Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

General Chit Chat
Cooda
CPL
CPL
Re: Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

#1141 Post by Cooda » Mon May 11, 2020 9:25 pm

Call me a cynical, old spin doctor but, if there is real substance to the reports linking the US military to the outbreak in Wuhan, you’d expect the Chinese government to be rushing to embrace the international calls for an independent enquiry into the cause and handling of the outbreak.

Mind you, I’m not convinced by the “made in the Wuhan lab” claims either. Cynicism cuts both ways.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#1142 Post by prospector » Tue May 12, 2020 12:09 am

If the author of the article previously quoted is correct with his research into this virus, and the origin of it, the following, which looks very authentic, gives cause for doubt as to the widely held belief the virus originated in the Wuhan wet market.

"2018 American Coronavirus Patent Granted.

Secondly, let it be well understood that after approximately 15 years of development, this particular virus was patented in the United States. A U.S. Patent For ‘An Attenuated Coronavirus’ Was Filed In 2015 And Granted In 2018. And the actual text of the patent HERE.

"The present invention provides a live, attenuated coronavirus comprising a variant replicase gene encoding polyproteins comprising a mutation in one or more of non-structural protein(s) (nsp)-10, nsp-14, nsp-15 or nsp-16."
It is an identical description of the current coronavirus [COVID-19]

"... a mutation in one or more of non-structural protein(s) (nsp)-10, nsp-14, nsp-15 or nsp-16."
Let that sink in…"

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1143 Post by boing » Tue May 12, 2020 1:20 am

On the other hand if the concept was explained in the patent anybody else could copy it and the Chinese are very good at that. Perhaps they were experimenting with the idea in the Wuhan lab?

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#1144 Post by prospector » Tue May 12, 2020 1:46 am

Perhaps so, the chinese virologist Dr Shi, who was doing all the research on the bats was working in both the American and Chinese research labs, both of which were apparently shut down due to "leaks".

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1145 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue May 12, 2020 4:45 am

prospector, I am wondering if the leaks include and the press as well

I tried to buy the usual amount of fuel yesterday after several weeks and there was no space in the tank...

Cooda
CPL
CPL

#1146 Post by Cooda » Wed May 13, 2020 10:44 am

Well the Chinese Government is so confident the US Military Source story will stand up to independent scrutiny, they’ve just started a trade war against Australia over our support for the enquiry.

If they have nothing to hide, why adopt bellicose measures to avoid scrutiny?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1147 Post by Boac » Wed May 13, 2020 11:15 am

"If they have nothing to hide, why adopt bellicose measures to avoid scrutiny?"

Snap

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1148 Post by OFSO » Wed May 13, 2020 12:14 pm

6km along the Canal this morning. Bitterly cold wind. Jogging ladies in bikinis passing me wearing Heattech under cashmere pullover with quilted anorak on top. Had to stop for a pain au raisin and coffee to warm up.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1149 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed May 13, 2020 5:30 pm

And double dose of bromide?

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#1150 Post by larsssnowpharter » Wed May 13, 2020 6:58 pm

When I started this thread I spoke of Señora Larss' tea/coffee shop with a total of 5 employees. It is, perhaps, representative of many small businesses in the UK.

All the staff have now been furloughed and are getting 80% of their pay. The holiday on business rates is welcome. We have also negotiated a 50% reduction in rent based on the fact that we could go out of business thus giving the landlord zero income from the property.

The announcement yesterday of extending the furlough scheme until the end of October is welcome and offers a chance of survival but the future of the business (which keeps Señora Larss in shoes and handbags - no mean feat) looks difficult. It's a small place and, with 'social distancing' would be limited to 6or 8 covers which would make it non profitable, it seems. But not sure about this.

Some effort has been put into on line sales of speciality teas and chocolate. Sales up considerably on this which helps.

