The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#4681 Post by 1DC » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:23 pm

Oz daughter on her way back to Oz today, Mrs1DC handling it fairly well she was more upset yesterday for some reason. Only downer is she should have been flying KLM to the far east but has been switched to Air France..
Weatherwise been good 10C but a lot of wind.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4682 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:21 pm

It rematerialised yesterday afternoon in one of the inner pockets in one of her handbags
.......one of her handbags. That's the clue, why do women need so many ? I have one wallet, one briefcase and one bag full of flying junk that I take to the Aero Club. Mind you .... I do occasionally forget where I put my reading glasses, sunglasses, or car keys !

Mrs. ExS also has about 20 "shopping bags" of different designs, and now that the NZ Supermarkets have stopped giving plastic bags, decisions now are not only which Supermarket to use, but which "matching" bag to take ? Too much, I have selected one to keep in the trunk of my car, and if it happens to bear the logo of the competition - tough. I also sneak around helping myself to the still available plastic bags provided for the "nude vegetables" ( new protocol) 'cos we need them for various waste receptacles around the house. I know, but until the supermarkets stop providing them, and also packing bakery items in large, hard shell plastic boxes, they're only really playing at plastic saving.

Capetonian

#4683 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:36 pm

Don't get me started.

SWMBO carries every single piece of documentation, every store card, credit card, debit card, identity card, driving licence, and receipt with which she has ever been issued, on every occasion, resulting in a bag weighing about 3 kgs.

I carry whichever bank card)s I may need for the country I am in at the time, and the appropriate one of my 3 driving licences. Some cash in the local currency, and that's it.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4684 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:05 pm

I akcherly have three wallets, ( plastic sleeved, credit card sized variety ) one each for UK, USA, NZ so I don't have to sort through the junk whenever we travel, just pick up the relevant one, apart from my one and only driving licence, which has to be re-located. Cash notes are carried loose, in a "money clip", yes they occasionally get scruffy and bent around the edges, tough. Apart from bags, Mrs, ExS has a variety of "purses" that are loaded with whatever she thinks might be necessary for the out-of-house-excursion of today. Takes forever to get ready to leave, and invariably "something" is left behind.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#4685 Post by jimtherev » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:49 pm

... and yet, "they" still criticise us for the contents of our pockets.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4686 Post by llondel » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:54 am

I put on a coat I haven't worn for a couple of months and discovered a steel comb in the pocket that I'd lost. I'd been wearing that coat at a dog show (because it was pissing down with rain that day) and had tucked the comb in the pocket when going in the ring and then forgot. Normally when I turn out my pockets there's a roll of dog poo bags in there. Even when flying (with no dog) I'm usually carrying a roll that gets dumped in the tray for the x-ray machine with everything else. It's preferable to finding one is needed and not having one.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4687 Post by Ibbie » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:16 am

Morning folks

Due out in 15 minutes to hospital for Sintrom testing clinic. Back in four hours!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4688 Post by OFSO » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:55 am

An afternoon's pause but this morning big wind is back, although much milder. Third night of sleeplessness due to pulled shoulder muscle. Off to gym today to see if that relaxes things, especially the sauna.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4689 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:00 am

Cape, I bet that SWMBO doesn't carry around a thick woolly cardigan everywhere in her bag even when it is 40 degs in the shade, work that one out.

In the pocket of my shirt I have driving licence, Visa, health insurance card and a few business cards. Shorts pocket smart phone. That is it. I haven't carried money for decades I have a responsible adult with me who deals with that sort of stuff.

Big thunderstorm last night. As usual it missed us a massive 1.5 mm of rain. Needless to say mammoth watering taking place. One of the popups in the irrigation system seems to be blocked. This is a bit of a major operation involving digging. Folk coming to see us at the weekend so will avoid big hole in the lawn until after then. 'erbert will just have to put a sprinkler there.

