Smoke, steam, coal and a cold pie with a mug of tea!

General Chit Chat
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Smoke, steam, coal and a cold pie with a mug of tea!

#21 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:17 pm

Vould you like to have a roll in ze hay? :YMHUG: :ymdevil:

PP

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#22 Post by Smeagol » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:57 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:55 am
, but there was never an accident, unlike at the Modderfontein dynamite factory near Johannesburg, that used to blow up with monotonous regularity, shattering windows for miles around, another childhood memory!

A little less dangerous passenger type of steam train en route to Simon's Town.
That reminds me of one of my first projects after emigrating to SA in 1975 at the AECI explosives factory in Somerset West. No Big Bang but it came bloody close, could have taken most of Somerset West off the map if things had been slightly different. Was also working in the neighbouring Somchem factory which made military explosives until they found I was a new immigrant and thus did not pass their security requirements. That was a very pretty place that made some nasty materials, and looking at google it still probably makes similar stuff. Glad I don't live anywhere near there!
We hates Bagginses!

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by John Hill » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:30 pm

Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by John Hill » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:47 pm

DromoreRailwayStation1967.jpg
'Our' local railway station, long gone now! :(

There was a spur that went to the farm but this is where we kids caught the train to school (c.1952).

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:44 am

John Hill wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:06 am
"You stupid idiots, can't you see those poor people are SLAVES?"
My understanding, at the time I was resident there (early-mid seventies) was that the vast bulk of the NR mine workers were from Malawi. They considered it an honour to be chosen by their village elder to go. Most of their wages were paid directly to the elder for the upkeep of their village whilst away. Their return to the village after a stint down the mines was cause for massive week-long celebrations, drinking and feasting, also when the returning workers got to choose a wife.

This I was reliably informed of by the head boy in our hangar. Apparently local NR's were quite envious of the "imports".
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:23 am

Alisoncc wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:44 am
John Hill wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:06 am
"You stupid idiots, can't you see those poor people are SLAVES?"
My understanding, at the time I was resident there (early-mid seventies) was that the vast bulk of the NR mine workers were from Malawi. They considered it an honour to be chosen by their village elder to go. Most of their wages were paid directly to the elder for the upkeep of their village whilst away. Their return to the village after a stint down the mines was cause for massive week-long celebrations, drinking and feasting, also when the returning workers got to choose a wife.

This I was reliably informed of by the head boy in our hangar. Apparently local NR's were quite envious of the "imports".
Listen to Hugh Masekela's song. It tells the story of these migrant workers who came from all over Africa, from Malawi as well, but mostly, Apartheid's Bantustans. The workers, or least those who weren't killed in the incredibly dangerous conditions in many of SA's mines, did bring money back to their impoverished areas or countries, but it was an insidious exploitative cycle, and entrenched African poverty, while ensuring dirt cheap labour for the mining houses. It was a shameful period in our history and was an integral part of the Apartheid system.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by John Hill » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:26 am

I do not recall exactly but I am sure the message in the film they showed us school kids painted a very positive picture of the advantages enjoyed by the mine and factory workers.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:33 am

Smeagol wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:57 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:55 am
, but there was never an accident, unlike at the Modderfontein dynamite factory near Johannesburg, that used to blow up with monotonous regularity, shattering windows for miles around, another childhood memory!

A little less dangerous passenger type of steam train en route to Simon's Town.
That reminds me of one of my first projects after emigrating to SA in 1975 at the AECI explosives factory in Somerset West. No Big Bang but it came bloody close, could have taken most of Somerset West off the map if things had been slightly different. Was also working in the neighbouring Somchem factory which made military explosives until they found I was a new immigrant and thus did not pass their security requirements. That was a very pretty place that made some nasty materials, and looking at google it still probably makes similar stuff. Glad I don't live anywhere near there!
Perhaps a little bit after your time Smeagol, after the ANC targeted the Koeberg nuclear power station, placing limpet mines on the outer structure, causing very limited damage, but creating a huge propaganda coup, the powers that be took another look at sites like the AECI, and Sonchem ones, and belatedly realised what a huge risk they posed to the populace! Given the government's previous insouciance, it is a miracle that not one of the sites was lost either due to an accident, or malevolent intent in the 80's. Perhaps the accidents didn't occur due to the good offices of people like you. Whatever the case, thank you.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:24 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:23 am
the story of these migrant workers who came from all over Africa, from Malawi as well, but mostly, Apartheid's Bantustans.
Negative Sir. The migrant workers in Alexandria, for example, came specifically from Malawi. Apparently they came by train all together. With cohorts from neighbouring villages, speaking the same dialects. Let me assure you I've heard it from the horses mouth, mixing tribes underground was a recipe for disaster. They would spend more time fighting each other than working.

I have always understood the word "Apartheid" meant separate development. Which has been requested by Aboriginal land councils here in Oz, regularly. Demanding the rights to manage all aspects of their own affairs. The concept was admirable, but the way the Afrikaners implemented it was the problem. The Boers were a nasty bunch of vindictive ar**holes, who chose every conceivable opportunity to stick the knife into the NR's.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by John Hill » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:46 am

Alexandria? Alexandra? YouTube makes those places look like Jalalabad on a bad day now I don't dare look for pictures of Malawi.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:51 am

Alisoncc wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:24 am
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:23 am
the story of these migrant workers who came from all over Africa, from Malawi as well, but mostly, Apartheid's Bantustans.
Negative Sir. The migrant workers in Alexandria, for example, came specifically from Malawi. Apparently they came by train all together. With cohorts from neighbouring villages, speaking the same dialects. Let me assure you I've heard it from the horses mouth, mixing tribes underground was a recipe for disaster. They would spend more time fighting each other than working.

