The log-in issue has now cleared for me (W10/Avast/Firefox/Chrome/Edge). I would like to hear (on 'Computer connection issues') of anyone else still having issues.

The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#18621 Post by tango15 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:21 pm

OFSO wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:13 pm
Drove the diesel Mondeo estate to Lloret de Mar* and back today.
182.5 Kms or 114 miles
8.25 litres diesel burned (4.5l/100)
€11.50 cost of diesel fuel

* Pretty name but ghastly place, utterly awful. All cheap hotels and phone shops, vape shops, and tourist junk. No historic centre or fishing harbour. Place exists for mass tourism.
I never went to Lloret in the 70s, when it was just becoming 'established', although I heard that even then it was a bit 'Blackpool in the Sun'. I think it was later overtaken by Benidorm, but remains one of the less attractive resorts on the Costas.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18622 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:03 pm

When I was working I had a (vehicle manufacturer) customer in Blackpool so I was obliged to visit. Blackpool's heyday was long gone (I had been taken there as a child by my grandfather who ran coach tours there in the 1930s). Grandfather died in 1951.

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#18623 Post by limeygal » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:12 pm

I never went to Lloret in the 70s, when it was just becoming 'established
My first holiday overseas was to Loret de Mar in 1969. I remember it well, as all the newspapers had the moon landing as their headline. It was quite commercialized even then. I was fascinated by it as it was "foreign". The only thing I remember of note was at the far end of the beach was a house with a garden that the eccentric owner had filled with statues and other tat. He played classical music through loud speakers. Not a popular end of the beach for a quiet read. That holiday was my first big expenditure after starting work. Saved for a year for it. We were there for a week and cost each of us the princely sum of 28 quid, including air fare! Those were the days. Flew on the 748 and the captain was Yvonne Sintes. Not bad for a first flight.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18624 Post by Wodrick » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:21 pm

G’day

17°c currently. Heavy overcast. Raining steadily. 3 cm. Over the weekend
Billy the Sooth predicts 22°c. I laugh.

Off out for a four stop shop then the English Supermarket for the mail and the contents of the Big River’s warehouse.

Catastrophe no dog food.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18625 Post by OFSO » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:19 pm

I think the easiest way to spot a 'real' i.e. working seaside town here it look on Google earth for an inlet/harbour. Fishing boats a bonus.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18626 Post by 1DC » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:44 pm

Our first holiday abroad with number 1 daughter was to Benidorm 1973,it was just before she went to school, and it was 7 days away also £28 all in staying at the Hotel Monaco..We flew from East Midlands Airport on a Thompsons Brittania. The only thing I remember about it was that Mrs 1DC was sick before she boarded the aeroplane and whilst we were there it chucked it down with rain and all the streets filled up with water..The next time we went to Benidorm was in 2001 for the day and it looked vaguely familiar.
Been a nice clear blue day on the Humber today, made it to 8C. Mrs 1DC has lunched with some ladies from some organisation she belongs to and apart from checking up on my neighbour and recovering the black bins from the street I have done what you could describe as very little. ;)))

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18627 Post by OFSO » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:50 pm

There are some gorgeous places to stay here but you never see them promoted. Girona is a superb small city (capital of the province) with a historic centre, places to eat and drink, walks and bike rides in the mountains, easy of access if you don't mind flying O'Learys Boeings, and on the high speed rail network to Barcelona and Figueras.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18628 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:09 pm

limeygal wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:12 pm
My first holiday overseas was to Loret de Mar in 1969. I remember it well, as all the newspapers had the moon landing as their headline. It was quite commercialized even then. I was fascinated by it as it was "foreign". The only thing I remember of note was at the far end of the beach was a house with a garden that the eccentric owner had filled with statues and other tat. He played classical music through loud speakers. Not a popular end of the beach for a quiet read. That holiday was my first big expenditure after starting work. Saved for a year for it. We were there for a week and cost each of us the princely sum of 28 quid, including air fare! Those were the days. Flew on the 748 and the captain was Yvonne Sintes. Not bad for a first flight.
Lucky you! :-bd
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yvonne_Pope_Sintes

PP

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#18629 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:08 am

Morning folks. Another hot one. Going to water the bananas on solar power they are not looking happy.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18630 Post by Wodrick » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:32 am

G’day

22°c currently. Thinly scattered
Billy the Sooth predicts 21°c. Already passed

Catastrophe no dog food.