So, on this little business, a bit of belt tightening, a bit of innovation and fingers crossed.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1151 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed May 13, 2020 7:10 pm

Larss, quite a few businesses are thriving. There are either exploiting or taken the opportunity to change their business model. We used to visit these local pub and try and catch the fishman on alternative Thursdays. Now a man comes to their door every Tuesday. Another also visits Tuesday with a veg box. It is fixed price and their selection. This week our daughter's included fennel whereas we got aubergine. One £15 box lasts a fortnight. The pub does plated take-away dinners 3 days a week. The milk man does that and bread and eggs 3 days a week.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1152 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed May 13, 2020 7:19 pm

I am sitting here moaning, sipping some wine, having spent the day negotiating with a potential client and received notice from the US that we have just won the contract. My better half, who has effectively lost her business is cooking and she is telling me to"STFU' with my moaning about 'not flying etc.' and she is right. Despite all this we are still very lucky people...

As an agnostic I guess I should say "thank you Lord".... there are so many people suffering. I should be ashamed of myself...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#1153 Post by larsssnowpharter » Wed May 13, 2020 7:30 pm

PN

I agree with your sentiments but this place relies on a largely female clientele who come in for a gossip with their mates. It's a communal thing.

That and the cakes which were homebaked by two ladies and are truly exceptional.

Señora Larss has added the cakes to a home delivery round locally and we will see if that takes off but can't see a half cold cuppa left on the doorstep working somehow.

What has been a revelation has been going through the books! I had left Señora Larss to run her train set helping here and there. For a lady with a degree in 'commerce' all I can say is she must have forgotten a lot! That, and fire her accountant!

Capetonian

#1154 Post by Capetonian » Wed May 13, 2020 7:44 pm

I am moaning about being in lockdown and not able to travel. I have been incredibly fortunate in the travelling I've done in the last 50 years, I have had trips that most people could not even dream of, and I used to get on 'planes at the drop of a hat, on a whim. For the time being that's over and I feel hard done by. Of course, I shouldn't.

I stopped working completely 2 years ago, by choice, as I got fed up with the mindless dumbing down of everything and everybody I was working with, so after a month working in Ireland, had a wonderful time, and then walked away from it.

The team I worked with now have no work and some of them depended on the income so a lot of people are in the *****. It makes absolutely no difference to me at all though - luckily. I feel it my duty to help out a few friends who, living from hand to mouth, are finding things very tough indeed.

My income is not affected, as I have none apart from my pensions, which I'm not relying on anyway, and although my investments have dived in value, I'm not drawing from them and I was sitting on plenty of cash when this struck, and that has not lost its value.

I am incredibly fortunate, although making good decisions has played a part in finding myself in this position. I do feel for those who are less fortunate.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1155 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed May 13, 2020 7:48 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:44 pm
I am incredibly fortunate, although making good decisions has played a part in finding myself in this position. I do feel for those who are less fortunate.
Good luck, good health and happiness to you my friend...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#1156 Post by larsssnowpharter » Wed May 13, 2020 7:53 pm

Well, Gobbets, me old there is a saying that "God helps those that help themselves".

Before this crap happened, I thought I was sitting pretty with a couple of pensions coming in, rental properties and Airbnb properties. Rental income down 25%, Airbnb nonexistent and you know the problems with my wife's business.

So, basically I went back to work for my old employer doing incident investigation in petrochemical plants in the Middle East. That and I also do some translation work which I had stopped. There was an interesting Zoom interpreting job last week that was fun.

That and basically homeschooling the Sproglettes (now 12 and 14) and dog walking leaves me working about 12 hours a day.

And, God, I need a haircut!

Capetonian

#1157 Post by Capetonian » Wed May 13, 2020 7:54 pm

although making good decisions has played a part in finding myself in this position.
More accurately, I should probably say that taking good advice and (sometimes) following it has helped me.

fin
Capt
Capt

#1158 Post by fin » Wed May 13, 2020 8:34 pm

Cape u hv mail x 2
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Capetonian

#1159 Post by Capetonian » Wed May 13, 2020 8:45 pm

Thanks Fin, appreciated, that will be my bedtime reading or with my first cuppa in the morning! Cheers.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1160 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed May 13, 2020 8:47 pm

Infamy, infamy.... :)) =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."