woyld have to be in to receive it or have to collect it from the sorting office in their city.

It all depends on the reliability of the delivery company (which I have to admit is improving over the last few years) and the support. For instance, I like to buy my electronic stuff from a shop literally 15 min walk. As I have said before when the phone headset fail within the warranty they replace it in less than 10 minutes, and once I needed to return something they did it right away. So they offer a huge perk in comparison with an e-shop.

The reliability of deliveries is improving but why wait even for 2 days. I am very tight fisted so when I want to buy something I really really need and want it now. Plan my time and walk straight into purchase and use. And I take delivery when I want not at a busy time in the office. Recently I purchased espresso capsules. I was running a bit low so I hopped on the metro train (not bothered with the car) 10 minutes walk and bought my capsules despite the free delivery. A fresh cup of coffee made from those capsules about 45 minutes from the time left home.

llondel,

Nice description

Ex A I am surprised you found a barber shop open today.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7323 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:11 am

Llondel it depends entirely where you live and the choice being available. On useful online/high street tool is to check stock/price before you go.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7324 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:22 am

RiS my appointment was actually for yesterday but he forgot. In fact he was seen going to bed at 07.00. Apologised to me at lunch and agreed to do it today. This is Amorgos, every day is the same. I will post a photo of the barber's shop later. Hasn't changed in 50 years.

Beer and eggs in the port for breakfast. Clear blue sea and sky.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

zarniwoop
Snr FO
Snr FO

#7325 Post by zarniwoop » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:22 am

the reason why the High Street is doomed
At least you had the option of picking up in store, I couldn't even do that when I needed to buy a couple of extra batteries for the video camera a few years ago.

Went into the big box store where I'd bought the camera to ask if they stocked them "We don't stock them here, they might be on the website, here's a leaflet"

Went across the corner to another electrical retailer and asked the same "We don't stock those here, there's some on our website, look here"

Neither bothered to ask for details of the camera or consider that I might not have a debit or credit card in order to make online purchases, never mind the hassle of setting up another online account just to make one purchase. in the end I did what they suggested but went to the Big River company instead, two batteries delivered to the office the next day with no revenue going to the high street.

The big box store has been closing branches left right and center, there used to be three in Oxford, now only one, the branch in the next town to me closed late last year, the other retailer went out of business completely, not much surprise when the staff are telling paying customers not to use the bricks and mortar outlets.

Should have been in the rant thread I suppose.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7326 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:25 pm

Got a major e-mail problem here. Junk coming in at about one a second all mail delivery failures. No idea what has triggered this but it is going to swamp the in box.

Photo of my barber in HIS chair.
Attachments
Barber.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7327 Post by ricardian » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:53 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:25 pm
Got a major e-mail problem here. Junk coming in at about one a second all mail delivery failures. No idea what has triggered this but it is going to swamp the in box.

Photo of my barber in HIS chair.
Looks very similar to the barber at RAF Sharjah 1963-64. Haircut & shave was about one rupee (1s/6d) with zits squeezed FOC
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7328 Post by OFSO » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:20 pm

Kidney stones: never felt it come down me willy but the torrent of blood as I peed was alarming. When I asked him next day Herr Doktor said "Vell, das ist das, meine Freunde" and it was.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7329 Post by llondel » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:27 pm

I was lucky on a couple of occasions, one was a brief sensation and something clinked in the toilet bowl, the other time was clearly at a much earlier stage and came out more like powder. This was many years ago, nothing bad since so hopefully I've removed whatever was causing it from my diet. Plus I drink a lot of water.

flynverted
Capt
Capt

#7330 Post by flynverted » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:04 am

Stuck in a hotel in KBMG for a few days. Went to the local grocer to get something for din dins... They had sushi, which I have never tried... So I figured wtf, I'll have a go..
Damn good stuff :D Prolly have it again tomorrow...

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7331 Post by Ibbie » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:11 am

Morning all.

