General Chit Chat
G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#16961 Post by G-CPTN » Fri May 01, 2020 3:10 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:16 pm

It really does look as if we are going to get some water. The flood has got to the point top left (map below). We are bottom right. At a monitoring point just north of the current reach it was flowing at 44 million litres a minute. This is three times that of last year. There are folk up there on the ground and in the air tracking it. Villages have been evacuated. We are getting hourly reports during the day. All very exciting. We have had nothing like this for decades. Bets are being placed on when it will reach a certain point just outside Maun.
Will it threaten your demesne?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#16962 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri May 01, 2020 3:21 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:10 pm
Will it threaten your demesne?
Shouldn't do G-CPTN. To be honest we are very pessimistic about this. If we get enough water to be able to pump from the river again for irrigation we will be happy. If we get enough to form a lagoon again and get Squiffy Pussy III floating even better. If it comes up to our gate we will be delighted. This is the tree line so historically the limit. It would be a paddle to the steps to the jetty but that will remain above water. We very much doubt it will come to that. Would stop the bastards walking past the front of our estate though.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16963 Post by llondel » Fri May 01, 2020 3:37 pm

Alisoncc wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:14 am
Fabulous news Llon. Tell them they did well. Package of nice juicy brisket bones en-route. That's assuming the Leos you spoke of were yours.

Alison
No, it wasn't my dogs. I don't think they've ever met a coyote, although they've probably heard/smelled them.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16964 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri May 01, 2020 6:41 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:14 am
Rwy in Sight wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:21 am
Could someone who has no technical issues today enjoy a May day...
Would strange behaviour by your flight deck colleague merit a May Day by talking to themselves, sudden outbursts about political figures, ranting about how a pigeon has crapped on their car, taking a aircraft technical guide book out of their flight bag and earnestly perusing it, being nice to CC who’ve brought in a wrongly made hot beverage, defending Diane Abbott and Priti Patel in their maths competence, carrying a photo of Chump in their pocket, standing for a leg stretch and staring at the CB panel pondering why some rows are full and others have gaps, becoming apoplectic because one shoelace has snapped and so on and so on....

Alternatively it might liven up an otherwise boring sector?
Should you add "give me pain babe" on this list?

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#16965 Post by k3k3 » Fri May 01, 2020 9:41 pm

It looks like KnC has had his wings clipped in TOP.

He gets mentioned in the UK Politics Hamster Wheel today.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16966 Post by Wodrick » Fri May 01, 2020 10:02 pm

Is he banned aqui or did he just choose to go back ?
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16967 Post by Wodrick » Fri May 01, 2020 10:06 pm

It's 23c outside at present, I've just followed Henry in a short sleeve shirt, that's me not H.
If it gets much warmer it'll be shorts and sandals trouble with that being I binned my sandals last October as they were goosed.

Can't get new ones - no shops.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#16968 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat May 02, 2020 6:18 am

Morning folks. Usual weather, a cool 10 at dawn but should make 30. Electrician coming today to fit yet another inverter. A new one this time. No indication of how much this is all going to cost but a new inverter is about £8,000. I think the plan is to repair the original one and bring that one back. The office is closed at the moment so it is all a matter of sort the mess out when things calm down.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Capetonian

#16969 Post by Capetonian » Sat May 02, 2020 7:18 am

Is he (knC) banned aqui or did he just choose to go back ?
Who cares?
I had a glance at his excremental utterings on Pprune and every single one contains one or more links to that bible of the lefty unthinking brigade, the Guardian. Punctuated of course with his usual 'wit' and obnoxious jibes at anyone who does not share his bitter, jaundiced, and prejudiced view of the world.
Good riddance.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16970 Post by Ibbie » Sat May 02, 2020 7:29 am

Morning folks

It has turned to summer like at the flick of a switch.

Blue sky day , 20c already this morning.

I too will be considering shorts, short sleeve polo shirt and sandals once breakfast is consumed.

