Anyone ever had kidney stones?

General Chit Chat
rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Anyone ever had kidney stones?

#1 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:34 am

If you've had kidney stones, can you let me know the symptoms please? For a few days now I've had excruciating lower back pain which radiates laterally. Even sitting for long periods of time becomes painful. Standing, on the other hand, is fine. Also my errrrr, urine flow, is not quite normal either. (No stream for you buddy!!!!!) Is it supposed to be this painful????

Any suggestions on how best to deal with this, aside from visiting the doctor? (Which I'd prefer not to do. Yet.)
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

limeygal
Capt
Capt

Re: Anyone ever had kidney stones?

#2 Post by limeygal » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:03 pm

Yes it is very painful-go to a doctor now!! :YMHUG:

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:16 pm

limeygal wrote:Yes it is very painful-go to a doctor now!! :YMHUG:

Why? :D

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by Stoneboat » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:35 pm

Why?

They gotta come out one way or the other. They can be broken down to the consistency of fine sand using sound waves. That is what my b-I-l had done, and he said it still felt like he was pissin' gravel. I knew a lady who had 'em. She said passing a ks was more painful than birthing and a male friend said he was pissing blood for a week after passing one.

One evening a young nurse came rushing back to the aid station and breathlessly told the head nurse "There's some guy in room 304 who's gone nuts. He's laying there in the dark singing "A tsiket a tasket a little yellow basket."

Her curiosity piqued, the head honcho hustled down the hall to 304 and entered the room. Two minutes later she was back at the station, laughing her head off. "He's not nuts" she explained. "That's Mr. Steinberg. He was scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning to remove a kidney stone. He's passed it, and now he's singing "I pissed it, I passed it, and I'm a lucky bastid."

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:41 pm

limeygal has given very sensible advice. Go and see a DOCTOR anything that could involve your kidneys should be diagnosed and treated by a doctor who can poke and prod you and make a proper diagnosis :ymdevil: :YMHUG: Also, bear in mind that if you have stones, they can be anywhere between your kidneys and bladder. Give your doctor some work. :YMHUG:
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by OFSO » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:11 pm

1) Yes, OFSO has had them. So has Mrs OFSO. They make you feel wretched and depressed.

2) The flow of urine isn't blocked, lots more small vessels carry it past the obstruction.

3) Folk cure: drink two bottles of champagne and sit in a very hot bath, as hot as you can take it, for an hour. The heat distends the very narrow vessels carrying urine in the kidney and the champage provides the pressure. With any luck this will blast the stone out of the kidney and into the bladder. The urether is wider so the stone is unlikely to get stuck.

4) You may not see the stone come out of your penis when you go to pee, but you will probably see a lot of blood. Don't worry, it's normal. It will stop sooner or later.

Both Mr and Mrs OFSO have gone thru this procedure, except the wife, being allergic to champagne, used two bottles of fizzy water. In both cases it cleared the stone.

they can be anywhere between your kidneys and bladder.

No. The only places they will become lodged are in the kidney or in the urether between the bladder and the opening to the outside world. In the kidney only very painful, on the urether, excruciating. the former is common, the latter far less so.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:22 pm

OFSO wrote:1) Yes, OFSO has had them. So has Mrs OFSO. They make you feel wretched and depressed.

2) The flow of urine isn't blocked, lots more small vessels carry it past the obstruction.

3) Folk cure: drink two bottles of champagne and sit in a very hot bath, as hot as you can take it, for an hour. The heat distends the very narrow vessels carrying urine in the kidney and the champage provides the pressure. With any luck this will blast the stone out of the kidney and into the bladder. The urether is wider so the stone is unlikely to get stuck.

4) You may not see the stone come out of your penis when you go to pee, but you will probably see a lot of blood. Don't worry, it's normal. It will stop sooner or later.

Both Mr and Mrs OFSO have gone thru this procedure, except the wife, being allergic to champagne, used two bottles of fizzy water. In both cases it cleared the stone.

they can be anywhere between your kidneys and bladder.

No. The only places they will become lodged are in the kidney or in the urether between the bladder and the opening to the outside world. In the kidney only very painful, on the urether, excruciating. the former is common, the latter far less so.

re: Folk cure. OFSO, if I drank two bottles of champagne and sat in a steaming hot bath for an hour I wouldn't have to worry about kidney stones any longer as I would undoubtedly be dead. :D :D

Cpt_Pugwash
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by Cpt_Pugwash » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:54 pm

Yes, RGB, I have had one episode (so far).