Another blue and suny one here.

Taking Ed to vet this morning for his annual injections.

Then tonight we have the grandchildren staying over, as their mum is going out and tomorrow is a public holiday,

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7332 Post by handsfree » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:39 am

It may be a blue and sunny one here too but I can't tell because of the thick fog that abounds.
Getting grief from hayfever at present. The trees are all in blossom and the oilseed rape is coming into flower
just to add to the mix. Hopefully it will all be over in a couple of weeks and my nose will go back to normal.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7333 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:20 am

Morning folks, clear blue sky cool breeze. Did our morning walk and Mrs Ex-Ascot carried on to the house. I am not happy with our house now the f...ing frogs have built a monstrosity in front of it.

At a small taverna at the bottom of the village. Smell of fresh baked bread. The owner trained as a baker.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7334 Post by Fliegenmong » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:26 am

A cool morning walk about Kirra Hill, down Coolangatta foreshaw, noticed a part of the "Coolangatta' wreck is on display with a description....on toward Greenmount & Rainbow Bay, return on beachside....swim out fron of the Kirra Pavillion...dressed for work and go... :)
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7335 Post by ian16th » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:43 am

A video of the recent local sogginess.

Cynicism improves with age

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7336 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:44 am

Too cool for walking, barely above freezing with the wind out of the Arctic, but this will be fine for work as I have dirt to shovel and wood to move today. The air is so clear I can see for 93 million miles.
Fresh ground coffee is on the go, and I'm also enjoying fresh baked bread (I trained as a bread machine buyer ;))) ). Maybe this is why most Canadians are so productive, one simply has to get out and do something on a day like this. There's an entire continent to tame!

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7337 Post by Wodrick » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:01 am

morning all,
clear blue day heading for low 20s again.

Puppy school on Sunday went on too long, nearly 2 hours and we both lost interest, him after about 45mins.
Hurt knee again with too much walking too.
Will give it another go though and practice during the week.

Went for the regular inspection of the COPD machine, where I was accused of not using it which is just not true.
I have another appointment in the morning when there will be a translator to help me argue.
I don't have the vocabulary to loose my temper with a little girl.

One of my "girlfriends" is back in Mercadonna for the summer she has finished University but cant get a job.
She is now academically qualified as a psychiatrist OJT on a till.

SM is struggling with her eyes, they are both sore and inflamed. Can't be the cataract operations as they were two different surgeons.
She is at the Doctors.

I am trying to calm Henry.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Slasher

#7338 Post by Slasher » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:07 am

Evening. 6pm here. 26C. Not that I care as I've been inside the hotel all day. The Senior Tea Leaf Reader at HKG Met has TEMPO'd some RATS with RASH starting midnight. My roster for May is due out in an hour or so as I'm the most junior destructor so the last to get one, but I know I have a late start tomorrow.

Nothing much except bludge around today on me day orf. Slept some of it. Might duck out later for some chink dinna. Fancy some Ho Fun and beer.

The moonshine has been guzzled only twice a day owing to the fact I've been usually at work around lunchtime. This has extended the endurance of my present stash. Where possible I've supplanted it with Glamis at the whisky bar on days off for the purpose of eking.

Couldn't you've lodged an Objection with the local council sah before the Frogs erected their monstrosity?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7339 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:57 am

Capt, the frogs erected it illegally. Here you are not ordered to knock it down you just pay a fine. They have loads of dosh. No point in taking them to court. I have no respect for Greek courts having been given a 6 month suspended prison sentence for calling her a f...ing tourist.

Chef has just dragged us into the kitchen. The owner and his 92 yr old mother are gutting fish caught this morning. Fish and chips for lunch. And chip buttie with tomato ketchup. Just missing mushy peas.

Slasher

#7340 Post by Slasher » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:07 am

Sorry t'hear that sah. I hope you give 'em sheer unadulterated buggery in return. :ymtongue:

Sim roster published yet. Going out for a feed.