The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#18761 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:02 pm

Not boring and not pointless, but no obvious thread to post this:- Teenager mathmo.

Capetonian

#18762 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:58 pm

Ah, la querida administracion Espanola ....

This is why 'gestorias' exist and make such a good living!

A short tale from when I lived in Madrid :
I went to the Police to advise my new address and renew my Spanish Residence Permit, which is only a formality. They didn't have the forms, so said they would 'phone me to let me know when they had them - very nice and helpful. I asked them if I could go to the Traffic Department and change the address on my driver's licence before I got it changed on the residence permit ... - 'yes, no problem, one thing has nothing to with another ...'. So off I went to the driving licence place where the guy told me that he couldn't do it until I had changed the address on the residence permit. When I told him that I had tried to do so, but they had run out of forms, he obviously didn't believe me, so I told him to ring the lady at the police station (I even had her name) and confirm it. Then he started explaining it all again and said 'perhaps you don't understand me properly .... ' which really put my back up and I told him that I did understand him perfectly, but that what he was telling me was different to what the police had told me. After a long argument which ensued because I refused to back down, and got him to call his boss, it turned out that technically I and the police were right, but by that time it was 2 o'clock and time to close for the day ..... In fact in Spain there is usually no right or wrong, but the person who holds out for longest wins, regardless of the facts (unlike bullfighting where the only variable is the length of time during which the bull is tortured before being killed by the brave matador in his poofter pants, or his merry men.)

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18763 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:51 pm

Cape thanks for the happy reading.

We had booked with a friend a seaside hotel but beer virus case made us postponed the reservation

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18764 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:42 pm

Popped into Embra to give my banksters there a good bearding. They need a good face slapping every two or three years, but I couldn't do dat ting at a range of two metres. They are now on notice that the two metre rule will someday be relaxed and they will get a combined face-slapping and arse-kicking if they don't buck up and start pulling their weight.

It's busy in Princes Street and elsewhere in the centre. Couldn't figure out the logic of which shops are open and which are closed, but most are open. There were even some East Asian tourists! :-h

Found that the ticket inspectors on Dutch National Railways "ScotRail" don't check tickets. I wasted guid Scots Pun notes buying First Class tickets each way. :((

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18765 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:54 pm

Can't be as bad as Smile 😡 logging in has varied from near impossible to not at all for most of this week and not an effing word from the CEO who has been quite open with pointless chatty covid messages.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18766 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:57 pm

Mrs 4ma just returned from town and is not a happy bunny....in fact she's a very, very unhappy bunny.

After making her intended purchases she went to the bus station to catch the bus home. Bus pulls in, indicator boards show destination as our part of town so Mrs 4ma gets on board, settles in her seat and waits for bus to depart. Bus departs on time and Mrs 4ma sends me a text to let me know she's on her way and to put the kettle on for a cup of tea for her.

Bus goes past Chez 4ma but no Mrs 4ma. Wait a few minutes..where is she?.. More time passes phone rings.... "I'm on the wrong bus". "Where are you?" "Bottesford!!!"

Bus driver changed the destination board after Mrs 4ma got on the bus and didn't say anything to the passengers. Mrs 4ma wasn't the only passenger from this side of town who made an unplanned trip to Leicestershire.

One mustn't laugh...at least not when she's nearby. =))
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18767 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:09 pm

4ma, one can resemble that story.

Young daughter, 13, went from Lincoln to Nottingham shopping, it was 30 years ago. They caught the train home and ended up in Loughborough. The BT Police came up trumps and saw that were returned to Lincoln in safety and no extra charge.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18768 Post by om15 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:46 pm