Started off with a generalised lower back pain for a few days, then one Saturday evening felt really unwell, but after a nights rest all seemed fine. Come the Tuesday week, woke at 3 in the morning with an urgent need to pee, but having got to the facilities, very little action , and the pain on the lower right hand side became increasingly agonizing. Spent the rest of the night standing over the pot as that seemed to marginally reduce the pain.
Eventually, managed to pass some fluid and having some idea of the possible issue, caught a sample. Although I had no appointment, I presented myself to the the local hospital where the doc took one look at the sample and confirmed it was probably a kidney stone.

Told to keep drinking lots of water, and was booked for a scan quite promptly. That confirmed a 7mm object in the urethra, with two much smaller items which I was told maybe attached to skins tags and may or may not subsequently break off.
Again told to keep up the fluid intake and scheduled for possible ultrasound disruption. However luckily the object passed naturally, and was recovered and delivered to the consultant for analysis. Apparently there are a number of different materials which make up kidney stones.
Never did hear back what mine was.

I would concur with previous advice, get to see your doctor soonest.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by boing » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:00 pm

I've passed stones twice. On one occasion I had symptoms close to yours, no pain lying down but quite uncomfortable a short while after standing up. Both times the doctor gave pain-killer pills and said the stone would pass eventually and I was to come back for a visit if the problem did not go away after a couple of days. In the case of the pain that occurred standing up I eventually made myself walk around because it seemed as if the stone would not move if I was lying down so I had to stand up and move around to help it work its way out.

Neither occasion did I take the pills although I was prepared to if the pain got too bad. It hurt but not as badly as I had been led to believe it would. Perhaps I was lucky. Since my pilot's license was effected I had to prove somehow that the stone had really gone away so I had to pee into little mesh cones to trap it. On one occasion we found it but not the other time.

You will probably almost be able to follow the movement of the stone from the kidney until it departs.
the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

ribrash

#10 Post by ribrash » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:04 pm

Get to the doctor as soon as.Otherwise you may have the camera which looks far to big for where they want to poke it,and it won't be there for taking selfies....

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:06 pm

ribrash wrote:Get to the doctor as soon as.Otherwise you may have the camera which looks far to big for where they want to poke it,and it won't be there for taking selfies....

Not for selfies? For a portrait then? :D

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by OFSO » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:42 pm

I would undoubtedly be dead.

OMG, you AMERICANS ! My, my.

OK, try coca cola or any fizzy drink. It's the bath that has to be hot. Really I am not pulling your pisser. It works. Incidentally I was told if you get one stone you can get another, but so far.........

I have just been reminded that the old Jewish method for ensuring your wife conceives a boy-child also works on kidney stones. This is jumping down the stairs, one step at a time (or two for twins). If you've done the hot bath bit, it shakes the stones lose.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by OFSO » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:56 pm

Now when you have rid yourself of one of these little jobbies, you really do feel happy and contented ! And yes, it was inside me for a few years...

19downbubble
Snr FO
Snr FO

#14 Post by 19downbubble » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:27 pm

Argh!!
But apparently Made In England, so that's something to be proud of. And it's nice you named it.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:28 pm

Holy kidney stone, OFSO. You have such big.... well... kidney stones. That one surely could not have come out the pisser, I pray?

frostbite
Capt
Capt

#16 Post by frostbite » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:51 pm

I can't recall the detail but I heard that drinking Cranberry Juice can be beneficial in the plumbing department.
Old enough to know better.

obgraham
Capt
Capt

#17 Post by obgraham » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:24 pm

You need to be doctored, RGB. Soon. This is what urologists do for a living when they get bored with prostates.

Unpassed stones can lead to kidney damage, in addition to being mighty painful.

And you need to find out the type of stone, as some stone formation can be prevented.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:36 pm

obgraham wrote:You need to be doctored, RGB. Soon. This is what urologists do for a living when they get bored with prostates.

Unpassed stones can lead to kidney damage, in addition to being mighty painful.

And you need to find out the type of stone, as some stone formation can be prevented.

Yessir. Coming from someone of your stature I shall make an appointment with my physician forthwith. Thanks!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by OFSO » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:13 pm

Unpassed stones can lead to kidney damage

However, while not disagreeing with that, my doctor did say it's better to give them a chance to be passed naturally first. The various methods of breaking a stone up in situ are also not without risk, I seem to remember.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by OFSO » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:19 pm

That one surely could not have come out the pisser, I pray?

i only put it there to frighten you ! In fact its a gallstone which I had for thirty years. Since it was causing no trouble, being too big to wedge itself in the bile duct, nor did it have any sharp edges, the plan was to leave it in place; however the local Clinica had a 'special' on keyhole surgery, two for the price of one and Dr Narcis whipped it out in no time at all.