The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread II

General Chit Chat
603DX
Capt
Capt

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread II

#361 Post by 603DX » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:48 pm

Well, after listening with mounting disbelief to his live 16-minute broadcast inaugural speech just now, I can't be the only soul who was strongly reminded of the character "Baron Bombast" in the film "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang".

I do fervently hope, however, that his tenure is more successful than that of the farcical stereotype as played by the actor Gert Frobe ... :-s

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#362 Post by Karearea » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:45 pm

I'd kind of thought I might get up early to watch that, and then I thought, Why? I've never bothered before.
So I had an extra hour's sleep, and the first news items I've chosen to read so far today have been about the rescue of some of the ten thankfully found alive in the Italian hotel after the avalanche; a frisbee skittering across a frozen lake in Maine; and a shortage of tender vegetables following inclement weather in Spain.
Magnus - your foot sounds sore - I hope you can have it checked out and that it will heal quickly.
Around the world thoughts shall fly, In the twinkling of an eye

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#363 Post by Wodrick » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Thunking about it 10 out of 30 is pretty good, let's hope for more.

Also thunking about it if it is that swollen *Magnus* could possibly benefit from an x-ray
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Rossian
Capt
Capt

Re: Magnus....

#364 Post by Rossian » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:02 pm

.....your description of your accident chimes with what happened to my Dad a V.long time ago. He broke the bones in his feet (metatarsals??) and wore a support shoe (and a severe limp)for the rest of his life. Don't argue go and get it x-rayed prontissimo.

The Ancient Mariner

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#365 Post by 500N » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Agree totally re Magnus going to hospital and making sure.

With feet, be it bones or ligaments, a problem with them, if not corrected can not only be uncomfortable
for the rest of your life as per above post but cause other problems down the track, uneven hip wear,
knee problems, weak ankle leading to more injuries. Uneven hip wear being one of the worst.

wings folded
Capt
Capt

#366 Post by wings folded » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:23 pm

Watch your step, Magnus, so to speak.
I misjudged the pitch of a staircase on two separate occasions and tore both my calf muscles.

Still not over it, and they probably will tell you to rest, avoid strenuous effort and alcohol and so forth, but get it looked at. They probably can't do much though.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#367 Post by Ibbie » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:30 pm

Ooh Magnus that's painful!

Mrs IB has made it in time, but only a matter of time. However, she can't find a doctor or senior nursing person to speak to. Ward is being cared for by one auxiliary it appears, who is run off her feet.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#368 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:56 am

Magnus - did something similar early last year, warning - don't wash outside wooden stairs wearing Crocs - and considered only a sprain for a couple of days, then went and had an x-ray, which confirmed a fracture. Bonus - 2 months later flew on holiday wearing a "Moon Boot" assisted by a pair of crutches, result ? Wheelchairs - with pushers - appeared from nowhere and was ushered on to the aircraft first, so got some locker space above my seat.

Now have "Moon Boot" available for hire - for aspiring passengers. Any offers ?

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#369 Post by handsfree » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:51 am

Hello people.
Anyone want some freezing fog. We have lots of it surplus to requirement.
Just bring a bucket and help yourselves.

I concur with the others on here Magnus. At least get it looked at.

Capetonian

#370 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:02 am

Magnus, as others have said ................

I have had two similar experiences and both had resulted in a break. One, I jumped off a wall, barefoot, landed clumsily, was in a lot of pain, and had broken a small bone in my heel. Two, I twisted my ankle whilst making a pot of tea (don't ask, but it involved going outside onto uneven grass!) and that was also a broken bone. Had it x-rayed, asked doctor if it was OK to fly within the next few days, and he said 'as long as you're not going to Australia or anywhere like that'. As it happened, I was, so that trip was scuppered.

Magnus, stop being a man, for once, be a girl and to the doctor. That done, you can be a man again!

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#371 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:12 am

'as long as you're not going to Australia or anywhere like that'.

I suppose being upside down put different pressure on the break !

Once underwent a medical with the CAA in Gatwick, extra high blood pressure, licence suspended, but as shortly returning to New Zealand action deferred to NZ medics. to resolve.

