SCAMMERS !

General Chit Chat
Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: SCAMMERS !

#761 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:17 am

Well this is a new one, mattresses of all things; https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -nightmare :ymsick:
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#762 Post by Boac » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:53 am

Don't take that lying down.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#763 Post by OFSO » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:07 am

The reason why I was there has long faded from what passes for my memory, but years ago in California I visited a store selling unwanted clothing. I still shudder when contemplating the state the clothing was in. And the smell. Have not visited such establishments in the UK but in Spain nothing is accepted unless freshly laundered or dry cleaned. I see mattresses dumped by the Bins in Spain, though. Would need a biohazard suit before approaching most of them.

Capetonian

#764 Post by Capetonian » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:16 pm

Really, the manners of scammers these days
By Warwick McFadyen
February 22, 2020 — 11.00pm

Good afternoon sir, How are you?

And before I provide an answer as to my health and view of the world on this humid summer’s afternoon, he continues. I am from the NBN, and I am here to tell you that you are able to claim a refund from the NBN.

And it is here I interrupt to point out to the polite youngish-sounding man at the other end of the line, and probably the other end of the world, that it is not NBN policy to ring individuals out of the blue. They are a wholesaler, and hence, there is a middleman or woman, the internet provider, between them and me. Did he not know that, seeing as how he works for them?

I’m sorry sir but I don’t think you are listening, if you will allow me to finish, the NBN has found that you are owed a refund.

At which point it seems we have begun a game of duelling interruptions, just roll out the banjo solo from Deliverance, slowly, slowly, and then the conversation starts rollicking along.

I’d like to continue this chat but I’ve better things to do, I’m sure you understand.

But sir you are not listening. There is a refund involved. A refund.

Yes I am. You say you are from somewhere that you are not, indeed you are someone you are not, that being so, for logic follows, this conversation in the real world cannot be occurring. Perhaps you’re a metaphysician, come to give me a refund of the state of the universe? (I know I’ve stretched a point to make a point, I couldn’t help it.)

By which point the banjo was starting to smoulder, I could smell it in his tone.

I think we have had enough of your insolent joking sir. Now if you would be good enough to let me finish.

It wasn’t so much the joking I minded from my non-existent (in theory) friend chiding me that brought the crescendo, but the use of the word insolent. How dare he? I put the phone on the table (which is my version of a crescendo) whereupon his harping about insolent joking seemed even less real, squeaking as it was, like a voice from an old transistor radio.

I thought, here’s a joke: I pretended (since this really what this was if you take the bastardry of the attempted scam out of the equation) that other people in the room were in on the conversation.

And then silence from his end descended. I could hear a tiny voice struggling to reach my ears, Are you there, are you there, is anyone there? Enough of your insolence. Don’t you want a refund from the NBN?

I kept my silence. And then came this: Are you there insolent motherf----er? And he hung up.

Really, the manners of scammers these days.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#765 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:22 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:16 pm
Are you there insolent motherf----er?
Which proves that the whole thing was a scam.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#766 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:47 pm

HMRC, as I am a valued customer needs to refund £680 to me. Prats. The website names are Indian and none of the page links work.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#767 Post by OFSO » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:18 pm

DVLR have just sent me an SMS saying I have a vehicle licence duty refund of sixty something pounds. Last UK car I owned was in 1995. Bit slow, are they not...

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#768 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:23 pm

Apparently, I am informed by my son in law, that they make these scams so obviously fake deliberately. This acts as a filter to filter out those with a double figure IQ and leave only the gullible, idiotically optimistic and terminally stupid.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#769 Post by OFSO » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:41 pm

YOU MEAN THE SMS I RECEIVED WAS A FAKE ? Whoops, stuck on caps there....

Capetonian

#770 Post by Capetonian » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:38 pm

I received this last night in an email :
Welcome to ESPN+
START STREAMING
Order Summary
PURCHASE
ESPN Plus Monthly Base
DATE ORDERED
Feb 25, 2020
NEXT BILLING DATE
Mar 25, 2020
AMOUNT
$4.99 (per month)
I had no idea what ESPN+ is (USA sports channel) but it looked as if someone had taken out a subscription to it in my name. I contacted them via their 'chat line' and, in resume, they told me that a new account in my name was extant. I asked what card it had been charged to, dreading that one of my cards had been cloned and thinking that this might just be a 'test' purchase before the fraudster goes on to something bigger.

