The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
angels
Capt
Capt

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#121 Post by angels » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:04 am

Morning. Hot, although thunderstorms threatened for later.
Tall Bird wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:41 pm
Hope all went well with the cardio discussion angels.
My ectopic beats have reduced to around 1,200 a day. The doc says they don't get too worried until they hit 10,000 so I'm going to continue as is until my breathless attacks get worse, then it'll be a kip on the operating table again.
handsfree wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:33 am
The scar from the heart surgery is also clearing up a treat.
My scar is very nifty and I've never had a problem with it. The pain abates, but it does take time. Taking it easy is best, even although you may not feel like it.
Slasher wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:52 am
I feel so much better having finally made the decision.
There's a bit of me that's dead pleased for you, there's a bit of me that's sad that the 'romance' of the pilot's life seems to have disappeared many moons ago.
Woody wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:40 am
I don’t start until 14.30 today
I start at 1500. Expect it to start raining about then..... :-w
All generalisations are false, including this one.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#122 Post by ricardian » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:05 am

ian16th wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:05 am
Buxton, Still the only place to have 'Snow Stopped Play' in the scorebook of a 1st class cricket match.
I was brought up in Hayfield, a few miles from Buxton, the highest town in England; on the few occasions that I visited Buxton it was invariably bitterly cold. The cancelled 1st class cricket match was in June 1975.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Slasher

#123 Post by Slasher » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:19 am

Thanks guys. Apsara is here now visiting me in the Gulf and the decision was unanimous - quit airline flying and spend more time at home. She'll be coming with me on a couple of hops around the Gulf this evening and see first hand why I hate this damn airline racket.

Already I feel a lot better. I'm calmer, feel I have more patience, my wife is more than happy with my decision, and bestest of all there'll be no braid on my shoulder to be a scapegoat for all the mistakes and screwups made by Co dickheads. The light at the end of the tunnel of misery shines bright! :)

I'll put in my resignation sometime next week. Only thing I'll miss is Yousef's fantastic SC moonshine - milk sooo fit for the Gods that even Hera is jealous.

Angels yes - airline flying started losing its enjoyment globally around the turn of the century. The only flying I'll be doing is in my PA18 sans braid and sans automation! 😊

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#124 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:25 am

Morning from a freezing cold Botswana. 7 degs at dawn and max of 25 forecast. Next week they are promising to get us in to the mid 30s so that will be just OK. Sitting in the sun outside on the back lawn was fine but then the irrigation system switched in. Moved to the study and in comes the housekeeper with a mop.

We had a Chipping Norton post code in Oxfordshire (OX7 3AP). Chippy was 11 miles away. We used to have delivery drivers phoning from there asking how to find us.

Congrats Capt you deserve a medal for lasting that long in that dreadful job.
Attachments
A320.jpg
A320.jpg (36.6 KiB) Viewed 695 times
Retired.jpg
Retired.jpg (4.52 KiB) Viewed 695 times
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#125 Post by Slasher » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:35 am

Thank you Ex-A sah. No more airline bullring marches for me!

As an ex DC9 F/O I liked the 320 comparison. 👍🏻

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#126 Post by Groundgripper » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:52 am

Good onya Slash, I retired at 56 years and 362 days and have never regretted it, and that was just pushing a pen in a ground-bound office. As has been said many times, you'll probably wonder where you found the time to go to work. :-bd

I'vr just finished filling in and submitting the renewal application for Senior Managment's Blue Badge parking card. It always seems that they try to make it as difficult as possible, so it'll be interesting to see if this one has been successful. I suppose that it's understandable in some ways, keeping it for those who really need it, but it's extremely long-winded, practically demanding a full medical history. ~X(

No sight or sound of any rain here, yet, it's forecast to be wet over the weekend (of course), but I bet we don't get a decent thunderstorm.

GG

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#127 Post by Magnus » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:06 am

Slasher, it's a fekn hard decision to make, but you're unlikely to regret it. I did 28 years of increasingly-pressured engineering and project management, decided fukkit, and walked away never to look back. Did a further 10 years in a junior job with the Scottish Supreme Courts, and loved it. Now working 24/7 for SWMBO (unsalaried) and am content. My 3 pensions keep us fed, watered and holidayed (if there's such a word) and I can spend more time trying to sneak new guitars into the house without the manglement noticing. Well, you gotta have an interest. Well done, mate.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#128 Post by Ibbie » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:18 am

As an ex DC9 F/O I liked the 320 comparison.
I liked that cartoon of the DC9 cockpit as well, Slasher. Was sat in one only yesterday at the museum, so know where the cartoonist was coming from.

Nearly passed out yesterday, when taking the punters onto the C-47. Aircraft had been locked up in the sun for a few days, so when I opened the door the heat hit me. Didn't spend long on board with the party as they found it a tad warm. Shut it back up quick!