My visits to Olga invariably result in having to take a course of penicillin, that is just the way it is.
Misery is compounded by not being able to drink beer with the pills, supposedly, I have just had a bottle of Bishops Finger 5.4% Kentish Ale, very nice it was too.
Allotment planed for tomorrow, strimming, weeding and sitting in the shed, followed by a bottle of Organic Pale Ale and a chilli for tea.
I have cleaned the garage, polished the floor and tidied up ready for the new arrival on Wednesday, Misty has picked up on my excitement and is swirling around the other bikes in anticipation.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#18769 Post by jimtherev » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:11 pm

om15 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:46 pm
My visits to Olga invariably result in having to take a course of penicillin, that is just the way it is.
Misery is compounded by not being able to drink beer with the pills...
Try to get prescribed doxycycline. I've read the leaflet top-to-bottom and there ain't nuffin about beer.
In fact, I've a box of doxy to the left of my keyboard - one nightly - and a tankard to the right - one nightly.
Cheers

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18770 Post by EA01 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:15 pm

Morning All

17c @ 09:10 local, winds calm...not too much planned for the day.

Mrs Fliegs & I off for drinks with a bunch of gym girlfriends after 2ish. One has recently left her husband and she is now residing in the neighbouring suburb, not too far away. So a 'welcome' drink I suppose. These have been frequently known to extend to 2ish the following morning, but I do feel I am really getting too old for that now...

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18771 Post by OFSO » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:14 am

Blowing a chill wind up here. 22° but feels colder. No storms in sight, pity as air needs clearing.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18772 Post by handsfree » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:17 am

Good morning on and all.
Fair amount of cloud about and a mere 11C. It must be summer.

Yesterday was FRIDAY. Didn't even realise it was until this morning.

Dentists seem to revel in prescribing metronidazole. I think it's just to
prove that they really are sadists.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18773 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:28 am

handsfree wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:17 am
Dentists seem to revel in prescribing metronidazole. I think it's just to prove that they really are sadists.
Over the years with rotting teeth I found that metronidazole was the only antibiotic that worked for me.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18774 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:51 am

Cool 10 degrees in a breeze but not once we got going. We put the same hare up 4 times and I had to run to keep up - at my age with my knees! And she was on a lead. Twice round the same field then after an hour, on the way back, she was all for exploring the rabbit warren.

Back home, bath, breakfast, bed for a nap. 45 minutes later up for a game of football and we are still slurping our tea.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18775 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:52 am

Went over 4ma's canal yesterday at Denton Wharf. It very looks much work to be done with the weeds winning at the moment.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18776 Post by barkingmad » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:05 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:54 pm
Can't be as bad as Smile 😡 logging in has varied from near impossible to not at all for most of this week and not an effing word from the CEO who has been quite open with pointless chatty covid messages.
It seems like the customers of Smile may not be smiling for some time if this report is true;

'I left Smile Bank today due to the ongoing outage' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53361580

Whilst appreciating competition I hold nagging doubts about new improved smaller companies getting into such areas.
The UK has an unenviable reputation for smaller energy companies going ‘phut’ suddenly leaving their former customers with the inevitable bureaucratic nightmare of supplier change and settlement of bills.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18777 Post by Wodrick » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:14 am

G'day,
I think broken is the word, definitely more than scattered.
It'll have to burn away if the guess of 30 is to be achieved.

Fencing commenced on the dot at 07.30. Sam has had a gate custom made, I'll post a picture later it's a smashing gate :YMAPPLAUSE:
They are supposed to finish today but he WhatsApped me last night to say they didn't expect to and will be back on Monday to complete.
That will cost more but for a decent job I don't care. they work hard and 140€ a day for two chaps is not excessive in my view.

Saturday again don't the weeks fly by.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

reddo
Capt
Capt

#18778 Post by reddo » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:39 am

G-CPTN Very interesting story. Thanks for sharing it.

As for those who battle the Spanish bureaucracy, my sympathies. I have colleagues in Spain and they tear their hair out often.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18779 Post by OFSO » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:58 am

During my exeaunt from Spain, my monthly internet bill from Telefonica has doubled. No explanation.

Capetonian

#18780 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:13 am

I heard a horrendous story yesterday on BBC Watchdog. A woman had installed a CCTV device to remotely monitor her horses. The 'camera' part transmitted via a small box which contained a SIM card.

Someone had managed to hack into the box (she'd left the default password) and ran up a bill of £5000 over 3 months, instead of the £60/month.