If not delivered this morning then hunt the dog food will follow.
Naturally it’s not regular stuff it’s Hypoallergenic or his gullet gets massively inflamed.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18631 Post by tango15 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:03 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:09 pm
limeygal wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:12 pm
Lucky you! :-bd
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yvonne_Pope_Sintes

PP
Coincidentally, there was a long-running thread on FB a couple of weeks ago about this lady. Truly a remarkable lady and an inspiration to all

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18632 Post by tango15 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:09 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:03 pm
When I was working I had a (vehicle manufacturer) customer in Blackpool so I was obliged to visit. Blackpool's heyday was long gone (I had been taken there as a child by my grandfather who ran coach tours there in the 1930s). Grandfather died in 1951.
G-C was that TVR? (Trevor Wilkinson)

Once cheap flights to the Costas were available, Blackpool went into terminal decline. It's a pity, because its geographical features are similar to those of Nice. Maybe when global warming has done its thing, It will be as warm as Nice in the winter. :)

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18633 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:19 am

tango15 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:09 am

G-C was that TVR? (Trevor Wilkinson)
It was indeed.

I had a friend who drove TVRs when Martin Lilley was in charge.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18634 Post by Wodrick » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:29 am

From WiKi :
From June 1975, she captained flights on the BAC 1-11 jet airliner.
Yvonne Pope Sintes flew as a pilot for UK-based airline Dan-Air until her retirement in 1980.

And although based at LGW she frequently visited MAN with the 1-11.
Being a friendly place there are people here that were on first name terms, both in this house.

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#18635 Post by limeygal » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:49 am

Yvonne Pope Sintes flew as a pilot for UK-based airline Dan-Air until her retirement in 1980.
I read her bio, and apparently she didn't make Cpt. until after I flew with her. She must have been the F/O. The only reason I remember her was she did the in-flight announcement. Our paths never crossed during my Dan days. I flew with them 1972-1974 and I don't remember the 748 at all or if it was still flying. Maybe Wods can help with the dates there? In her bio, Wiki says they were still flying in 1972-if it's on the Internet it must be true, right? 8-|

It is supposed to be dry for the rest of the week-everything crossed. Off to our yearly garden federation education day. It's always a really good day with guest presenters, breakfast pastries, lunch, plant sale, used garden book give-away, and something new this year, and a professional knife sharpener. I will be lugging all my kitchen knives and garden clippers along for him to sharpen. You know it's time to sharpen knives when one slips and it doesn't even break the skin!

talmacapt
Capt
Capt

#18636 Post by talmacapt » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:29 pm

Danair were certainly flying the 748s in the 80s.

I left the BA 748 in 1988 and we had at least 3/4 Danair 748s on lease.

G-ATMJ, AZSU, BFLL and occasionally ATMI (maintenance replacement) if I remember correctly.

Dan certainly used them to Scatsta, from Aberdeen, and I think there was a service from Gatwick to Berne?.

As an aside, is your christian name Ruth?

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18637 Post by tango15 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:31 pm

talamcapt: Yes, the 748 did operate LGW-BRN, not just because of what was a fairly short runway at the time, but also low passenger loads. Despite being the de factocapital, it never attracted enough traffic to warrant any notable regular traffic.

I worked with them in Cayman and BVI and also the famous Uniform Victor with the large freight door.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18638 Post by Woody » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:01 pm

For the romantics out there, who can’t decide what to get for their loved ones tomorrow :))

https://www.greggs.co.uk/news/uber-eats-bake-tray
When all else fails, read the instructions.

talmacapt
Capt
Capt

#18639 Post by talmacapt » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:09 pm

We had one with the large rear door and I think the registration was G-BGJV.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18640 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:57 pm

9 AM
7 PM

PP