Formula One

General Chit Chat
Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Formula One

#81 Post by Karearea » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:06 pm

For example, McLaren-Honda send to each Grand Prix – not counting the two drivers and their own management – 121 people. ... to run two cars in one race.

In 1960, when Team Lotus fielded two cars at a continental Grand Prix, they sent just three people, or at the most four. ...
What a contrast!

A most interesting article - thank you.

Mention of the Pau Grand Prix reminded me - have you read the motoring stories of Dornford Yates? - referred to in this article which I cannot read in full unfortunately:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arch ... iction-2/

From Jonah & Co - Dornford Yates - Gutenberg

Chapter XII - How a Telegram Came For Jill, Piers Demanded His Sweetheart, and I Drove After My Wife

- the reckless drive described in that chapter was in a book of "Stories for Boys" belonging to my cousin - who became a chief pilot - and I discovered it on a wet day when staying at my uncle's farm. Stirring stuff.
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#82 Post by OneHungLow » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:11 pm

Karearea wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:06 pm
For example, McLaren-Honda send to each Grand Prix – not counting the two drivers and their own management – 121 people. ... to run two cars in one race.

In 1960, when Team Lotus fielded two cars at a continental Grand Prix, they sent just three people, or at the most four. ...
What a contrast!

A most interesting article - thank you.

Mention of the Pau Grand Prix reminded me - have you read the motoring stories of Dornford Yates? - referred to in this article which I cannot read in full unfortunately:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arch ... iction-2/

From Jonah & Co - Dornford Yates - Gutenberg

Chapter XII - How a Telegram Came For Jill, Piers Demanded His Sweetheart, and I Drove After My Wife

- the reckless drive described in that chapter was in a book of "Stories for Boys" belonging to my cousin - who became a chief pilot - and I discovered it on a wet day when staying at my uncle's farm. Stirring stuff.
I must talk about the New Zealand family that lived at the end of 3rd Street Parkhurst Johannesburg. ;)))
The observer of fools in military south and north...

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#83 Post by OneHungLow » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:39 pm

The need for speed...

Steve McQueen

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#84 Post by tango15 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:21 pm

Just been checking the Silverstone weather forecast for the weekend, and it doesn't look good. Fortunately, I decided not to work this time - I don't fancy doing 12-14 hours shifts on my feet at my age! One thing I do know, is that they can't race during thunderstorms, so there could be a few interruptions, notwithstanding the possibility of a visit from Just Stop Oil. As per Wimbledon, I understand security will be very tight.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGBV

Incidentally, the heliport is being moved from the beginning of Hangar Straight, to the other side of Dadford Road, but I believe a lot of visiting aircraft (non-fixed wing), now go into Turweston.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#85 Post by OneHungLow » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:27 pm

tango15 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:21 pm
Just been checking the Silverstone weather forecast for the weekend, and it doesn't look good. Fortunately, I decided not to work this time - I don't fancy doing 12-14 hours shifts on my feet at my age! One thing I do know, is that they can't race during thunderstorms, so there could be a few interruptions, notwithstanding the possibility of a visit from Just Stop Oil. As per Wimbledon, I understand security will be very tight.

Incidentally, the heliport is being moved from the beginning of Hangar Straight, to the other side of Dadford Road, but I believe a lot of visiting aircraft (non-fixed wing), now go into Turweston.
I am so jaundiced about F1 at the moment that I would find myself watching the camera helicopter racing around above the track with far more enthusiasm! Who said that you don't start sounding like your father after you hit a certain age. :)

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#86 Post by tango15 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:25 pm

OneHungLow wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:27 pm
tango15 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:21 pm

I am so jaundiced about F1 at the moment that I would find myself watching the camera helicopter racing around above the track with far more enthusiasm! Who said that you don't start sounding like your father after you hit a certain age. :)
Me too, which is another reason why I'm not bothering this year. I used to ask to be posted near the heliport, so that I could watch the comings and goings and you could see the track from there as well! :))

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#87 Post by OneHungLow » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:02 pm

Got home. Sat down and put Channel 4 on.

"Oh look, practice for the British Grand Prix! I'll watch that."

Blah, blah... inanity... blah... cars that sound like demented flies that all look the same, all driven by spoilt looking boys. I know, I'll close my eyes.

ZZZ... blessed sleep intrudes... wake up with a start, oh look another car, driven by a bloke called Piastri..

Switch TV off..

=))

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#88 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:31 pm

First look at Brad Pitt’s F1 movie and car as filming gets underway at Silverstone

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/07/motorspo ... index.html

Apple Original Films has unveiled details of Oscar winner Brad Pitt’s eagerly awaited Formula 1 feature film, as crews begin filming scenes with the actor at Silverstone, where Sunday’s British Grand Prix is being staged.