A little hazy 24 degs calm wind. Expect mid 30s later.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4690 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:09 am

Having a shed full of shopping/hand bags must be in the female genes. Before Christmas, I was having the usual "What do I get 'er indoors?" crisis so I took a gamble. She now expects a new Radley bag every year - your other halves will understand.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4691 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:11 am

In the spirit of the "totally pointless" I post an old South African advert and a sketch about South African women for a certain moonshine drinking Captain of this parish! ;)))

He knows what I mean! ;)))

Caco

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4692 Post by ian16th » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 am

+1 money clip user. No wallet.

Something that started on my 1st visit to Karachi.
The local money was reams of scruffy paper notes for anything more than a shilling.

The clip worked, and have used it ever since.

One thing I used in those pre-Euro days when I travelled for work, was a collection of 35mm film containers.
I had one for each countries coins.
Crossing a border meant emptying my pocket of loose change into one container, and emptying another container into my pocket.
Cynicism improves with age

Octopussy2
Capt
Capt

#4693 Post by Octopussy2 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:32 am

Very droll, Magnus and Wodrick.

Excellent news Groundgripper!

I suspect I am one of a tiny minority of women who only has one handbag at a time. And I'm pretty low-maintenance about it. Gets replaced every year or 18 months or so by the simple expedient of walking into TK Maxx and picking the one I like most (currently a rather nice Paul Costelloe).

I do admit, however, to having about a gazillion supermarket bags - they don't do plastic bags in supermarkets here or in France, and I'm constantly forgetting to take a bag with me so end up buying a new one far more often than I should. At a conservative estimate, I reckon I've got about 40.

Octokitten2 is 11 today. Bloody inconvenient having a birthday this close to Christmas.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4694 Post by OFSO » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 am

Muffalo has been issued with a permanent house exclusion order after stealing today's chicken lunch from on top of the cooker. No other cat we have admitted has ever done this. Panther by appearance and....

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4695 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:24 am

OFSO wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 am
Muffalo has been issued with a permanent house exclusion order after stealing today's chicken lunch from on top of the cooker. No other cat we have admitted has ever done this. Panther by appearance and....
Apropos the cat ASBO!
If Not for the Cat
By Jack Prelutsky

If not for the cat,
And the scarcity of cheese chicken,
I could be content.
Bad Muffalo! =))

Caco

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4696 Post by ricardian » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:25 am

OFSO wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 am
Our very first dog was a pedigree German Shepherd. In the 12 years that he spent with us he ate or destroyed:
  • A complete Christmas cake (leaving just the plastic robin)
  • A Sunday joint (leaving the fork)
  • A dozen hot cross buns, straight out of the oven and cooling on a wire tray (He didn't even have the grace to be sick!)
  • A refrigerator - that is, the paintwork from the area around the handle and most of the insulation around the electric lead.
  • Just one shoe from a pair that Mrs R had just bought and had only tried on in the shop.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4697 Post by llondel » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:47 pm

Fortunately we don't seem to have incidents with cats stealing from the kitchen work surfaces. This may be due to the presence of the dogs discouraging them from being in that room. The older dogs know not to go counter surfing even though they don't need to jump to see what's there. The younger one is still learning and so cannot be completely trusted if she thinks she's not being observed.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4698 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:30 pm

Octopussy2 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:32 am
...................Octokitten2 is 11 today. Bloody inconvenient having a birthday this close to Christmas.
No 2 Grandson decided to appear at 13.30 on New Year's Eve having been due on Christmas Day. Junior daughter was hanging on like hell to avoid having a Christmas Day baby. I told her to check the calendar next time if she was thinking of having another sprog.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Octopussy2
Capt
Capt

#4699 Post by Octopussy2 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:54 pm

4ma - New Year's Eve is waaaaay better than Christmas day and also New Year's Day! One of the wildest party people I know (my darling Bad Influence Friend, whom I love dearly) has his birthday on New Year's Day and probably hasn't had a birthday without a hangover for, ohhh, 40 years (he's 55).

My Mum is Christmas Day so I can empathise with that one - Junior daughter did the right thing!!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4700 Post by OFSO » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:08 pm

Congrats, 4Mast. Is he beautiful like his grandfather, or like his uncles here on Ops-Normal ?