Formula One

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Formula One

#1 Post by OFSO » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:56 am

Having access to TV channels from half-a-dozen different countries, I can usually find at least one showing the F-1 qualifying. This morning, nothing, nada, de res, rien, uberhauptnichts. Can this be in any way related to the new idiotic qualifying system which neither spectators nor teams can understand ? Why, when the FIA have produced a workable system, do they then change it for something so complicated that..... (continued page 94). Anyway, no idea who is on pole and beginning not to care, either.

Toto Wolff has led the chorus of negative views about the new elimination-qualifying format, branding it as 'pretty rubbish' despite his Mercedes team securing a 1-2 on the grid.

Much debated before the start of the season, the worst fears of the drivers and teams would come to fruition as teams seemed confused as to what laps counted at the beginning and tactics played a part in making Q3 a one lap shootout that would see almost no car on track in the final 10mins.

With fans exiting the stands long before Q3 had been completed, Wolff has described the format as 'pretty rubbish' and wants discussions on how to change it straight away for the upcoming Bahrain Grand Prix.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Formula One

#2 Post by OFSO » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:53 am

New qualifying system abandoned after one race, reversion to former system from next race. Another bright idea that didn't last long....

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by 500N » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:04 am

F1 is boring as hell, so many people have turned off it.

We used to talk about it all the time, now it hardly makes the front page of the local newspaper.

Capetonian

#4 Post by Capetonian » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:24 am

Staring at sky.
Grass growing.
Varnish drying.
Navel gazing.
Formula 1.

In order of interest.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Wodrick » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:22 pm

From 'Autosport'
Formula 1 will no longer be shown on terrestrial television in the United Kingdom from 2019 after an exclusive six-year deal was agreed with Sky Sports.

Only the British Grand Prix will be shown free-to-air, either via one of Sky's free channels such as Pick, or by one of the BBC, ITV or Channel 4.

Channel 4 recently entered into a three-year agreement with F1, picking up the remainder of a contract dropped by the BBC after the latter was forced to axe F1 last year as part of cost-cutting measures.

"I am delighted we will continue to work together," said Bernie Ecclestone.

"Sky's commitment to the sport and standard of coverage is second to none."

Sky Sports managing director Barney Francis suggested the deal would take the organisation's partnership with F1 "to the next level".

Francis added: "Since 2012 we have demonstrated unrivalled commitment to F1, offering fans innovations, including a dedicated channel and the very best broadcasting talent.

"We are delighted we are strengthening our coverage for viewers even further, with live and exclusive F1 from 2019.

"We are pleased to support F1 and look forward to working with them to progress, develop and enhance coverage of the championship during the agreement."

For the first time from next season F1 will be screened on Sky Sports on ultra-high definition.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

msdad2
Snr FO
Snr FO

#6 Post by msdad2 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:29 am

What a joke- People are turning away from Sky in their droves due to the high prices and in turn will turn away from F1. There are ways to get F1 for free but the quality isn't always the best (racing wise as well as picture wise) so I don't bother anymore and only tend to watch the live terrestial broadcast races or the highlights package if I manage to get to it without hearing the result. My wife will be over the moon to know that in 3 short years time she will not be losing me for 3 hours on a sunny Sunday afternoon and will be lining up all those little odd jobs that need doing.
I hate Signatures!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:33 am

There are ways to get F1 for free

In fact there appear to be fewer and fewer ways to get F-1 for free. No Spanish or Catalan channel carried the race this year (that's a first) and I couldn't find it on German TV either. Yes, if it's only on sub people won't bother and Mr Ecclestone will shortly be down to his last fifty billion euros in Luxembourg and only a dozen seven-foot-tall sixteen-year-old girlfriends from Estonia.

Don't mention the wives. "are you going to insist we can't go out/go for a walk/ have my mother over AGAIN because that b--- stupid F-1 is on TV this afternoon ?"

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by 500N » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:28 am

What gets me is you had a huge, world wide event that steamrolled along, getting bigger and bigger
and they stuffed it totally with a few changes.

I understand changes but Jesus, I hardly ever hear of anyone talking F1 nowadays and that is even in
the city it has just been held in. Even the rest of the country didn't have much coverage.

It's like, take away the noise etc and it's a non event in a lot of people's eyes.

Chuks
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Chuks » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:51 am

It's on RTL in Germany, along with a lot of beer commercials. It's free and it's not bad, with Niki Lauda providing some of the commentary, as pithy and direct as ever.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:59 pm

I see Alonso is out of the next race on doctor's orders.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Woody » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:18 am

The Liverpool Echo take on F1

By Ecclestone!
A qualifying system that nobody likes. But they persist with it anyway.

Engines that nobody wants. But they persist with them anyway.

Drivers angry. Drivers ignored.

Bernie Ecclestone and his nice hair
Head honchos admitting the sport is no longer great viewing. And a new television deal that means soon hardly anybody will be watching anyway.

However, of all the remarkable facts to come out of Formula One in recent weeks, there's one head and shoulders above the rest.

Bernie Ecclestone is 85 years old.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#12 Post by Capetonian » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:25 am

Headline in one of this morning's newspapers :
Hamilton on pole

He should be, with the pole up his backside.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by 500N » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:26 am

That is a very good summary.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by OFSO » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:50 pm

Perhaps the Honourable Mr Slasher could provide us with a picture of a Pole on top of which or whom some of us might like to be ?

(Sorry chaps, grammar gone a bit off-track there, blame the Steak-and-Kidney-with-Guiness pudding for lunch !)

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Wodrick » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:34 pm

The I am White, German, and In a German car smirk.
Britany.jpg
Britany.jpg (74.16 KiB) Viewed 1933 times

The they is doin' this deliberately pout
Hamilton.jpg
Hamilton.jpg (69.41 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

MoreAviation

#16 Post by MoreAviation » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:12 pm

Forget the 'I' and just say, 'we' are two spoiled, self indulgent young multi millionaires who drive for a German car manufacturer...!

Maybe I am being unfair...

MA

Capetonian

#17 Post by Capetonian » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:07 pm

Glad to see that the odious Hamilton didn't make the championship. He could well be in line for the ***** award though, after his tactics today.

I didn't waste time or electricity watching the charade, just happened to see the headline on the BBC website.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by OFSO » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:38 pm

Such a pity Hamilton didn't win - after all his victories in the past few races have shown who is the better driver. Vettel hitting Rosberg and eliminating him (without bloodshed of course) would have made my day.

I suspect that this time next year we will be saluting Verstappen as world champion.

frostbite
Capt
Capt

#19 Post by frostbite » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:43 pm

Totally agree with Cape.

Also given up on F1 and the brief description I saw just confirms my opinion of LH.
Old enough to know better.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by OFSO » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:26 pm

Sadly I didn't have the benefit of seeing it mentioned on the BBC website. I did, however watch the race on TV (as I have almost all F-1 events in 2016) and it's on that that I base my comments on Hamilton's driving..