The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#13861 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:27 pm

Wet, dull, and cold again.
Today I spent several hours pulling some old built-in kitchen cabinets down, gently enough to be able to reuse them.
I can safely say that whoever built them 50-70 years ago

a) had never built cabinets before
b) was never asked to do it again.

If in doubt, use another 20 nails. Bang them in anywhere.

However, mission accomplished.
And given the price of cabinets these days,time extremely well spent.
Tomorrow I build a new internal wall.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13862 Post by Karearea » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:12 pm

Sky beginning to lighten, -1.1°C so far; just been out to observe: smell of woodsmoke as people light their morning fires, Moon shining, the morning commuters begin moving, birdies singing, a bright satellite beetling across the sky.
Around the world thoughts shall fly, In the twinkling of an eye

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13863 Post by llondel » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:36 pm

The irony of receiving an email from my bank warning me of the danger of scams that ask you to click on a link, but then provide a link to click for further information.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13864 Post by OFSO » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:46 pm

Bought some euros today. Unlike last time, my card wasn't immediately blocked afterwards. Prepared and mailed an insurance claim for family member who had an accident on holiday, as I'm the legal bod in our Family.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13865 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:56 pm

Single pilot operations above FL 250 or so is asking for it, I think.

Oxygen requirements for this flight:

§ 91.211 Supplemental oxygen.

(a) General. No person may operate a civil aircraft of U.S. registry—

(1) At cabin pressure altitudes above 12,500 feet (MSL) up to and including 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen for that part of the flight at those altitudes that is of more than 30 minutes duration;

(2) At cabin pressure altitudes above 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen during the entire flight time at those altitudes; and

(3) At cabin pressure altitudes above 15,000 feet (MSL) unless each occupant of the aircraft is provided with supplemental oxygen.

(b) Pressurized cabin aircraft.

(1) No person may operate a civil aircraft of U.S. registry with a pressurized cabin—

(i) At flight altitudes above flight level 250 unless at least a 10-minute supply of supplemental oxygen, in addition to any oxygen required to satisfy paragraph (a) of this section, is available for each occupant of the aircraft for use in the event that a descent is necessitated by loss of cabin pressurization; and

(ii) At flight altitudes above flight level 350 unless one pilot at the controls of the airplane is wearing and using an oxygen mask that is secured and sealed and that either supplies oxygen at all times or automatically supplies oxygen whenever the cabin pressure altitude of the airplane exceeds 14,000 feet (MSL), except that the one pilot need not wear and use an oxygen mask while at or below flight level 410 if there are two pilots at the controls and each pilot has a quick-donning type of oxygen mask that can be placed on the face with one hand from the ready position within 5 seconds, supplying oxygen and properly secured and sealed.

(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (b)(1)(ii) of this section, if for any reason at any time it is necessary for one pilot to leave the controls of the aircraft when operating at flight altitudes above flight level 350, the remaining pilot at the controls shall put on and use an oxygen mask until the other pilot has returned to that crewmember's station.

Oxygen requirements for Air Carrier:

§ 121.333 Supplemental oxygen for emergency descent and for first aid; turbine engine powered airplanes with pressurized cabins.

(a) General. When operating a turbine engine powered airplane with a pressurized cabin, the certificate holder shall furnish oxygen and dispensing equipment to comply with paragraphs (b) through (e) of this section in the event of cabin pressurization failure.

(b) Crewmembers. When operating at flight altitudes above 10,000 feet, the certificate holder shall supply enough oxygen to comply with § 121.329, but not less than a two-hour supply for each flight crewmember on flight deck duty. The required two hours supply is that quantity of oxygen necessary for a constant rate of descent from the airplane's maximum certificated operating altitude to 10,000 feet in ten minutes and followed by 110 minutes at 10,000 feet. The oxygen required in the event of cabin pressurization failure by § 121.337 may be included in determining the supply required for flight crewmembers on flight deck duty.

(c) Use of oxygen masks by flight crewmembers.

(1) When operating at flight altitudes above flight level 250, each flight crewmember on flight deck duty must be provided with an oxygen mask so designed that it can be rapidly placed on his face from its ready position, properly secured, sealed, and supplying oxygen upon demand; and so designed that after being placed on the face it does not prevent immediate communication between the flight crewmember and other crewmembers over the airplane intercommunication system. When it is not being used at flight altitudes above flight level 250, the oxygen mask must be kept in condition for ready use and located so as to be within the immediate reach of the flight crewmember while at his duty station.

(2) When operating at flight altitudes above flight level 250, one pilot at the controls of the airplane shall at all times wear and use an oxygen mask secured, sealed, and supplying oxygen, in accordance with the following:

(i) The one pilot need not wear and use an oxygen mask at or below the following flight levels if each flight crewmember on flight deck duty has a quick-donning type of oxygen mask that the certificate holder has shown can be placed on the face from its ready position, properly secured, sealed, and supplying oxygen upon demand, with one hand and within five seconds:

(A) For airplanes having a passenger seat configuration of more than 30 seats, excluding any required crewmember seat, or a payload capacity of more than 7,500 pounds, at or below flight level 410.

(B) For airplanes having a passenger seat configuration of less than 31 seats, excluding any required crewmember seat, and a payload capacity of 7,500 pounds or less, at or below flight level 350.

(ii) Whenever a quick-donning type of oxygen mask is to be used under this section, the certificate holder shall also show that the mask can be put on without disturbing eye glasses and without delaying the flight crewmember from proceeding with his assigned emergency duties. The oxygen mask after being put on must not prevent immediate communication between the flight crewmember and other crewmembers over the airplane intercommunication system.

