Photos of Everybody

General Chit Chat
FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Photos of Everybody

#141 Post by FD2 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:56 am

Caco

If I ever manage to get to Simonstown I'll certainly try the yacht club!

It looks as though Gerhardt got away with it by the skin of his teeth. As he was spying for the Russians and against the established government they presumably felt they couldn't do anything to him after he was found guilty of treason just prior to a change of that government. No doubt he's safe and sound now - Wikipedia says he lives in Switzerland, which is nice for him. Maybe he felt he couldn't live any more in the country he'd helped create. It's also a pity that the Soviet Union's spies from the Cambridge spy ring weren't made to live in the conditions that most Muskovites had to endure, but the USSR treated them as heroes and they were as comfortable as any of the other elite apparachniks.

I expect you found the submarine very cramped and smelly with diesel and stale bodies if it was anything like the RN boats! I see it had to be re-named 'Spear' 30 years after being built, presumably to remove any taint of the previous regime?

The only Iranian I remember from Dartmouth was the Shah's nephew who had a very well cultivated curl of the lip when speaking to me when I was a duty cadet. He came to a sticky end when he was murdered in Paris in 1979 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahriar_Shafiq

The radar station sounds a little like skulduggery by NATO! I guess it was an attempt to keep an eye on the Soviets? There was a lot of paranoia about them then, just as there is now, but in these times of 'false news' who knows which was is up anymore? The ignorance of past events amongst younger generations can be amazing but I think my knowledge was also very limited until I got a bit older and took my head out of the sand!

I've been spelling the town as 'Simonstown' as we knew it then but it seems to have become 'Simon's Town' nowadays so apologies if I've erred. Do you know who Simon was?

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#142 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:05 am

FD2 wrote:Caco

If I ever manage to get to Simonstown I'll certainly try the yacht club!

It looks as though Gerhardt got away with it by the skin of his teeth. As he was spying for the Russians and against the established government they presumably felt they couldn't do anything to him after he was found guilty of treason just prior to a change of that government. No doubt he's safe and sound now - Wikipedia says he lives in Switzerland, which is nice for him. Maybe he felt he couldn't live any more in the country he'd helped create. It's also a pity that the Soviet Union's spies from the Cambridge spy ring weren't made to live in the conditions that most Muskovites had to endure, but the USSR treated them as heroes and they were as comfortable as any of the other elite apparachniks.

I expect you found the submarine very cramped and smelly with diesel and stale bodies if it was anything like the RN boats! I see it had to be re-named 'Spear' 30 years after being built, presumably to remove any taint of the previous regime?

The only Iranian I remember from Dartmouth was the Shah's nephew who had a very well cultivated curl of the lip when speaking to me when I was a duty cadet. He came to a sticky end when he was murdered in Paris in 1979 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahriar_Shafiq

The radar station sounds a little like skulduggery by NATO! I guess it was an attempt to keep an eye on the Soviets? There was a lot of paranoia about them then, just as there is now, but in these times of 'false news' who knows which was is up anymore? The ignorance of past events amongst younger generations can be amazing but I think my knowledge was also very limited until I got a bit older and took my head out of the sand!

I've been spelling the town as 'Simonstown' as we knew it then but it seems to have become 'Simon's Town' nowadays so apologies if I've erred. Do you know who Simon was?

I alway spell Simons Town Simonstown (I wouldn't worry). The town was named after Simon Van Der Stel, the Dutch governor in the Cape...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_van_der_Stel

As you say the Maria Van Riebeeck (the first dutch governor in the Cape) was renamed as were all the other ships...

The story of the ongoing incomptetence in the SANDF (and the new navy) and the crooked arms deal after 1994 is one that just runs and runs mind...

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south- ... erational/

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?o ... e-security

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5kF7JVN67w[/bbvideo]

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#143 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:06 pm

As you say the Maria Van Riebeeck (the first Dutch governor in the Cape) was renamed as were all the other ships...

His wife of course...

Maria_Quevellerius_or_Maria_Scipio.jpg
Maria_Quevellerius_or_Maria_Scipio.jpg (204.84 KiB) Viewed 2245 times

Caco

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#144 Post by FD2 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:58 pm

Many thanks Caco - I can see why the arms deal has scandalised the country.

The MOD Procurement Executive has caused more than a few scandals in the UK and wasted a lot of money over the years. It's not helped now by a financial situation where the Chancellor daren't spend any more money than he has to, as there are rather large bills (!) to be paid and borrowing is a little high to pay them :-o , but I think, without being too political, that one of a government's basic priorities is to defend its citizens.

To return to the subject, we actually had a decent snowfall in Hampshire in 1954 (I think) so we made an igloo (sort of)

Igloo 2.jpg
Igloo 2.jpg (206.76 KiB) Viewed 2235 times

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#145 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Did your elder brother give you a hard time FD2? I was lucky as I was the leader of the pack being the eldest of 7 (3 boys and 4 girls)! According to my youngest brother I was a complete swine! :))

My middle brother is in his nappies in this photo. Sadly not with us any more. The youngest brother was just a gleam in the milkman's eye. Sisters, the 2 here and to 2 to come, have all married Englishmen, can you believe it!

CacoFam.JPG
CacoFam.JPG (106.61 KiB) Viewed 2229 times

Caco with his son some 25 years ago! Where does the time go?