We is allowed out for a walk of up to an hour within a 1km radius of the house, between the hours of 10.00 and 12.00.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16971 Post by barkingmad » Sat May 02, 2020 7:29 am

RiS: re “Should you add ‘give me pain babe’ on that list”, when flying with our incredibly lovely Icelandic female F/O I used to wind her up by muttering that old chestnut; “Another empty kitchen!” when we would hear a female voice from another aircraft and/or from ATC.
I would get a beautiful but baleful glare from her and possibly a comment re my male chauvinist porcine qualities at which I would offer her my hand for chastisement.
Inevitably I received a polite refusal and the comment “No, I won’t ‘cos you might enjoy it!”
After which I reverted to staring at the C/B panel for intellectual challenge. But she was a very good aviator too! =((

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16972 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat May 02, 2020 7:57 am

Capetonian wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:18 am
Is he (knC) banned aqui or did he just choose to go back ?
Who cares?
I had a glance at his excremental utterings on Pprune and every single one contains one or more links to that bible of the lefty unthinking brigade, the Guardian. Punctuated of course with his usual 'wit' and obnoxious jibes at anyone who does not share his bitter, jaundiced, and prejudiced view of the world.
Good riddance.
As a reader of and subscriber to the Guardian and presumably being one of the "the lefty, unthinking brigade" you refer to I must tell you that I miss knC's somewhat caustic spirit. He represented an alternative viewpoint and disrupted the echo chamber that emerges here from time to to time. As for "prejudiced" my good friend, even you must see the irony here... ;)))

I am, of course, balanced, amiable and very reasonable, until I am not! :))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#16973 Post by larsssnowpharter » Sat May 02, 2020 8:26 am

I too find the Guardian good value especially as the on-line version is free! There is some very good journalism (with the exception of Polly Toynbee) and we should have open enough minds to, at least, read views that do not necessarily agree with our own.

My objection to KnC lies in his attacks on individuals.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16974 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat May 02, 2020 8:46 am

larsssnowpharter wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:26 am
I too find the Guardian good value especially as the on-line version is free! There is some very good journalism (with the exception of Polly Toynbee) and we should have open enough minds to, at least, read views that do not necessarily agree with our own.

My objection to KnC lies in his attacks on individuals.
Polytechnic... I agree, she can set one's teeth on edge...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16975 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat May 02, 2020 8:55 am

Nice story BM!

Capetonian

#16976 Post by Capetonian » Sat May 02, 2020 9:12 am

The Guardian is in many ways an example of journalism at its best. It is concisely and tightly written, in good English, generally devoid of typos and illiteracy, and properly proof-read.

Writers, I hesitate to call her a journalist, such as that harridan Polly Toynbee, drag it down. Several of their writers are not far behind.

It has by far the lowest circulation of any national daily newspaper at 134000, compared to The Observer 160000, Telegraph 335000 (April 2019 figures). That would not take into account those who read it online, free, despite the constant nagging that 'we should pay'. I'd have more respect for this ethic if it simply required a subscription, but I suspect it fears that if it were to do so, its internet readership would drop substantially, so there's a degree of hypocrisy there. It's not providing free online access out of charity.

I dislike the constant and unvarying attacks on Conservative politicians and denigration of capitalism and success. Reading the Guardian it is clear from whence KnC gets his ammunition.
I am, of course, balanced, amiable and very reasonable.......
Of course, always!
As for KnC my objection to KnC lies in his attacks on individuals.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16977 Post by Fliegenmong » Sat May 02, 2020 9:24 am

"in good English,"
Funny old turn of phrase that one Cape!

I used to work with some English people here, who could not of course let the opportunity of a 'put down' go by (i.e We are convicts, We are Yobbos etc etc.)....and then one day as one of them was telling me how a Japanese client could -

"Speak really good English"

To Which I replied -

"Surely you mean, they speak English very well!" ........ cue a very red face... :D
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16978 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat May 02, 2020 9:26 am

I once observed that a new Aldi in a market town was not one to which we would go after seeing how many of their new customers behaved. One family in particular appeared to have come straight from their piggery, neither parents had cleaned themselves or their sprogs and the latter were running around touching everything.

I was immediately denigrated as a snob.

He was a clear case where one should shoot the messenger rather than read his message.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16979 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat May 02, 2020 9:28 am

I was taught that is should be 'they have good English'.

😀

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16980 Post by Wodrick » Sat May 02, 2020 9:31 am

Morning campers, Hi de Hi,

CaV OK, 24 and rising, Paco guesses 26.

Paco, or one of his chums has issued TEMPERATURAS ANORMALMENTE ALTAS for the coming week.
That's abnormally high temperatures. He guesses mid to high 30s through to Wed/Thur.
It is for the whole country but mostly inland, those on the coastal strip won't hit those temperatures.

07.15 to 09.30 whistle needed.

Been putting it off but has to be today - shopping.