SCAMMERS !

General Chit Chat
ribrash

Re: SCAMMERS !

#1321 Post by ribrash » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:25 pm

I must be on the scammers ignore list like I am on here.I never get any scummy emails or phone calls.Mind you I'm still using Windows XP. :-bd

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1322 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:38 am

I was getting about two scam SMS per day until about three weeks ago when in a fit of anger, I sent a reply sms to one indicating that I knew the sender was a scammer, implying that they were a certain piece of Female human anatomy and invited them to indulge in some sexual activity and travel! X( ~X( And blocked the number as usual.

Haven't had one since! :-?
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1323 Post by OFSO » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:31 pm

I'm using a schizo WIN XP (SSD) married to a Linux Mint (rotating disc). Two systems in one box, plus an earlier XP acting as a little brother on another flywheel. I put this together years ago using bits from Maplin in Totty Court Road, I didn't keep any records and can't remember trivialities such as Drive Letters. When I open the box to clean all the fans, there's loops and hoops of interconnecting cables but I try not to look. Colour codes anyone? I suspect the Linux is spamming the XP but as they are hardly talking to each other, let alone me, I don't know. Possibly in one of the many "My Documents" floating about the Desktop.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1324 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:24 am

Just got a text message saying that (one of my) bank debit cards had been deactivated. ~X(
Link to contact was a dot UK website. [-X
Text from NY area code.

PP

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1325 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:01 pm

Knock on the door today by a bloke trying to sell some orthopaedic mattresses left over from an order. Smelt a rodent so declined. Noticed he was going to other houses trying the same.

Made a note of his vehicle's registration and passed it on to Trading Standards who confirmed it's a well known scam for selling dodgy, sub-standard products which fail to meet fire safety standards. TS very pleased they now have a vehicle reg to pursue.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1326 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:57 pm

Anyone else met, when out walking in London, the chap who pulls over in his car asking the way to Heathrow? He's been working for a top Italian clothing firm, contract expired, happens to have the rear of the car full of silk shirts, would I be interested?

I met him twice in the space of six months, in the same area, still looking for Heathrow... A pleasant enough gentleman.

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1327 Post by Opsboi » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:06 pm

OFSO wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:57 pm
Anyone else met, when out walking in London, the chap who pulls over in his car asking the way to Heathrow? He's been working for a top Italian clothing firm, contract expired, happens to have the rear of the car full of silk shirts, would I be interested?

I met him twice in the space of six months, in the same area, still looking for Heathrow... A pleasant enough gentleman.
No, but I met his colleague from the leather jacket department in the car park of a service station on the M40...he was looking for Gatwick

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1328 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:43 pm

Opsboi wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:06 pm
No, but I met his colleague from the leather jacket department
Had similar encounter about ten years ago.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1329 Post by llondel » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:03 am

I got this today on FB, complete with an email address in a separate message. Of course, the fact that I don't do Hangout and don't have a public-facing gmail address doesn't help either. There's one attached to my phone, but that's all I use it for. This is someone claiming to be in Ireland.
Although we just met, with the step of trust and willingness to begin this friendship, I request you give me your gmail so I can add you on Hangout so that we can chat some other time after now. I don’t have access to Facebook due to network signal here and it’s highly prohibited

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1330 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:45 am

Re my post #1322; Another week gone and still no further scam sms received.

Really beginning to wonder if my blast at the previous one worked. However, the Lady formerly known as Mrs Pinky hasn't received any for some time either so..... :-?
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1331 Post by Hydromet » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:49 am

Pinky the pilot wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:45 am
Re my post #1322; Another week gone and still no further scam sms received.

Really beginning to wonder if my blast at the previous one worked. However, the Lady formerly known as Mrs Pinky hasn't received any for some time either so..... :-?
They seem to be like busses - none for ages, then a bunch of them arrive. I think it's because every time a new dill buys the list, everyone on it gets called...several times.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1332 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:36 pm

llondel wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:03 am
I got this today on FB, complete with an email address in a separate message. Of course, the fact that I don't do Hangout and don't have a public-facing gmail address doesn't help either. There's one attached to my phone, but that's all I use it for. This is someone claiming to be in Ireland.
Although we just met, with the step of trust and willingness to begin this friendship, I request you give me your gmail so I can add you on Hangout so that we can chat some other time after now. I don’t have access to Facebook due to network signal here and it’s highly prohibited
Well which is it, make your mind up, no signal or prohibited?

😁

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1333 Post by Karearea » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:17 pm

Received an email today from my old friend 'Louis Vuitton' :))
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1334 Post by Woody » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:09 am

Karearea wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:17 pm
Received an email today from my old friend 'Louis Vuitton' :))
I bet that he’s a case =))
When all else fails, read the instructions.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1335 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:17 am

Received this email today. Funny that Royal Mail are using an email address of a garden centre in Kidderminster.....
RM scam.jpg
RM scam.jpg (95.12 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#1336 Post by Dushan » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:35 pm

OFSO wrote:

I met him in Toronto a few years ago. He even had a Harry Rosen (high end men’s clothing store) business card.
He was looking for Pearson, not Heathrow, though.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1337 Post by Woody » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:45 pm

OFSO wrote:

When I met him, he had his sister with him, she’d been modelling the clothes , being a gentleman I offered to look after her whilst he sorted out their travel plans, learned quite a few Italian swear words :ymdevil:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1338 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:32 pm

Mrs PN came in, had I seen the article about Martin Lewis recommending we buy $250 of bitcode TODAY before the price goes up. It was on the BBC website.

When I said it was a scam, she said what about Holly Willoughby then.

I pointed her a fullfact.Org and also the Holly one was July last year.

Basically, if someone has implicit belief in an expert, in a celebrity, a Dragon, then they are halfway hooked already.

I saw an offer from Trading Standards, first N people to reply would get a shopping bag. I did "if it sounds to good to be true....."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Anglo Australians... Australian Anglos!

#1339 Post by OFSO » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:58 am

An excellent letter/answer in the ST's money pages today. Someone who has been scammed out of £200,000 wants to borrow another £6,000 to pay to a firm who contacted her and can recover some or all of her money. She's obviously on a sucker list. Her bank has blocked her and she's furious.
I have a friend like that. Defrauded many times, then contacted out of the blue by an organisation founded to recover his money from the earlier scans. I tried to tell him it's another scam, but he would not believe it. Otherwise he's a sane, intelligent person. Like drugs or alcohol addition, hopeless trying to help.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Anglo Australians... Australian Anglos!

#1340 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:42 am

OFSO wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:58 am
An excellent letter/answer in the ST's money pages today. Someone who has been scammed out of £200,000 wants to borrow another £6,000 to pay to a firm who contacted her and can recover some or all of her money. She's obviously on a sucker list. Her bank has blocked her and she's furious.
I have a friend like that. Defrauded many times, then contacted out of the blue by an organisation founded to recover his money from the earlier scans. I tried to tell him it's another scam, but he would not believe it. Otherwise he's a sane, intelligent person. Like drugs or alcohol addition, hopeless trying to help.
I assume you intended to post this tale of perfidy on the Scammers thread OFSO? ;)))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.