Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

General Chit Chat
Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

#821 Post by Magnus » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:07 pm

I hate to break this to Capetonian but, for once, the ffilthy ffrogs have done something right. Only 46% are prepared to download the coronavirus tracking app to their smartphones. Nice to see some bottle.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#822 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:19 pm

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#823 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:19 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:19 pm

It is a pity there 's a Priti Patel, useless smirking brown sack of ***** that she is.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#824 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:50 pm

British Airways pilot and captain Dave Fielding is explaining why aircrew left temporarily unemployed because most planes were grounded have begun working as volunteers in NHS hospitals, helping staff to unwind and cope with the rigours of dealing with the grim realities of Covid-19. The “tea and empathy” scheme, called Project Wingman, is proving popular with hospitals.

Fielding and colleagues from a number of airlines including easyJet, Virgin, Norwegian and SAS opened their first “first-class lounge” in the Whittington hospital in London two weeks ago, and then another at the nearby North Middlesex hospital. “It’s about using the skills aircrew have to spoil hospital staff and make them feel they’re special. They come off shift exhausted and weary and come into our lovely lounge and we pamper them, in the same way that passengers in first-class lounges at airports are used to being looked after. NHS staff aren’t used to being treated like that.

“Aircrew are good with people. We know how to ask the right questions and make people feel at their ease, as that’s what we do as crew. We’re now doing that in the NHS rather than in planes
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... -treatment

Some good sorts out there.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Cooda
CPL
CPL

#825 Post by Cooda » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:30 am

Still no community transfer here.
The main hospital’s Emergency Department has moved from its default position of being severely overcrowded to issuing a press release encouraging people to come in for treatment.
A couple of dickheads who had arrived from hotspots interstate have been fined for breaking quarantine. Their names have been suppressed to protect them from the lynch mobs.
stringent steps are being taken to protect our indigenous communities, as they are deemed particularly at risk due to chronic underlying health issues. Police roadblocks have been set up everywhere to restrict road access to the community lands. Frustrating to read,then, of large groups of indigenous people having to be dealt with by police for breaching the 10 people maximum rule.
At least there was toilet paper in the shops yesterday.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#826 Post by Boac » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:15 am

TGG wrote:It is a pity there 's a Priti Patel, useless smirking brown sack of *sh*t* that she is.
and as that Civil Servant found out, she never graduated from the school of apologies.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#827 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:13 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:19 pm
Wicked Plum, I don't usually listen to YouTube repeats if I heard them live. I only clicked this one as I quite like her, eye candy.

The clip takes me right back to the Kyber Pass restaurant at Faslane. Not an Indian accent to be heard, all from Glasgow.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#828 Post by barkingmad » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:42 am

Would this by any chance be the reason Priti Patel fell out with the Civil Service and the ensuing row erupted?

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/02/2 ... ng-review/

Somewhere else I read that she was pushing for the release of the report and that elements in the Civil Service (and possibly other interested/guilty parties) were sitting on it for whatever reason. Because she apparently has a “let’s get the job done and stop fannying about” attitude apparently this modus operandi did not go down well with the various Sir Humphrey’s and their associated lackeys.

If the story is true, then she has my full support as well as being easier on the eye than most of the crop of current Cabinet Ministers and assorted hangers-on!

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#829 Post by Magnus » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:48 am

My teeth are bored. I just keep eating rubbish. No real exercise apart from a bit of gardening, so my blood sugar is constantly high. My weight isn't bad (79kg and I'm 1.81m), but my core strength is getting poor. The "lockdown" is going to cause as many problems as it prevents. The UK is just over 10k deaths in patients diagnosed with Covid-19, but some estimates are now putting excess deaths due to the lockdown and economic downturn at potentially 150k. It's a mess.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#830 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:49 am

I tried to find that Godley clip on YT to put on TV couldn't find it.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#831 Post by Boac » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:52 am

Zttps://youtu.be/4mlXWChsxck

Replace z with h

Next time right click in the YT video window and 'Copy video URL'

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#832 Post by Woody » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:06 am

Now this is heartbreaking ~X(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52199185
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#833 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:43 am

Woody, they can only do take away if they have an off licence. At least they won't have to pay VAT or Duty on it. Even a month old beer can go off.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#834 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:53 am

An interesting article on page 7 of today's Australian Newspaper, apparently lifted from the Wall Street Journal, which refers to the use of Hydroxychloroquine to treat the Covid19 virus.

Authorities using the drug in France have note an jump in serious side effects.
Since march 27 the French Regional Centre of Pharmacovigilance in Nice, which is in charge of tracking hydroxychloroquine cases across the country, has received notifications about 54 COVID-19 patients who developed severe heart problems while taking the drug, according to the head of the centre, Milou-Daniel Drici.
It goes on to sat that seven of the patients suffered cardiac arrest and four died!
In most cases, the heart issues were clearly linked to the use of hydroxcychloroquine, which is well known to cause specific heart malfunctions.
(Bolding added)

Struth; Now they tell us!!!! ~X( Ah well, the bottle I took was finished 30 years ago. Hope that you have not started on them again Alison. Didn't you say elsewhere that you still had some left over from your taim bilong PNG?
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#835 Post by Hydromet » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:55 am

Are they the same as the Chloraquin tablets they gave us in PNG? Presume so.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#836 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:08 am

Think so, Hydromet. They were referred to as normally being anti malarials.

Not that the foul tasting stuff stopped me from getting a dose! ~X( Of malaria, that is! [-X :D
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#837 Post by Boac » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:12 am

Thankfully those being given the drugs in those days were generally reasonably fit - military mostly. Dishing it out willy-nilly today to those (old) and ill with the virus........................

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#838 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:27 am

The effects and known contra-indications of mefloquine and hydroxychloroquine were discussed here...

viewtopic.php?p=226946#p226946

As noted by Pinky the debilitating (and potentially fatal) cardiac effects of some of these drugs in combination with other agents are well known.

Use of these drugs is premature and potentially harmful
We sorely need an effective treatment for covid-19, but prevention by a vaccine or treatment with drugs that target specific structures in the virus are more likely to succeed than old drugs that may work in the laboratory but lack data supporting clinical use. No intervention should be assumed to be efficacious. Even drugs initially supported by evidence of effectiveness may later prove to be more harmful than beneficial. Too many medicines have been withdrawn because of adverse reactions after showing clinical promise.29 We need better, properly powered, randomised controlled trials of chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine. For now, except for supportive measures, infection with SARS-CoV-2 is “essentially untreatable.”
Contra Indications - Taking hydroxychloroquine with other agents that can affect your heart rhythm may increase your risk of irregular heartbeat, which may be life-threatening.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#839 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:28 am

PtP, 4 out of 54 died - 7.5%. Please remind me of the death rate of the CV deaths in France.

14,393 from 132,591 - 10.8% and those deaths don't allow for those in the 132591 that will also die.

CV stats, a statisticians delight, you can cut the numbers any way you wish.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#840 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:35 am

Hydromet wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:55 am
Are they the same as the Chloraquin tablets they gave us in PNG? Presume so.
I know when we went out to the Far East in 1964 we were given an anti-malarial, possibly quinine, every day. Some took the pill, others preferred the liquid version with Gin.

When we got to RAAF Butterworth they provided a much larger purple coated pill (I now know that was an enteric coating) that you had to take once a week. The pill jar appeared at breakfast every Sunday. I used to carry a few spare in case we were away Sunday. No idea what they were. Could they have been the Chloraquin?