The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
Message
Author
TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 2005
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:40 pm
Location: Unfashionable end of the Western Spiral

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10021 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:26 am

ricardian wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:27 am
The local on-line newspaper The Orkney News has been organising interviews with various folk in Orkney who have contributed to the local community through their work which may be for art, music, film, communications, tradition, mental health, and wellbeing. A couple of months ago I was interviewed in my capacity as editor of the Stronsay Limpet and the result has now been published online, I hope that it encourages a few folk to consider Stronsay for a holiday in the future. Fiona & Martin have done an amazing job of editing a couple of hours of interview down to about 10 minutes.
Just watched the interview, thank you for sharing. It sounds like a lovely lifestyle on the island, where it seems people have enough time to care for each other, and a place where the simpler, but essential, one might say better things of life, prevail. I was interested to hear that Amazon (for one) deliver on the island. Is that through the auspices of the Royal Mail, or has the island become an Amazon drone delivery target? I am sure that the weather might limit may that last, somewhat tongue in cheek, suggestion as Amazon, who trialed that scheme in my neck of the woods have quietely mothballed the idea. I have flown over the island many times. I am now determined to come and see it sometime and have a pint, on terra firma, there.

Long may the Stronsay Limpet abide. It is clearly more than just hanging on. :YMAPPLAUSE:

I took the liberty of forwarding the links to some Scottish friends now living in South Africa.
I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people - Newton

User avatar
4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 4763
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:38 pm
Location: With the wife
Gender:
Age: 75

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10022 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:56 am

ricardian wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:27 am
The local on-line newspaper The Orkney News has been organising interviews with various folk in Orkney who have contributed to the local community through their work which may be for art, music, film, communications, tradition, mental health, and wellbeing. A couple of months ago I was interviewed in my capacity as editor of the Stronsay Limpet and the result has now been published online, I hope that it encourages a few folk to consider Stronsay for a holiday in the future. Fiona & Martin have done an amazing job of editing a couple of hours of interview down to about 10 minutes.

Just brilliant!! :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:
It's always my fault - SWMBO

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 5245
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:08 pm
Location: 59°09N 002°38W
Gender:
Age: 79

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10023 Post by ricardian » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:05 am

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:26 am
ricardian wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:27 am
The local on-line newspaper The Orkney News has been organising interviews with various folk in Orkney who have contributed to the local community through their work which may be for art, music, film, communications, tradition, mental health, and wellbeing. A couple of months ago I was interviewed in my capacity as editor of the Stronsay Limpet and the result has now been published online, I hope that it encourages a few folk to consider Stronsay for a holiday in the future. Fiona & Martin have done an amazing job of editing a couple of hours of interview down to about 10 minutes.
Just watched the interview, thank you for sharing. It sounds like a lovely lifestyle on the island, where it seems people have enough time to care for each other, and a place where the simpler, but essential, one might say better things of life, prevail. I was interested to hear that Amazon (for one) deliver on the island. Is that through the auspices of the Royal Mail, or has the island become an Amazon drone delivery target? I am sure that the weather might limit may that last, somewhat tongue in cheek, suggestion as Amazon, who trialed that scheme in my neck of the woods have quietely mothballed the idea. I have flown over the island many times. I am now determined to come and see it sometime and have a pint, on terra firma, there.
Long may the Stronsay Limpet abide. It is clearly more than just hanging on. :YMAPPLAUSE:
I took the liberty of forwarding the links to some Scottish friends now living in South Africa.
Amazon packages are delivered by either the posties who deliver 6 days a week or by Jim Holland, the island's haulier who delivers on Wednesday & Friday. Royal Mail were trialling a drone delivery service but that was several months ago, nothing heard about it since then.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 2005
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:40 pm
Location: Unfashionable end of the Western Spiral