(3) Notwithstanding paragraph (c)(2) of this section, if for any reason at any time it is necessary for one pilot to leave his station at the controls of the airplane when operating at flight altitudes above flight level 410, the remaining pilot at the controls shall put on and use his oxygen mask until the other pilot has returned to his duty station.
IIRC my company required use if above FL 250

(4) Before the takeoff of a flight, each flight crewmember shall personally preflight his oxygen equipment to insure that the oxygen mask is functioning, fitted properly, and connected to appropriate supply terminals, and that the oxygen supply and pressure are adequate for use.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13866 Post by llondel » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:27 pm

Ducking Hell, now what can I do?

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-65823482
Apple has said it will no longer automatically change one of the most common swear words to 'ducking'.

The autocorrect feature, which has long frustrated users, will soon be able to use AI to detect when you really mean to use that expletive.

"In those moments where you just want to type a ducking word, well, the keyboard will learn it, too," said software boss Craig Federighi.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13867 Post by Hydromet » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:47 pm

Clear blue sky today, currently 13c, forecast max 20c.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#13868 Post by jimtherev » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:50 pm

My old age has found me boring and respectable at last - well, financially, at least.
- Enough in my current account that I'm not dipping into overdraft at all
- No debts apart from one credit card which I clear every month.
So on Friday last week I piled coals on the old computer and logged on to Amex, made the necessary entry, then <submit>
"Transaction not approved. See your bank."
So telephoned a nice lady at the Co-op who said, 'Oh, it's probably Visa that's cocked things up. Happens some times. I've reset everything. It'll work now.
For various reasons, I couldn't do it <now>, so had another go this morning.
"Transaction not approved. See your bank."
<grrrrrr>!

Very (like 25 minutes) long story, going through all me details with another nice and patient lady at the Co-op until she asked 'have you changed your phone?'
'No. Oh. Wait a minute. Virgin have sold out to O2'
'Hurrah!' says she - yes, honestly 'That's probably it.
'Good. Thanks for your help. Good-b....
'Just a minute! I'm not getting off this line before you try again. Pay it now, Rev James. Please. For me.'

And I did, and thanked the very nice and patient lady very kindly.

I know I'm tempting fate writing this, but I've never had problems with this mob; been with them 20 years now.
God bless the Co-op Bank.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#13869 Post by bob2s » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:48 pm

9.40 am and the fog just starting to clear, 22c is promised by the reader of the entrails, and by the time that appears it will be too late to dry my washing,
my only chance of having it dry is if a breeze materializes, and the prospect of that is unlikely to occur.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13870 Post by Hydromet » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:31 am

Nice day, so did some gardening this morning, and will go for a walk later. Workshop can wait.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13871 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:52 am

Cloudy dawn once more and 13°. A very odd summer. The Red Tops announced yesterday that the current heatwave will end in thunderstorms on Saturday. What heat wave?!

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13872 Post by Karearea » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:52 am

Karearea wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:12 pm
... a bright satellite beetling across the sky.
Which, further to, I checked, and that was probably the ISS.
It's scheduled to cross over again tomorrow morning so will have a look then.

At the moment, Southern Cross nearly overhead; Venus bright in the north-west with Mars faint by comparison nearby; Arcturus glittering in the north-east.

Has been a beautiful clear sunny day, up to 10°C.

For some reason both fog and frost forecast for overnight. 'tis 2°C now and falling.
Around the world thoughts shall fly, In the twinkling of an eye

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13873 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:42 am

Third day on the trot of no sun, 11C at the moment - what heatwave?

Off to Forfar to look at ride on tractor mowers later. The town where Eric Morecambe's favourite tongue twister for anyone reading out football results on TV finally came true in 2018, four years after his death - East Fife 4 Forfar 5.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13874 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:26 am

Don't get a John Deere lawn tractor, they are designed make money for the company in parts and maintenance.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13875 Post by Ibbie » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:36 am

Still struggling with right knee. Pain now feels like a pull behind it. Am managing to walk a little this morning.

Out with family for meal tonight as it's Mrs IB's birthday. So I'm resting up.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13876 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:10 pm

We're currently planning on Mme OFSOs knees MRI in Girona next week (€400 I should think) with surgery in Barcelona when our friends there have found a competent cinic.

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#13877 Post by G~Man » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:35 pm

Karearea wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:52 am
Karearea wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:12 pm
... a bright satellite beetling across the sky.
Which, further to, I checked, and that was probably the ISS.
Check this out, it is really kewl, set up your location and see what is due overhead that day:

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13878 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:36 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:26 am
Don't get a John Deere lawn tractor, they are designed make money for the company in parts and maintenance.
Bit risky getting a John Deere - from your Ukraine thread the Russkies blow them up thinking they are Leopard 2 tanks!

No, I've gone for a Stiga tractor mower - I've stuck with the brand as I have a good relationship with the groundcare company that supplied my Stiga two stage snowblower from new some 10 years ago and that has given fault free service so far. They will supply the mower - almost certainly easier if I have a problem than dealing with an online company in that event. 23 years ago they sold me a 32HP Gravely Promaster 400 which with a 72" wide cut was good for rough mowing a 3 acre field when it was a dog play area but as we are sadly now dogless the Gravely had to go and I got a good price in part exchange. A farmer mate now has the field for a grass crop.
Gravely.jpg
Gravely.jpg (37.92 KiB) Viewed 708 times
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13879 Post by llondel » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:15 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:26 am
Probably not big enough to tow tanks off the lawn either.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13880 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:20 pm

Bit risky getting a John Deere - from your Ukraine thread the Russkies blow them up thinking they are Leopard 2 tanks!
Quite!

I find a reliable local company you can talk to is always the best bet these days.

As for towing Russian tanks off my lawn, I will probably have bigger problems if there even IS a Russian tank on my lawn...

..might interrupt the croquet ;)))