The movie is being made in collaboration with F1, and stars Pitt as a former driver returning to the sport with fictional team APXGP, alongside “Snowfall” actor Damson Idris as his teammate.

And what better place to film such a feature than Silverstone, famously the first circuit to ever host an F1 race in 1950. The fictional team will even have its own pit-stop at the track, and filming is due to take place amid this weekend’s British Grand Prix.

The fictional team will even have a space on the grid at Silverstone.

The Hollywood A-lister spent time at the race track in Towcester, Northamptonshire, on Thursday, and is expected to “race” an adapted Formula Two car prepared by Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes team, the UK’s PA Media reported.

While Pitt will be alone on the track for the filming, it is believed that computer generated imagery will be used to make it appear as if he is competing in this season’s grid, according to the news agency.

The film’s star-studded credits don’t end with Pitt: Directed by Joseph Kosinski, of “Top Gun: Maverick”, it is produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and Chad Oman. Dawn Apollo Films, launched by seven-time F1 champion Hamilton last year, is also involved.

“It’s massively exciting to see it all coming together,” Hamilton said at a press conference Thursday. “To know that we’re [filming] this weekend … There’s nerves, naturally, because it’s something we’ve been working on for so long.

Hamilton added that viewers can expect to feel immersed in the fast-paced sport, akin to how viewers would have experienced the latest “Top Gun,” which released last year.

“Joe is an incredible director … You already saw what he’s done with fighter jets, what he did with ‘Maverick,’ so if you just think about what he’s done with that in terms of the dogfights we saw on those jets, which was pretty epic.

“There’s so many people around the world that are so excited about this sport, wanting to learn more. The fact that we’ll have all the original characters that are actually on the grid, and then Brad, is pretty cool!” Hamilton added.

F1 released images of the fictional team’s black and gold car and livery this week, while Hamilton confirmed he had already taken a spin on a race track with Pitt.

“For someone that hasn’t raced, he’s definitely already got a keen eye. He loves watching MotoGP, so he’s always been a racing enthusiast. He already had a knack for the lines and he was fully, fully on it, which was good to see,” Hamilton added.

This isn’t the first time Pitt has starred in a movie about sports. He notably played the role of baseball team Oakland As’ general manager Billy Beane in the 2011 film “Moneyball.”

PP

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#89 Post by OneHungLow » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:05 pm

McLaren leads. My man Pastry, sorry Piastri 3rd.

Oh did I dream it? Verstappen is in the lead. Normal programming is resumed.

Interesting to see the helicopter picking up the drones below.

The cable cam looks interesting too.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#90 Post by OneHungLow » Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:21 pm

I am very impressed by Billy Monger's commentary.

As for the rest, a pretty dull race, although good to see McLaren back in the front 4.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#91 Post by OneHungLow » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:57 am

Having watched the race at Silverstone on TV yesterday, I couldn't help thinking that even the great Silverstone track, known for its fearsome high speed corners, like the old Woodcote (who can forget Jody Scheckter getting it wrong there in 1973), has been tamed, having been painted into a giant Tilkedrome, all racing done between painted white lines on a track with huge runoff areas, with slaps on the wrist for any naughty boy who puts his wheels over the line, with drivers incurring time penalties in place of disaster for those who transgress "track limits". The old track kept discipline because if you put your wheel on the grass you were off and on your way to a huge high speed shunt, and what an awesome place it was for all of that. It is still a high speed track but it has been neutered into something more like a glorified big boys go-kart track. It remains to be seen if corners like Eau Rouge at Spa survive much longer as well, not least with because of the fatal accident there recently.

Jody Scheckter getting it wrong at Silverstone's Woodcote corner in 1973.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#92 Post by OneHungLow » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:57 am

Shows the grass verges and the old days of sliding through high speed corners at Silverstone with Sir Jackie Stewart on the ragged edge.

Talking of Jackie Stewart I am glad to hear he is recovering well from his recent stroke and hope he makes a full recovery. It is rumoured that he was well enough to attend the British Grand Prix yesterday.

Talking of the British Grand Prix did anybody note the ludicrous performance of the National Anthem yesterday. More like an Elvis impersonator with a sax accompaniment, than God Save the King! I was so embarrassed I had to turn the sound down (and I don't embarrass easily).