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10024 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:15 am

ricardian wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:05 am
Amazon packages are delivered by either the posties who deliver 6 days a week or by Jim Holland, the island's haulier who delivers on Wednesday & Friday. Royal Mail were trialling a drone delivery service, but that was several months ago, nothing heard about it since then.
Sounds familiar,...

https://dronedj.com/2021/08/03/amazon-u ... gram-fail/

The idea works very well in Rwanda...



https://www.flyzipline.com/
I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people - Newton

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 5245
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:08 pm
Location: 59°09N 002°38W
Gender:
Age: 79

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10025 Post by ricardian » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:22 am

4mastacker wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:40 am
Chucking it down here..it's filling up me canal. In fact, it filled up one section just a tad too much causing the water to over-top the bank on both sides. We needed to release water through the locks to get the level down. Over-topping is dangerous as the water flow starts eroding the hinterland of the bank raising the possibility of a breach which causes big (and expensive) problems.
Canal problem but not in the Suez Canal
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

User avatar
limeygal
Capt
Capt
Posts: 1676
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:56 am
Location: Florida
Gender:
Age: 70

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10026 Post by limeygal » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:44 pm

Ricardian-Great interview. Well done you. I will check out the website :-bd

Hope all the sickies are feeling better especially Cosmo. :YMHUG:

As it's Thanksgiving we will be going out for a boozy lunch with friends. Nobody can be arsed to cook a turkey anymore, so we let someone else do it. We are actually going to our favourite Italian who are are doing a turkey lunch. I don't enjoy turkey (salmonella poisoning took the fun out of it for me!) so I will be having something from their regular menu-plus lashings of vino collapso. :YMPARTY:

User avatar
Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 7389
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:23 am
Location: Torrox Campo, Andalucia.
Gender:
Age: 72

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10027 Post by Wodrick » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:35 pm

G'day all,
It's a nice, calm 21c, which, astonishingly, is as guessed.

SM is off shortly to have her feet 'done'.
Last time she ended up at the health centre for repairs where Lola had removed skin from the soles of her feet and it went bad.

Happy Thanksgiving, the festival of the great bloat is it not ?

Our vet is, I think, unbelievable, Monday/Tuesday's bill for an ultrasound scan to confirm, euthanasia, transport to pet crematorium (72km)
individual cremation and a casket 300€

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:56 pm
Location: PHX
Gender:
Age: 68

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10028 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:34 pm

Today is Thanksgiving Day here.
A holiday which is a celebration to gluttony.
I shall not be participating for several reasons.
1. Turkey is the central feature. I am a vegetarian.
2. Most of the traditional sides and deserts are on my dietary naughty list.
3. My kids are doing their feasting with my ex.
4. Never really cared for it even before I stopped eating meat. Never liked fowl.
5. Only things that I miss are the green beans, potatoes, and pecan pie.
On the plus side...I WILL indulge in LG's beverage choice along with other adult beverages.
Liquid gluttony? :-? =))

PP

User avatar
llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 4934
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:17 am
Location: San Jose

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10029 Post by llondel » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:40 pm

Hoping that Cosmo can come home today. The problem appears to be that something bad happened to his tongue, and we might have found a candidate today - a bottle of carpet cleaner with traces of chemicals on the outside. He does like licking plastic, so if he tried that one it might have caused the problem. The other likely possibility is still an insect or spider bite, because he's a cat and will go for small things that move. The vet staff all love him, at least, various vets we've talked to on the phone have made a point of telling us how lovely his personality is.

User avatar
llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 4934
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:17 am
Location: San Jose

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10030 Post by llondel » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:42 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:35 pm
Our vet is, I think, unbelievable, Monday/Tuesday's bill for an ultrasound scan to confirm, euthanasia, transport to pet crematorium (72km)
individual cremation and a casket 300€
We're looking at something north of $4000 for a couple of days stay plus everything else.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:56 pm
Location: PHX
Gender:
Age: 68

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10031 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:49 pm

llondel wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:42 pm
Wodrick wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:35 pm
Our vet is, I think, unbelievable, Monday/Tuesday's bill for an ultrasound scan to confirm, euthanasia, transport to pet crematorium (72km)
individual cremation and a casket 300€
We're looking at something north of $4000 for a couple of days stay plus everything else.
OUCH!
I thought that the ~1,000 bill that the late Bubba incurred for a bladder blockage was bad.