They gave me the last 4 digits of the card and it did not appear to match any of my dozen or so different cards. I have concluded that it was probably an error, someone making a minor typo in their own email address so that it happened to coincide with mine. As the account would obviously be of no use to them, or me, I asked ESPN to cancel it, which they did.

A bit odd but apparently not a scam. I will be watching my statements even more carefully than usual.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#771 Post by Wodrick » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:02 pm

I can't decide, I have had two now from BT announcing that they are blocking my e mail account #########@btinternet.com. I'm treating them as spam due to there being errors in the addresses and my accounts still work, well as much as they ever do.
anybody else ?
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Something worth watching

#772 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:44 am

There's the prospect of some interesting footage on tonight's 'Panorama' at 20.30.

Someone who posts on Yewtewb under the name 'Jim Browning' has passed some of his stuff onto the BBC. He's hacked into the scammers who operate in India.

I've watched some of his videos and they do cause a lot of amusement when the scammers realise that the tables have been turned on them and they can only watch as he deletes all their files.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#773 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:08 am

As we know, ADMIN has a problem with emails. I just received the following:

Incoming Mails On Hold

Your seven (7) incoming mails have been placed on hold due to recent upgrade on our server.

Follow the below link to update your settings and receive all your pending mails.

Update Your Account Now

YOU WILL LOSE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IF YOU DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT. UPGRADE IS FREE OFF CHARGE.

All Rights Reserved
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the second email I have had today, the other was from out bank, on subjects I was expecting. They might have got lucky twice.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#774 Post by ian16th » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:11 am

I frequently get such scam e-mails purportedly from my ISP, ignore them all.

A reasonable guide to all of these scams is the use of your e-mail address rather than your name.

Your e-mail address is simple to 'harvest', your real name not impossible, but somewhat less so.

If the e-mail is addressed to Dear Joe Bloggs, it may be genuine.
If it is addressed to jbloggs@isp001.com it is probably harvested.

Always us discretion, and never open an attachment that arrives unexpectedly and/or unsolicited.
Cynicism improves with age

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#775 Post by ian16th » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:20 am

Just checked my e-mail and found this:
Dear Sir,

Greetings of the day from National General Insurance (PJSC)…

Hope you are having a great day...

From Motor Policies to Medical, From General insurance and even Credit Insurance (against your PDC Cheques) to any insurable risk, we cover it all…

NGI’s reputation in the market and settling claims is unchallengeable!

We are looking for new prospects and hereby would suggest you to get your quotes from us too!

Looking forward to hear from you!

Ahmed Raza

Business Development Executive

National General Insurance Company (P.J.S.C)

Office # 06, Mezannine Floor, Al Wadi Building , Sheikh Zayed Road
P.O Box 154, Dubai - UAE

Tel: +971 4 3439765|Mob: 050-9536071| Email: ahmedraza@ngiuae.com

Fax: +971 4 3439874| Website: www.ngi.ae

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and compliance.
With a PDF file attached!

They never give up.
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#776 Post by OFSO » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:09 pm

Hey, I have insurance with them. Good guys. Highly recommended.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#777 Post by llondel » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:18 pm

ian16th wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:11 am
I frequently get such scam e-mails purportedly from my ISP, ignore them all.
It helps that I run my own mail server, so anything like that is clearly a scam, seeing as I don't send myself emails announcing upgrades and changes.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#778 Post by Woody » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:20 pm

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#779 Post by Boac » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:33 pm

I have a slightly different problem. I invited the Asian lady trying to persuade me that my cavity-wall insulation needed attention to roll the insulation up really tight and stick it up her 'smelly cavity'. Gave me a great feeling of well-being, but since then the number of 'nuisance' calls (mostly about Amazon renewals) and one about a washing machine maintenance contract have accelerated. I am now convinced I am on the target list of an angry Asian 'female' with a smelly............. :-)

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#780 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:16 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:33 pm
I have a slightly different problem. I invited the Asian lady trying to persuade me that my cavity-wall insulation needed attention to roll the insulation up really tight and stick it up her 'smelly cavity'. Gave me a great feeling of well-being, but since then the number of 'nuisance' calls (mostly about Amazon renewals) and one about a washing machine maintenance contract have accelerated. I am now convinced I am on the target list of an angry Asian 'female' with a smelly............. :-)
Indeed - it doesn't pay to offend the scammers - who have unlimited opportunities to call you frequently and at any time of day or night.