Cape

Some of the Chalfonts have "HP" post codes- High Wycombe, which has parts as bad, if not worse, than parts of Slough.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#129 Post by om15 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:32 am

Slasher well done, you won't regret it, when the airline industry changed it's objective to flying drunks thousands of miles for twenty five quid a head and subsequently turned the screws on the T&Cs of those doing the work it was time to bail out.
You will feel better, less vexed and start to enjoy life much more.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#130 Post by Wodrick » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:41 pm

Never had anything to do with the DC9 but did a great deal on MD83 and always thought that man had opened flt deck door at build with a box of switches coated in glue, thrown them at random and where they stuck is where they were installed, no thought at all. Horrible Panels.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#131 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:01 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:41 pm
Never had anything to do with the DC9 but did a great deal on MD83 and always thought that man had opened flt deck door at build with a box of switches coated in glue, thrown them at random and where they stuck is where they were installed, no thought at all. Horrible Panels.

Same man that designed, or should that be randomly plonked, many cyrillic dials on many older Russian airfcraft.

TU 154.JPG
TU 154.JPG (112.12 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Caco

Octopussy2
Capt
Capt

#132 Post by Octopussy2 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:54 pm

Hello all. Back from hols.

handsfree so glad to hear the procedure went well and you're on the mend. Hugs to everyone else with health issues, speedy recovery to all.

Hols were fab, and involved a tidal wave of rose, with some rafting and fairly character-building canoeing. However, all good things must come to an end and I'm off to pick up mother from the airport. For a 3 week stint.

wings folded
Capt
Capt

#133 Post by wings folded » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:58 pm

Oh dear

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#134 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

'er in doors in outside bath. Just deciding a film to watch this evening. Cracking clear blue skies but getting cool again.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#135 Post by om15 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:56 pm

Good fortune for those expecting thunderstorms, we are being tantalised with a forecast of about 15 minutes light drizzle tonight, but don't expect it to happen as this has been on the cards with no results for a week or so now.

Country side is now rather dry round here.
Kingston Lacy 180727.jpg
Kingston Lacy 180727.jpg (80.73 KiB) Viewed 599 times
Good luck for those with ailments, Hf, Ibbie, Angels, I have one hour five minutes to my first pint of the week, chilled Wainwrights followed by an IPA and then a McEwans before tea. Fish salad with home made spuds, no cabbage tonight thank goodness.

ribrash

#136 Post by ribrash » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:38 pm

Nice one Slash.I remember the day or should I say the end of a nightshift when I decided I'd had enough.

DBx
Capt
Capt

#137 Post by DBx » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:32 pm

Dry weather seems to have caused a lot of subsidence on that big house, definite lean to the left!

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#138 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:49 pm

Good decision Slash - well done!

The rain is bypassing us yet again on a South to North track. Rumbles of thunder to the east of us. We could really do with some rain. Tomorrow promises some heavy stuff for the whole area.
wx.JPG
wx.JPG (79.85 KiB) Viewed 568 times
Everything including fog later:

TAF AMD EGPD 271631Z 2716/2812 13009KT 9999 FEW015 TEMPO 2716/2812 3000 +TSRA BKN004 BKN012CB PROB30 TEMPO 2716/2718 1400 +TSGR PROB40 TEMPO 2800/2808 0600 FG OVC001=
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#139 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:29 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:49 pm
Good decision Slash - well done!
The rain is bypassing us yet again on a South to North track. Rumbles of thunder to the east of us. We could really do with some rain. Tomorrow promises some heavy stuff for the whole area.
wx.JPG

Everything including fog later:

TAF AMD EGPD 271631Z 2716/2812 13009KT 9999 FEW015 TEMPO 2716/2812 3000 +TSRA BKN004 BKN012CB PROB30 TEMPO 2716/2718 1400 +TSGR PROB40 TEMPO 2800/2808 0600 FG OVC001=

SNAP!

Apart from a heavy shower this morning we have had nothing but the distant sound of thunder and the occasional desultory shower that wouldn't moisten a budgie's beak.

Hot, humid and basically dry. Just enough cloud to make viewing of the eclipse of the moon impossible too! Oh for a cathartic Transvaal thunderstorm right now.

Who knows what tomorrow promises as the local forecast for today was essentially wrong.

Caco

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#140 Post by 1DC » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:32 pm

Been without power for an hour or so, just got it back.Steady rain nothing heavy, lots of bangs and flashes but nothing torrential. Had a line squall go through just before the power cut, don't know if that caused it. Winds easily 60mph..Reckon it will be a humid night..
Well done for making the decision Slash, I hardly know anyone who regretted retiring, especially in this modern age..
Looking at the forecast i think Angels will be right for the weather at my BBQ.. Oz daughter can book barbies months ahead and know it will be a nice day..
Nice to see the Octo returned, hope the benefits of the holiday aren't turned upside down in the next three weeks.