I have always understood the word "Apartheid" meant separate development. Which has been requested by Aboriginal land councils here in Oz, regularly. Demanding the rights to manage all aspects of their own affairs. The concept was admirable, but the way the Afrikaners implemented it was the problem. The Boers were a nasty bunch of vindictive ar**holes, who chose every conceivable opportunity to stick the knife into the NR's.
The majority of the Malawians and other nationalities, lived in compounds adjacent to the mines, some in Alex. I knew Alex very well by the way. Appalling place, mostly freely populated by indigenous Southern African people. It was established by Papenfus in 1912 and was one of the few areas where black South Africans were entitled to freehold, although the government attempted to remove that right in 1980 resulting in major trouble!

Any Malawians living freely in Alexandra Township, were illegals, who had decided to stay in Southern Africa, and were not liked by the locals, and who were at risk. All the mine compounds, in Alex, and elsewhere, were segregated along national/ tribal lines because of the friction and violence, but also because the Nat government and the mining companies used a divide and rule policy, and also didn't want other nationalities to abscond, or worse, make common cause with the locals.

Between 1990 and 1995 elements in the SADF attempted to stymie negotiations between the white government and the ANC by stirring up problems in these compounds. I know one photographer who was shot covering this violence. I went to school with Greg Marinovich, one of the Bang Bang club who documented that period and then much later broke the true story of the Marakana massacre. The mining houses, many of them British, have blood on their hands ref. the latter case.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bang-Bang_Club

Greg Marinovich's brother Bart, who was a class mate died due to diabetes this year!

As for Apartheid, I grew up under it. I lived in it, I fought for it, then I fought against it and was exiled for my pains. I know it too well to argue about it here!

Anybody who wants a quick and accurate history of the migrant workers would do well to Hugh Masekela's song. By the way Masekela's sister was the first black woman to be South Africa's ambassador to the US. A fine lady, just like her brother was a man.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by John Hill » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:56 am

I would like to say I have no experience of apartheid but that would be an exaggeration. Certainly no experience of 'Apartheid' with the capital 'A'. Watching that film from so long ago I saw the trains but my classmate saw something else.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:00 am

John Hill wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:56 am
I would like to say I have no experience of apartheid but that would be an exaggeration. Certainly no experience of 'Apartheid' with the capital 'A'. Watching that film from so long ago I saw the trains but my classmate saw something else.
You see what turbid waters you have stirred up with your innocent thread about trains John! ;))) =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by John Hill » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:04 am

About those trains, why were there so many 0-8-0 types? They look to be brawny beasts but they would not stay on the rails of the NZ network. I think it was the Septics who first used the 'pilot trucks' to steer the loco around corners and even a Lego train designer knows how essential they are when negotiating 'S' bends etc.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by John Hill » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:08 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:00 am
You see what turbid waters you have stirred up with your innocent thread about trains John! ;))) =))
I do not see how that film got into the NZ school systems and I can only imagine that those who made the decisions were happy with what in hindsight was obvious.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:20 am

John Hill wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:08 am
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:00 am
I do not see how that film got into the NZ school systems and I can only imagine that those who made the decisions were happy with what in hindsight was obvious.
There was a department in Pretoria working assiduously to ensure that such films were able to sneak into curriculae, cinemas, the press etc. worldwide!

Totally corrupt too, of course!

https://www.sahistory.org.za/article/in ... on-scandal

https://newint.org/features/1980/05/01/propaganda
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:39 am

Alison, herein lies a potted history of Alexandra township.

https://sahistory.org.za/place/alexandr ... hannesburg
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:59 pm

John Hill wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:04 am
About those trains, why were there so many 0-8-0 types? They look to be brawny beasts but they would not stay on the rails of the NZ network. I think it was the Septics who first used the 'pilot trucks' to steer the loco around corners and even a Lego train designer knows how essential they are when negotiating 'S' bends etc.
Being a nerd I had to look this up.

The SAR preferred use the American practice of using tender locomotives for shunting, rather than the European practice of using tank locomotives. They 3 classes of 0-8-0 shunting steam locomotives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0-8-0#cite_note-Durrant-2
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by Woody » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:12 pm

https://www.capetownetc.com/news/eight- ... explosion/

This caused quite a bit of damage near my apartment :-o
When all else fails, read the instructions.

fareastdriver
Snr FO
Snr FO

#40 Post by fareastdriver » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:01 pm

My father used to run the Railway Club in Choma, then Northern Rhodesia. In 1960 I went up there from Bulawayo to spend a few days with them before travelling to Salisbury to join the RAF. one of the drivers invited me to go on an evening trip to Pemba; change trains and return. I took up the offer and next evening I was in the cab with him, an Italian fireman and two or three Africans in the tender to shovel the coal forward.

It was very pleasant on the way out; it was only just getting dark and there were lots of chat because the fireman wasn't doing very much. We arrived at Pemba and in half an hour we were on our way back.

"Would you like to fire it?" I had watched it being fired on the way and it seemed pretty straightforward. The was a pedal by the fire doors that swung them to each side so the the shovelful could go in. A couple of practice swings and I was ready. The main task was to keep the boiler pressure up and this was taking some time, especially as we were now going uphill and it was now pulling a load of copper. It was now dark outside, not that I noticed and I was getting severely clapped out feeding this engine. Then I started getting the door and shovel out of sequence and a shovelful would end up on the footplate. I looked back when this happened and I could see three sets of teeth dancing in the night sky which were the tender feeders laughing. The fireman took pity on me so I was a spectator on the way back