On return to NZ no evidence of high blood pressure, monitored for a week, results sent back to Gatwick and got following communication " don't understand, report accepted and licence re-activated, perhaps it is because you are now stood on your head ?" A CAA official with a sense of humour !

Thinks ... had ECG every 6 months for over 50 years, but haven't had one for the last 7 ( maintained a CPL to age 75 ) .... either they were not necessary or should I have continued to have them periodically anyway ? No symptoms ( tho' I do fancy a nap every afternoon - but then I am 82 ! ) but have booked one anyway for next week with my friendly G.P. whom I taught to fly some years ago. Just a thought, as I got the Turbulent flying again this week after a long stand down. ( other flying machines needing my attention.)

Other thinks ???? .....Most of those drivers hurtling towards us at 100 kph never ever see a Dr. and couldn't spell ECG if you asked them.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#372 Post by Magnus » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:30 am

Well, if you lot want your tax money to go on a visit to hospital and an x-ray, I probably will. They'll only tell me to take painkillers (I can't use NSAIDs) and keep weight off the foot. I'd figured that out already. Glad I drive an automatic. Cape, I did something similar a few years ago. I jumped down from the back of a van, holding the shutter to close it, landed on the kerbstone and split a bone in my heel. Bugga, as the saying goes.

Cacophonix

#373 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:43 am

Well, if you lot want your tax money to go on a visit to hospital and an x-ray, I probably will

Enough of this namby-pampby nonsense Magnus, repair to your liquor cabinet, take the bottle of Laphroaig and down the lot in one go, then hobble to your toolbox and select your favourite saw (twang I it once or twice for luck if you want) and then just amputate your bloody foot. I have done the same at least twice and put being legless down to the whisky!

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#374 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:40 am

Leave the poor cripple alone. It's his foot. I wouldn't go to hospital either. Especially here.

Spent the whole morning putting together all the papers required for our residency renewal and writing the covering letter. I am jolly impressed with it. Sounds as if they should be paying us to stay. In the conclusion I have put something along the lines of, 'we look forward to continuing our retirement in Chanoga and supporting the local people even if they have robbed us three times! Hope the Chief of Immigration has a sense of humour. If not we are out.

As I type the sun is directly overhead on its way back up north. Only shadow is directly underneath things. Enjoy folks.

Another nice day. Mammoth watering has started again. Guess that is the end of the rains. Not a bad delivery though.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#375 Post by limeygal » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:34 am

Hello playmates :-h Severe thunderstorms forecast for today, oh joy! An indoor day today methinks.

Magnus-get that trotter looked at :YMHUG:

the local people even if they have robbed us three times

I see tact and diplomacy are alive and well in Bots!! Good luck with your application. :-bd

Volunteered at an Arbor Day giveaway yesterday. Chucked it down the whole time. Pity. Still, a lot of trees were planted in a local park which had been hit by a tornado earlier this year :-bd

Took my other computer in to be checked out as it running really slowly and gets hung up. Fixed and all is well. Saved buying a new one. It is still running W7. I didn't want to buy a new computer and get stuck with W10. I am a happy camper :)

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#376 Post by Magnus » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:56 pm

Complete 2@, Three metatarsals in one go. Do nothing by halves, I say. :(

wings folded
Capt
Capt

#377 Post by wings folded » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Can they sort it out for you?

Rossian
Capt
Capt

Re: Magnus....

#378 Post by Rossian » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:35 pm

.........re metatarsals - "Ah'll haud ma wheesht"
Glad you saw sense.
Dr Rossian will now retire.

The Ancient Mariner

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#379 Post by OFSO » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:40 pm

If you do lots of exercise and your legs are sturdy then something will have broken in your foot. If your legs and thin and weedy, you will have torn a ligament.

I would like to suggest the way NOT to have such accidents is to send the wife up the stairs to do it, but mine falls up or down the stairs every week so I won't bother.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#380 Post by handsfree » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:47 pm

Three metatarsals in one go

Well done that man. If a thing is worth doing, it's worth doing well.
OUCH !