CacoSon.JPG
CacoSon.JPG (182.66 KiB) Viewed 2229 times

Caco

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#146 Post by FD2 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:17 pm

Like chickens, wolves and most animals there has to be a pecking order (to the benefit of the eldest naturally!) and my brother gave me a hard time, just as our children and brothers-in-law have their seniority order, after a fashion. Any unreasonable refusal on the part of the junior ones is mutiny! [-X

Part way through training at Culdrose 46 years ago - now I feel really ancient - was I ever that young? Looks like I'm wearing brothel creepers.

705 Squadron 1971.jpg
705 Squadron 1971.jpg (488.91 KiB) Viewed 2218 times

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#147 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:47 pm

Ah the Whirly 7! I remember cold winter days as a stude on solo trips firing cartridge after cartridge trying to get all 14 cylinders of that damn Alvis Leonides Major engine to fire......then the instructor ambles out and starts it first attempt....
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#148 Post by FD2 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:26 pm

Bad sound track whinge

I watched a film of six or so Sea Kings in formation - I think on 'Sailor' and the sound track was like 6 Leonides! It sounded like a formation of un-silenced lawn mowers!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#149 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:34 am

December 1978. I may have posted this before but not on this thread. BFTS Royal Air Force Cranwell. Most of us did OK. Left to Right. 1. Ex-Ascot, 2. Chopped - scribbly, 3. Lt Cdr, highly decorated in Falklands War on Sea Harriers, Cathay Capt, 4. Air Cdre, Harriers, only non-reflective ever to make Air rank, 5. Lt Cdr, Sea Harriers, Virgin Capt 6. Chopped - Nav, 7. Wg Cdr, Harriers, founding member Catalina Society, Cathay Capt, 8. AVM, Harriers, Defence Attache Washington. 9. (foreground) Flt Lt,Tornado, founding member Catalina Society, killed 1988 low level head on with another Tornado. No.7 flew the Catalina over the church at his funeral. Very, very low! Almost a touch and go in the font.

Edit. Just seen this, very sad: No.5 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2 ... ier-pilot/ Met him once on my jet as a passenger going to Washington.
Attachments
Cranwell.jpg
Cranwell.jpg (296.35 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#150 Post by Opsboi » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:27 pm

Is that Charlie Cantan?

Ooops, sorry, didn't read the link first time round

Slasher

#151 Post by Slasher » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:31 pm

You looked a right dapper fellow back then Ex-A...sir. No wonder TS fell for ya! :D

Caco - quick question mate. Why are you holding yer flamin' willy in the Cacofam pic? :))

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#152 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:16 pm

Slasher wrote:Caco - quick question mate. Why are you holding yer flamin' willy in the Cacofam pic? :))

Because it's there Slash, because it's there! ;)

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#153 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:06 pm

Opsboi wrote:Is that Charlie Cantan?

Ooops, sorry, didn't read the link first time round

Yes indeed. Doing his fast jet training to transfer from choppers to the 'new' Sea Harrier. He was of course the only one with wings amongst us.

Slasher, TS had to wait a few more years to meet me. At that time she was only a 14 year old school girl [-X :YMAPPLAUSE: :-bd B-) L-) :ymdevil:

Joking apart. There is one guy in that group I went through training with for three years whose girl friend was declared as being 18, every year, for the whole of those three years!
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#154 Post by Slasher » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:30 am

Cacophonix wrote:Because it's there Slash, because it's there! ;)

Yeh. I use the same excuse! :p

Slasher, TS had to wait a few more years to meet me. At that time she was only a 14 year old school girl [-X :YMAPPLAUSE: :-bd B-) L-) :ymdevil:

Understood all those carefully selected smilies mate! ;)

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#155 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:35 pm

Christmas day cruise,
Attachments
Ship.jpg
Ship.jpg (292.08 KiB) Viewed 2059 times

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#156 Post by ian16th » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:20 am

I love the Red Ensign! What is your Port of Registration, Southampton?
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#157 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:09 pm

Actually, not sure. 'Squiffy Pussy' is registered with the UK Ship Register. We have three. They didn't ask for location. We have one here, one in Greece and Mrs Ex-A. It all started of as a big joke and we never thought that we would get the name approved. Long story involving buying a catamaran (cat - pussy). The team ended up dead drunk in various yacht clubs in Burnham-On-Crouch and the two ladies! started signing in our non existent vessel's name, at the time, as Squiffy Pussy. Don't known how many yacht clubs there are there but we made our way all the way up the shore and back again. So, Squiffy Pussy was born and approved by the British Authorities.

fin
Capt
Capt

#158 Post by fin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:09 pm

Wow. That pic coulda been shot ten miles from here!
Attachments
bayou.JPG
bayou.JPG (25.63 KiB) Viewed 1997 times
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

fin
Capt
Capt

#159 Post by fin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:01 pm

FD2 wrote:
Part way through training at Culdrose 46 years ago - now I feel really ancient - was I ever that young? Looks like I'm wearing brothel creepers.

705 Squadron 1971.jpg

Looks quite like the photo I just posted in the "boring" thread.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#160 Post by FD2 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:39 am

fin:
Very similar looks - it was a long time ago and it looks antiquated now. As CharlieOneSix says, Westland fitted ours with a Leonides engine which wasn't too reliable as it rotated in the other direction so had to have another gearbox fitted in. Their corroding remains decorate seabeds around the oceans - especially in the Channel!