Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

General Chit Chat
Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

#461 Post by Fliegenmong » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:39 am

Curious thing is we've heard for years about an impending pandemic...didn't Bill Gates do a Ted Talk (?) a few years ago about it? It's always been there, periodic articles about another 'Thing' coming, and is this it? Always coming and Health Authorities squealing about not enough ICU Beds, yet I bet they have been slowlt decreasing because of 'Cost'....Hmm??
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

ribrash

#462 Post by ribrash » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:11 pm

Went to chemist to pick up my meds....not there.I anticipated this by ordering my prescription a week early so I still have a weeks supply to keep me going next week.Shold have arrived by then. Needed milk.Stood in queue at Sainsburys,6 at a time in shop.Picked up milk,spotted wine box,picked up wine.Home.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#463 Post by Magnus » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:17 pm

Ribrash, the priority shopping time in most places here is generally early AM. Wonderful in theory. However, licensing in Scotland only allows off-sales between 10am and 10pm. So much for essential supplies.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#464 Post by ian16th » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:06 pm

Now here is a story.
“There was this bottleneck so we decided someone's got to address it. We're a big company and we've got a lot of people we can throw at this very quickly. A lot of the manufacturers are much smaller scale so let's get on and do this.”
And when the crises is over, and demand falls to the pre-pandemic levels, is Ineos going to close down this new factory and give the market back to the 'smaller scale manufactures'?
Cynicism improves with age

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#465 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:18 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:23 pm
........Sainsburys now ask vulnerable customers to register on the gov.uk website. The Government will then forward the data of those who qualify to Sainsburys who will be in touch. Sounded amazing, so off I went........only to find out that this service is only available to those who live in England. ~X( So stuffed again as there's no iformation on the Scottish Government website to help. Email sent to my MP as one retired Naval Officer to another pleading for help......
Just had a response from Andrew Bowie the Conservative MP for West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine where I live. He will be pushing the Scottish Government to match the Westminster Government scheme. He asked if I was able to get shopping done and if not he would personally do some for me. I did swing the 'one retired Naval Officer to another' bit but even so I'm impressed with the offer. As mentioned elsewhere I now have a regular Tuesday delivery slot with ASDA from 7 April so no problems. Hopefully Andrew can get something done for other wrinklies in Scotland. :-bd
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#466 Post by unifoxos » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:23 pm

Been trying for a while to amend my existing order at Morrisons. Current status:-

Number of users in queue ahead of you: 98836
Your estimated wait time is: 43 minutes
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#467 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:27 pm

Just in case anyone living in England wants to register as extremely vulnerable on the gov.uk website and hasn't found it, the link is : https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable . They prefer you to have your National Health Number to hand if possible. You can also register someone else with them.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Capetonian

#468 Post by Capetonian » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:46 pm

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-conseq ... f-covid-19
As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

I was surprised when I saw this, but on reading it, it makes sense.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#469 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:20 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:18 pm
He asked if I was able to get shopping done and if not he would personally do some for me. I did swing the 'one retired Naval Officer to another' bit but even so I'm impressed with the offer. As mentioned elsewhere I now have a regular Tuesday delivery slot with ASDA from 7 April so no problems. Hopefully Andrew can get something done for other wrinklies in Scotland. :-bd
Good man.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#470 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 pm

Just checked my Waitrose order for 19th April. Bread is off. Butter is off. I can only have 3 carrots. Flour is off.

That is in addition to every thing else I could not order last week (for 19th).

No wonder people order one bottle of £40 champagne to keep the slot.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#471 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:13 pm

PN, how does it work with the delivery? You place an order, you are given a date and a list of stuff you may have at that slot as of today and if most stuff arrives it is included in your delivery at the offered slot?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#472 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:22 pm

Not sure. Say I wanted some button mushrooms last week. If they were not available then I could not order them. Now supposing they had been available last week but not this, then I can't check out until I delete them.

Crazy. That is why some people reserve a slot with a £40 bottle of champers and write the real list the day before. Stupid way to run a business.
We wrote the list, managed to knock off toothpaste and shampoo from the next month list.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#473 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:51 am

I had to take a picture of this sign in Epping at 09:30 this morning...

Epping.JPG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#474 Post by Magnus » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:55 am

I see our Prime Minister has caught it.

I liked the message that reported "Prince Charles has self-isolated with Covid-19. Prince Andrew has self-isolated with Sophie, 15".

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#475 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:57 pm

Jennifer 14_yesterday 😁

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#476 Post by OFSO » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:26 pm

Damn and blast. Just heard our corner shop, Prestos, really good guys who sell everything, is closing from Monday on. How will we survive. Now suicide looks a more reasonable idea.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#477 Post by Magnus » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:18 pm

Sorry, PN.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#478 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:42 pm

Magnus wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:18 pm
Sorry, PN.
Not at all maybe she wanted out of he wanted a change 😁

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#479 Post by om15 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:47 pm

Ribrash, I use these people, https://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk it is simple, you register and they contact your surgery, every month they send me an email and I have to click and two or three days later it arrives in the post, never had a problem, there is a slight creep forward so that I always have a month or so pills in hand.
It works perfectly.

Lots of people out walking and cycling today, I have learnt that I can go to my allotment with out arrest, I have a modest supply of Pale Ale and bottles of bitter tucked away, and three books arrived in the post today, ( a couple of James Holland history of WWII, and a copy of "Lone Rider" by Elspeth Beard, a lady architect who rode a motorbike around the world when she was 23 in the 1960s.)

Have deep cleaned and polished both bikes, after all this can't go on forever,... can it?

ribrash

#480 Post by ribrash » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:33 pm

om15 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:47 pm
Ribrash, I use these people, https://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk it is simple, you register and they contact your surgery, every month they send me an email and I have to click and two or three days later it arrives in the post, never had a problem, there is a slight creep forward so that I always have a month or so pills in hand.
It works perfectly.

Lots of people out walking and cycling today, I have learnt that I can go to my allotment with out arrest, I have a modest supply of Pale Ale and bottles of bitter tucked away, and three books arrived in the post today, ( a couple of James Holland history of WWII, and a copy of "Lone Rider" by Elspeth Beard, a lady architect who rode a motorbike around the world when she was 23 in the 1960s.)

Have deep cleaned and polished both bikes, after all this can't go on forever,... can it?
Never normally a problem.I think the delivery drivers are struggling.I pick up because 2 months of what I take is the size of a wine box.I don't want to sit in waiting for delivery.Would be no problem at the moment of course.