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#93 Post by Karearea » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:21 am

OneHungLow wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:57 am
Shows the grass verges and the old days of sliding through high speed corners at Silverstone with Sir Jackie Stewart on the ragged edge.
Some well-remembered names in that clip! ^:)^
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#94 Post by tango15 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:05 am

I concur regarding the caterwauling version of the national anthem, sung by an actor. What the hell were they thinking of? I notice that since the septics got their hands on F1, more and more 'celebrities' are finding it necessary to feign interest in the sport.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Formula One - John Love

#95 Post by OneHungLow » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:04 am

Looking at the Jody Sheckter footage above I was apt to think what a pity it is that no South Africans are driving in F1 these days. Back in the halcyon days of the 60’s and 70’s there were a number of South African and Rhodesian drivers, most of whom contested the local F1 championship, and many who were competitors in the South African Grand Prix, and some in Europe, like Dave Charlton, Ian Scheckter et al, as well.

Formula One drivers from South Africa - Wikipedia

Of the people in that list noted above I am apt to think none were more unfortunate than Tony Maggs and Luki Botha, both talented drivers, Tony Maggs having had some European success as well, in that they lost heart after tragic accidents that killed spectators.

The story of Rhodesian (and thus not mentioned in the list in the link above), John Love, who came close to winning the South African Grand Prix in 1967, was heart breaking in the sense of his being thwarted by having to make a fuel stop while well ahead of the nearest competitor. He was said to have cried with frustration at the end of the race.

The day John Love almost became an F1 winner: 1967 South African GP

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#96 Post by OneHungLow » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:25 pm

tango15 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:05 am
I concur regarding the caterwauling version of the national anthem, sung by an actor. What the hell were they thinking of? I notice that since the septics got their hands on F1, more and more 'celebrities' are finding it necessary to feign interest in the sport.
This little imbroglio highlights your good point.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 72550.html
Cara Delevingne has addressed her decision to turn down an interview at the British Grand Prix.

The model and actor divided opinion after rejecting Sky Sports’ Formula One host Martin Brundle’s request for a chat on the grid walk on Sunday (9 July).

Brundle, who speaks to drivers, team principals and VIPs, often makes headlines for his attempts to speak to celebrities who attend the Grand Prix.

After spotting Delevingne, he approached to ask her some questions, but was instructed not to do so by a person whom he believed to be a member of her team.

In response, he said: “She doesn’t want to talk? But everybody needs to talk on the grid, that’s the deal now.” He then asked Delevingne for a “quick chat”, to which she said “no”, adding: “I can’t hear anything, sorry.”

Brundle, giving up, walked away and sarcastically said: “Oh well, I’m sure it would have been extremely interesting.”

While many voiced their disapproval of Delevingne’s actions, many of her fans supported her online. Delevingne herself responded to one such message of support, thanking them “for seeing both sides”.

She also explained why she rejected Brundle’s request for an interview, stating: “I was told to say no so I did.” Delevingne also said this instruction came from an “F1 representative” and not her agent.

Elsewhere at the Silverstone event, Ted Lasso star Hannah Waddingham appeared to make a loaded comment about Sir Lewis Hamilton.

Waddingham referred to British racing driver as an “eight-time champion”, despite Hamilton having only won the World Championship of Drivers seven times.

Delevingne added: “Anyway, I had so much fun today and was so happy to be there no matter what anyone else may think.”

In November 2021, F1 introduced a new rule dubbed the “Martin Brundle clause”, which obliges any celebrities on the starting grid to ditch their security entourage.

“There have been new rules introduced, that any celebrities on the grid must not have bodyguards any longer,” Brundle explained at the time. “It must be the ‘Brundle clause’, and they’re obliged to talk to me. I sort of like it if they ignore me, to be honest.”

Following Brundle’s comments about the new procedure, Formula 1 clarified to PlanetF1: “Celebrities aren’t obliged to do interviews whilst on the grid, but security entourages are now no longer allowed to accompany them on there.”

The rule was introduced after Brundle endured a farcical run-in with American rapper Meghan Thee Stallion, which went viral online after the “WAP” performer ignored Brundle’s questions. Her bodyguard then stepped in and pushed Brundle away.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#97 Post by OneHungLow » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:40 pm

Ronnie Peterson was awesome on fast tracks like Silverstone!

I highly recommend this Peterson documentary...

https://www.carlrasmussen.com/portfolio ... e-peterson

Read a review here...

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articl ... ng-to-win/

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#98 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:59 pm

OneHungLow wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:57 am

Talking of Jackie Stewart I am glad to hear he is recovering well from his recent stroke and hope he makes a full recovery. It is rumoured that he was well enough to attend the British Grand Prix yesterday.

Martin Brundle got a few words with him on the grid walk and he sounded OK.

PP

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#99 Post by OneHungLow » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:48 am

Just look at that 2CV go! Couple more horses than the standard Deux Chevaux I'll be bound! ;)))

Note that the 2CV's windscreen wipers don't flap in the wind either.

More formula none than one though!

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#100 Post by OneHungLow » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:36 am

Why Jay Leno has never bought a Ferrari.