Tehran Building Collapse

General Chit Chat
Cacophonix

Tehran Building Collapse

#1 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:58 pm

Shocking footage is emerging of a 17 story building collapsing with significant loss of life in Tehran after a severe fire.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/19/middl ... index.html

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPGr4D1-zDI[/bbvideo]

Caco

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Tehran Building Collapse

#2 Post by Karearea » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:27 pm

Seen that on BBC, appalling, very sad.
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

603DX
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by 603DX » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:25 pm

Dramatic pictures of the collapsed "Plasco" building are included in this link:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2651561/s ... e-injured/

There are wide variations in the quoted numbers of casualties, not unusual in the early stages of such tragic happenings. The structure seemed to be basically steel-framed, with little (if any) fire resistant coatings or protective concrete cladding of the steelwork visible in the debris. If the claims that fire extinguishers/sprinklers were deficient or absent are correct, and that the city authorities notified the building's owners but nothing was done about this, then the sad results may have been inevitable. It might be providential that it lasted over 50 years, if the flouting of established fire safety regulations was as bad as reported.

It was not unusual for public buildings built in Iran in the same period to be of a poor standard. In December 1974 the roof of the passenger terminal building at Tehran airport collapsed with many deaths and injuries. After an inspection by a reputable British firm of consulting engineers, it was reported that insufficient roof imposed loading allowances had been made for snow loadings, the roof's asphalt thickness had been considerably increased in attempts to cure rainwater leakage (thus increasing the total dead weight), and there were serious defects in the connections of the main steel roof trusses. In other words, the structural design, the steelwork fabrication, and the building maintenance were all deficient. An accident waiting to happen ... :-q

Capetonian

#4 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:44 pm

It is very sad but rather typical of that part of the world, and made worse by sanctions I suspect. When I was in Tehran a few years ago I was shocked by the standard of driving and the condition of some of the taxis I had to use.

I had one driver who only had one eye. In one of the taxis the floor in the front passenger footwell had rotted or rusted away and was covered by a couple of bits of hardboard, with the hot leaky smoking exhaust running underneath. Those were the worst two but the majority were little better.

Cacophonix

#5 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:25 pm

Let's hope that the Iran Air Boeing deal is allowed to go through because the current fleet of second hand A310's, 320's, 737's and 747's was running at the margins of safety due to sanctions.

I remember seeing some of their aircraft refuelling at Manston back in the day

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2016-12-11- ... -Airplanes

Caco

Cacophonix

#6 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Let's hope that the Iran Air Boeing deal is allowed to go through because the current fleet of second hand A310's, 320's, 737's and 747's was running at the margins of safety due to sanctions. In fact I not even sure if the Boeing aircraft are currently airworthy.

I remember seeing some of their aircraft refuelling at Manston back in the day

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2016-12-11- ... -Airplanes

Caco

BackToAllNightLights
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by BackToAllNightLights » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:56 am

Let's hope that the Iran Air Boeing deal is allowed to go through

It will, of course be interesting to see what Trump's take on Iran will be. Don't think he particularly likes them.
History does Not repeat itself through time. It does however, sometimes rhyme.

Capetonian

#8 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:11 am

I think he might be a smart enough to realise that if he gets them on his side they are a force for good. The government is changing its stance, although it's still hard line Islamist, but the Iranians are wonderful people.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by 500N » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:24 am

I would have been living in Iran - as opposed to Aus - if the revolution hadn't occurred.

Company my father worked for was building a plant there. He had many trips in and out and
of course brought back many delicacies which in the 70's weren't available in Birmingham :D

Cacophonix

#10 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:51 am

Ayatollah 500N! The mind boggles! Thank the Lord it didn't happen. ;)

Allahu Akbar (or something like that)! The Iranians being Persians might not say the same.

but the Iranians are wonderful people.

They are indeed. Friendly, courteous and often very well educated. We would do better to attempt good relations with the country despite Israel's attempts to counter this notion.

Caco