Fly Africa Website Suspended

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Fly Africa Website Suspended

#1 Post by OFSO » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:55 pm

Does anybody with links to SA know what's happened to the Fly Africa website ?

http://www.flyafrica.info/cgi-sys/suspe ... c5aa150cd1

Capetonian

Re: Fly Africa Website Suspended

#2 Post by Capetonian » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:08 pm

I am in South Africa, get the same response, have no way of contacting anyone who uses the site. I can only assume that they've run out of $$$$ but there was no warning of any sort.

More Aviation

#3 Post by More Aviation » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:43 pm

I have taken the liberty of contacting Cassie Nel (aka iGunship) to ask what the state of play is ref. the site. I hope he is well too.

I know they had a bit of a financial blip about a year and half ago and I was happy to send some Rands their way to help out and hope they didn't go the same way this time without letting their membership know they were in the mire. FlyAfrica is\was a very good aviation site.

I will post a note here, if and when, I get a reply from the Wilderness.

MA

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by A Lutra Continua » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:23 pm

Ah.

So it wasn't just me getting my winkie smacked for being a bad little monkey then...

More Aviation

#5 Post by More Aviation » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:41 pm

I see that FlyAfrica's absence has been noted at TOP.

Other comment on FA absence

I endorse TOP's über-mod's opinion and good wishes. Has he gone all soft and cuddly of late?

MA

admin
Chief Engineer

#6 Post by admin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:31 am

I've noticed a resurgence in visits from members who registered early when we started up and then chose not to return. If there are any such reading this they are more than welcome to join us on a permanent basis.

Alison

Heli
CPL
CPL

#7 Post by Heli » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:20 am

Fly Africa have folded due to costs.

Capetonian

#8 Post by Capetonian » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:02 am

I am sorry to learn that. It's a pity they didn't make a little more noise about the impending crisis and ask for donations.
Good luck and thanks to all involved.

admin
Chief Engineer

#9 Post by admin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:47 am

Fly Africa members are more than welcome here. If anyone is in contact with any of them.

Don't understand the costs issue though. I pick up the tab for our site, and have never found it particularly onerous. The site software is public domain, and free. Just need to be sufficiently cluey as support is minimal. I won't be renewing the registration of a few of the extra domain names I registered a year back - av-gas, notams, etc. Other than that please Carry On regardless.

Alison
PS. What can rack up costs is if they chose to go with some proprietary software. Annual licences fees can be quite steep.

More Aviation

#10 Post by More Aviation » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:25 am

admin wrote:Fly Africa members are more than welcome here. If anyone is in contact with any of them.

Don't understand the costs issue though. I pick up the tab for our site, and have never found it particularly onerous. The site software is public domain, and free. Just need to be sufficiently cluey as support is minimal. I won't be renewing the registration of a few of the extra domain names I registered a year back - av-gas, notams, etc. Other than that please Carry On regardless.

Alison
PS. What can rack up costs is if they chose to go with some proprietary software. Annual licences fees can be quite steep.

Alison, I do know that Fly Africa used proprietary software and that their hosting site costs in the US seemed to steep given the figures I was made aware of them when they hit turbulence the last time.

I am really sorry that they have just crashed without a word this time as I would have been willing to put in enough funds for a holding pattern... (serendipity) just as I post this Cassie Nel has e-mailed me... I am sure he wouldn't mind me putting part of his positive message here. Alison I hope you are OK with this?

Dear Michael
I am so sorry that I did not have contact details to advise you of the closure.
It is widely known on Facebook that I closed the site on Sunday, so sincere apologies for not letting you all know.
In short - I have been sponsoring the site for 12 years and people (like you) have kept the site running for a few months a year.
Sadly my main sponsors ( web banners) seems to always run into problems and corresponding non payments.
I am in talks with three major role players in the aviation business and especially the one will most probably be the best suited for Flyafrica and for him.
I will keep you updated but I have a good feeling that we will be up and running before the weekend.

MA

More Aviation

#11 Post by More Aviation » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:20 am

New site is up and running at the same url

www.flyafrica.info

MA