PP

User avatar
llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 4934
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:17 am
Location: San Jose

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10032 Post by llondel » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:38 pm

It appears they've got Steve Kornacki running statistics on the US National Dog Show today. For those in the UK, think of Peter Snow doing it, Kornacki is the US equivalent of him doing election coverage with all the fancy graphics and numbers.

ribrash

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10033 Post by ribrash » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:55 pm

limeygal wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:44 pm
Ricardian-Great interview. Well done you. I will check out the website :-bd

Hope all the sickies are feeling better especially Cosmo. :YMHUG:

As it's Thanksgiving we will be going out for a boozy lunch with friends. Nobody can be arsed to cook a turkey anymore, so we let someone else do it. We are actually going to our favourite Italian who are are doing a turkey lunch. I don't enjoy turkey (salmonella poisoning took the fun out of it for me!) so I will be having something from their regular menu-plus lashings of vino collapso. :YMPARTY:
Do you mean a proper boozy session or 2 175 mls glass of wine.?

User avatar
Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 7389
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:23 am
Location: Torrox Campo, Andalucia.
Gender:
Age: 72

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10034 Post by Wodrick » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:03 pm

ribrash wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:55 pm
Do you mean a proper boozy session or 2 175 mls glass of wine.?
Ex Cabin Staff ! WDYT

bob2s
Capt
Capt
Posts: 1153
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:42 pm
Location: NSW Australia
Age: 77

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10035 Post by bob2s » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:12 pm

Great interview Ricardian, for some unknown reason I thought the population was greater than the 300 or so you mentioned.

User avatar
llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 4934
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:17 am
Location: San Jose

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10036 Post by llondel » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:06 am

Cosmo is home! Still a bit fragile, and with a bag of various medications, but he seems to be on the mend. Confined to the bathroom for the moment.

User avatar
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 16027
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:39 pm
Location: The Peoples Republic of Whitton
Gender:
Age: 78

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10037 Post by OFSO » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:44 am

Good news mate. Bit worrying that you aren't exactly sure of the cause. We have spiders here that inject parasites with the bite. Friend's daughter got them.

User avatar
Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 5914
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:11 pm
Location: Mijas Costa, Malaga, Spain
Gender:
Age: 73

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10038 Post by Ibbie » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:05 am

Morning folks.

Them guessers and this machine say it's 18c presently. Certainly don't feel that warm. High of 22c they also reckon.

The cat has now returned after being noticeably absent whilst I was away, according to Mrs IB.

Finally finished writing complaints and seeking recompense about my trip yesterday, as well as giving some third party claims guy at the car hire company another statement as to wot happened.

Having a quiet day today.

User avatar
Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Posts: 7389
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:23 am
Location: Torrox Campo, Andalucia.
Gender:
Age: 72

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10039 Post by Wodrick » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:38 am

Its Friday again

Wx pretty much the same this side. Virtually nil wind too.

I think it's water is putting in a new pipe, it's about 1' diameter and metal.
When Paco replaced our main earlier in the year it was about 5" diameter and the normal irrigation pipe.

They don't seem to be coming my way.

User avatar
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot
Posts: 11949
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:16 am
Location: Botswana but sometimes Greece
Gender:
Age: 67

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#10040 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:10 am

Morning folks. Internet problems all yesterday. Thought I would leave it until 17.00 to report. They were here at 09.00. My suspicions were confirmed. A squirrel had eaten through the booster dish cable. 80 km round trip cos of a squirrel. Don't know if we are going to billed for it. Very good company based here they just cover the town and outskirts. We are at the limit of their coverage.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Post Reply