Absent Friends

General Chit Chat
ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Absent Friends

#41 Post by ian16th » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:50 am

My experience of Hunters was limited to my time at Istres/Orange where we serviced transient a/c, we had none of our own.

What the visitors didn't know, is that it was a case of all hands to the pumps, literally, the fuel pumps. All trades did a/c handling, re-fueling and re-oiling. The appropriate tradesman was called when required.

I can remember putting Avpin in Hunters, but of course if they had a cartridge system, they wouldn't have asked for the Avpin to be checked.

It also was almost 60 years ago, so there is a slight possibility of memory fade.
Cynicism improves with age

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by John Hill » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:11 pm

For what it is worth the RR Avon we have in our shed is ex Hunter ex Netherlands/Jordan/Oman and has an isopropyl nitrate starter.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:10 am

Need to be very careful with Avon's and Avpin, John. Otherwise could well see your "shed" breaking the sound barrier with nobody upfront working the pedals.

:-bd

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by John Hill » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:41 am

The "shed" spends most of the time travelling around 735 mph.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by ian16th » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:10 pm

I understood that Avpin was virtually impossible to obtain, after the Indians stopped producing it.

But I'm usually wrong about these things.
Cynicism improves with age

Bob
Capt
Capt

#46 Post by Bob » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:21 pm

strangely I have an empty avon cartridge in me shed, use it as paint brush holder
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:25 am

Absent Friend ..... For those that knew of him I've just heard that Capt. Phil Brentnall has passed away aged 98 ( funeral 12th October, 2017 ) BOAC Flt. Trng. Manager.( various roles )

Introduced me to flying the Boeing 707 after 3 years sat in various Nav. seats ( from Stratocruiser on ) gave me a lot of encouragement and I can definitely say was responsible for my successfully completing a career in aviation.

RIP.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:24 am

On a sunny and cold Armistice Day, remembering those fresh faced youths who joined up with me so many years ago and who lost their lives whilst flying in the service of their country. Dave, Piers, Nick, ‘Bush’ and Mike – always remembered, never forgotten.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Caco's mom and brother...

#49 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:26 pm

She was the most intelligent woman I have known and he was the biggest bastard I miss as a brother to this day...
Caco mom.JPG
Caco mom.JPG (155.87 KiB) Viewed 3308 times

Caco

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by Magnus » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:48 am

Foss. I miss Foss, and wonder whether anyone on TOP ever archived his "dog's life" posts.

I was one of the many who tried to buy his book (and one of those who never received it). There was a big hoo-haa over the alleged ripoff, but as we all know, Graeme was fighting his demons and ultimately lost the fight. I'd like to see his ramblings about Daze (Daisy) brought together in one place.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:20 pm

Magnus wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:48 am
Foss. I miss Foss, and wonder whether anyone on TOP ever archived his "dog's life" posts.

I was one of the many who tried to buy his book (and one of those who never received it). There was a big hoo-haa over the alleged ripoff, but as we all know, Graeme was fighting his demons and ultimately lost the fight. I'd like to see his ramblings about Daze (Daisy) brought together in one place.
Whatever happened to his girlfriend who used to post on TOP?

Caco

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#52 Post by Stoneboat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:48 pm

Whatever happened to his girlfriend who used to post on TOP?
She is alive and well and was recently married. We've been friends on the book of faces for years. I think she may even be a member of this board, I seem to remember her posting a few replies on one of my quizzes. She was a regular contributor on the old board that was run by Acebaby and Timcat.

For those that knew him, I have also heard that John Farley has passed.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:28 pm

G-CPTN posted this on the Aretha thread:
G-CPTN wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:31 pm
I always think that it's a shame that the departed cannot attend their final curtain call - it would mean so much to the mourners, and, no doubt, the departed too.
That reminded me of an ex-RN pilot mate who developed throat cancer through constantly smoking his infernal pipe. He knew it was terminal and he had but two wishes, the first that he lasted long enough to walk his daughter down the aisle on the occasion of her marriage and the second was that he wanted his wake to happen whilst he was still alive so he could meet all his friends for the final time.

He achieved the first but just failed with the second. It's the only funeral tea I've been to where champagne was quaffed in large quantities.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:06 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:28 pm
G-CPTN posted this on the Aretha thread:
G-CPTN wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:31 pm
I always think that it's a shame that the departed cannot attend their final curtain call - it would mean so much to the mourners, and, no doubt, the departed too.
That reminded me of an ex-RN pilot mate who developed throat cancer through constantly smoking his infernal pipe. He knew it was terminal and he had but two wishes, the first that he lasted long enough to walk his daughter down the aisle on the occasion of her marriage and the second was that he wanted his wake to happen whilst he was still alive so he could meet all his friends for the final time.

He achieved the first but just failed with the second. It's the only funeral tea I've been to where champagne was quaffed in large quantities.

I don't know how many here have read Spike Milligan's Puckoon, but when I die I want a wake like the one he describes, where the deceased rolls out of the coffin during the festivities and his pals are trying to wake him for another drink the following morning. :-bd

Anyway enough of this talk of funerals as I have an entry in my calendar for your 95 birthday C16 so no sloping off for either of us just yet eh!

Caco

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#55 Post by Stoneboat » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:34 am

For those that knew her, Suzi Stockton Caudell died three weeks ago. Suzi was the widow of Alec Caudell, whom we knew as Con Pilot.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:41 am

Stoneboat wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:34 am
For those that knew her, Suzi Stockton Caudell died three weeks ago. Suzi was the widow of Alec Caudell, whom we knew as Con Pilot.
Sorry to hear that Stoneboat.

I remember reading of their holiday to Ireland together with great interest. I am glad she got to see the land of her ancestors before passing on.

Caco

cockney steve
CPL
CPL

#57 Post by cockney steve » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:19 pm

Danny 42C, has departed the "gaining a Pilot's Brevet" thread on TOP's Military sub-forum.

Apparently he was lucid to the end and faded quietly in his sleep. Never met him but he posted great yarns of his Aviation life and will be sorely missed....lots of tributes on TOP.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:42 pm

When you gotta go, you gotta go . . .
Danny was obviously needed elsewhere.

RIP

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:58 am

Where is Fox3 and his banana. Trust he hasn't managed to down himself with his own missile! He was always a good, interesting poster and this denizen of this place misses his posts. One hopes that he will take time out from doing whatever he is doing and post here again.

The other person noted as missing in action is Angels? Where is he? How is he? How is his wife?

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#60 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:04 am

Cacophonix wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:58 am
Where is Fox3 and his banana. Trust he hasn't managed to down himself with his own missile! He was always a good, interesting poster and this denizen of this place misses his posts. One hopes that he will take time out from doing whatever he is doing and post here again.

The other person noted as missing in action is Angels? Where is he? How is he? How is his wife?

Caco
Not sure about F3 but TB will know. I do have his e-mail address. Angels is fine as I think is his wife.

Not missing because posting on TOP but wish we could get Bluey over here.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.