General Chit Chat
Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#21981 Post by Wodrick » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:06 am

17 for 23
Cloudless again.

Contractors here doing more fencing, dogs not a happy bunch.

Strimmer arrived in kit form, assembled despite the instructions, ground runs later probably this afternoon.

The latest W10 update ruined my settings. It keeps resetting the default to Bing. I need to do some reading, I do not want Bing.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#21982 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:13 am

13 going 14 and uncomfortably warm. Oddly the dog led the way on a route I had decided on. Odd on that she almost invariably tries to avoid in favour of the right fork.

We left our leaves last year as HF plans, the buff paving slabs turned black. Took ages to get them clean using bleach and soapy water - weeks not hours.

A friend up UP's way tidies up by waiting till a frost the hoovers up upon his ride on.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#21983 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:29 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:13 am
A friend up UP's way tidies up by waiting till a frost then hoovers up upon his ride on.
Which chops them ready for composting and they rapidly form leaf-mould.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#21984 Post by handsfree » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:05 am

Oh the leaves will only be left until tomorrow PN. I'll rake the one's on the grass out of the way and then
use the devil's own leaf sucker to get the ones off the gravel paths. The sucker does a wonderful of mulching them.
It's electric so it is fairly neighbour friendly.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#21985 Post by reddo » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:19 am

RiS

Very long story. In short, we had a union busting boss both here and in the US. The US union is very strong. We decided that we needed something to protect our CBA and our rights from abuse by our bosses (this had happened in the past).
So the lead activists were French and German pilots. Both of which had served time in the office in lower level management roles. (Chief pilots etc).
When we won the court case for recognition, the company responded by dismissing all French captains and nearly all the Belgian captains citing social security costs being too high to sustain them.

The intention was to break the newly formed union. It didn't work. All it did was highlight the necessity of having one to protect our rights.

This was displayed again this year.

Both bosses were dismissed and the boss that tried to screw us over this year has also gone.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#21986 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:27 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:13 am
13 going 14 and uncomfortably warm.
You want to try 40° and still a possibility of 50° before the rains. Fallen branch removed £50 including 80 km round journey. Gardner helped. I told him a two hour job but it only took one so he stayed an extra hour for a beer. Great guy from by the Great Zimbabwe Ruins.

Mammoth watering. I am not very observant. Fluffy slippers by the front door for the last week. Just realised our housekeeper walks 2 km through the bush to here in them. Pay day. They still do not have bank accounts, cheques. Just had a phone call from the bank apparently my signature on a cheque is not the same as on record. Of course it isn't changes all the time. Now the housekeeper wants Orange Money. No idea what it is, not doing it. Live reporting, think we have persuaded them to have bank accounts.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#21987 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:35 am

Booked the car in for Tuesday to have its winter shoes fitted.

I'm astonished by how few miles I've driven that car in the past half a year. Normally I'd expect to do about 8,000 miles but this year its been less than 400 since I put the summer tyres on. Not doing a trip to the continent makes a big difference of course, but with the lockdown(s) I've used the car very little.

With the central belt being on a quasi-lockdown we are not supposed to travel between NHS regions unless on essential business so there will be very little driving for me to do this winter, but winter tyres do make a tremendous difference to the grippiness so they are a worthwhile investment.

I haven't seen a long range forecast for this winter yet, but we are long overdue for a proper cold winter like in 62/63. I'm stocking up with victuals on a presumption of being cut off for a month.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#21988 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:36 am

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#21989 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:37 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:36 am
Orange money.
Thank you CPTN. Apparently can't transfer from a bank account have to go to an Orange outlet with cash. The whole point of our new system is to avoid cash and robberies. Told her no, get a bank account Explained about ATMs. They all want to go with the National Bank because it cheaper. The queues are a mile long. At our bank you walk straight in. Mind you, as a pensioner I can go to the front of any queue here. Also pregnant, cripple and a school child. Work the last one out. The little bastards can queue.

Gardener lost phone again. This involves him borrowing one of ours and going around the estate listening for the ring. He found it.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#21990 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:41 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Orange money.
Is it free to use?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#21991 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:50 am

handsfree wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:05 am
Oh the leaves will only be left until tomorrow PN. I'll rake the one's on the grass out of the way and then
use the devil's own leaf sucker to get the ones off the gravel paths. The sucker does a wonderful of mulching them.
It's electric so it is fairly neighbour friendly.
I have an old flymo mulcher too. I used to use it for all leaves but latterly I only used it as a blower and the lawn mower as the mulcher. That was easier in our orchard. I should have used the lawn mower last year but didn't.

This year I used the lawn mower to mulch hawthorn hedge clippings and that worked brilliantly. Whereas it had taken several rubbish bags, mulched it waz just two, half filled but heavy.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#21992 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:43 pm

BBC reporting a 7.0 earthquake on Samos and other Greek islands. Fingers crossed for our Greek correspondent.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#21993 Post by ricardian » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:00 pm

handsfree wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:57 am
I would explain the Tier system we have here in England but I have a life to live. :D
You only have 3 tiers to worry about, Wee Mrs Nippy has given us 5 levels of protection!
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#21994 Post by OFSO » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:14 pm

Big earthquake in E Med. Was that blasting a hole on Amorgos for the old lady's burial?

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#21995 Post by Ibbie » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:22 pm

G'day folks.
Busy morning sorting out a problem with printing on puter system. Also have gone to wifi from cable.

Managed a trip to the new Tesco outlet. Tis only small but managed to obtained some dandelion and burdock and ginger beer.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#21996 Post by Magnus » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:41 pm

ricardian wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:00 pm

You only have 3 tiers to worry about, Wee Mrs Nippy has given us 5 levels of protection!
I wish she'd chosen a career selling toothpaste.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#21997 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:01 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:37 am
G-CPTN wrote:
Orange money.
Thank you CPTN. Apparently can't transfer from a bank account have to go to an Orange outlet with cash. The whole point of our new system is to avoid cash and robberies. Told her no, get a bank account Explained about ATMs. They all want to go with the National Bank because it cheaper. The queues are a mile long. At our bank you walk straight in. Mind you, as a pensioner I can go to the front of any queue here. Also pregnant, cripple and a school child. Work the last one out. The little bastards can queue.

Gardener lost phone again. This involves him borrowing one of ours and going around the estate listening for the ring. He found it.
Tell him to get a Xiaomi band and keep the phone and the band connected via bluetooth. Once the headset is lost he can walks around the estate pinging the phone.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#21998 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:03 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:43 pm
BBC reporting a 7.0 earthquake on Samos and other Greek islands. Fingers crossed for our Greek correspondent.
Thanks for bringing it up. I am a fair distance away safe and happily missed the tremor around my place. It seems the island escaped the worst despite three tsunamis.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#21999 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:06 pm

OFSO wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:14 pm
Big earthquake in E Med. Was that blasting a hole on Amorgos for the old lady's burial?
Could very well have been. Planting someone on an island which is basically granite and marble is a problem. Some years ago the grave digger was sent down the hole twice to make it big enough during the funeral. The open coffin was balanced on the pile of rocks at a 45 degree angle over the edge of a car park 50' below. We were sure the old girl was going to roll out and end up in the car park.

Then there was the time they lost the shovel to fill the hole in.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22000 Post by ian16th » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:54 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:41 am
G-CPTN wrote:
Orange money.
Is it free to use?
Someone is taking a cut of each transaction somehow.
Cynicism improves with age