General Chit Chat
Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: SCAMMERS !

#1261 Post by Pinky the pilot » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:02 am

NFI. I didn't click on the link.

Struth.. I'm not that silly!!!
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1262 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:48 pm

I had a scam email to me with a client number. The hidden URL was Microsoft. Left it for GCHQ and Spam Cop to sort out.

I don't open them but open the hidden part of the messages and send the whole package on

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1263 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:26 pm

My Wireless Carrier :-o ~X( :(( :-s

T-Mobile confirms data breach was caused by SIM-swapping attack

By Sead Fadilpašić published 3 days ago

Data breach targeted "small number" of T-Mobile customers

https://www.techradar.com/news/t-mobile ... ing-attack

A “very small group” of T-Mobile customers in the United States fell victim to a SIM-swapping attack, the telecoms operator has confirmed.

In a statement, the company said affected customers were notified of the attack, and the company acted quickly to mitigate the threat.

"We informed a very small number of customers that the SIM card assigned to a mobile number on their account may have been illegally reassigned or limited account information was viewed," T-Mobile told BleepingComputer.

Big telecoms targeted
"Unauthorized SIM swaps are unfortunately a common industry-wide occurrence, however this issue was quickly corrected by our team, using our in-place safeguards, and we proactively took additional protective measures on their behalf."

"We are not providing any additional information at this time. Thank you!”, the statement concluded.

A SIM swap attack is a fraudulent activity in which the telecommunications operator is tricked into assigning a mobile phone number to a different SIM card. It’s a popular, and very dangerous attack, given that many people use SMS for two-factor authentication.

By redirecting SMS messages to the attacker’s mobile device, they’re often able to log into banking services, clear out the funds, or steal their identities for other purposes.

As a major telecoms provider, T-Mobile is often the target of identity theft and similar fraudulent activities. Customers are advised to be extra careful when getting SMS messages, or emails, claiming to be from T-Mobile. Also, they should be careful not to open any links in those messages, before confirming the authenticity of the sender.

Account takeover is such a widespread thing that T-Mobile has an entire support page devoted to it.

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1264 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:00 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:54 pm
Diverting day today Li Siyao, a 36 year old, divorced company director with a 5 year old son in Beijing called me on WhatsApp, asked why was in her phone book.

She asked what I did, what I earned, what my pension was etc. Eventually the subject of Bitcoin came up and she had an impressive sum in her account.

She hand held me through the process to the point of buying in to Bitcoin. As it was, it was a bit of a faff and I lost interest.
And surprise surprise, in today's Telegraph Money section:
In late 2020 I was contacted out of the blue on WhatsApp by a woman from Hong Kong. Instead of dismissing her, I engaged in a conversation as I have always been interested in different cultures. It was lockdown and so I had some time on my hands.

The conversation continued for months. I told her about my children and she remembered when I had operations (I have a chronic health condition). She told me about her family and different business ventures.

She went on to tell me how she liked to do financial trading and showed me on a demo account how even with tiny amounts of money you can get a positive return. I tried out practice trades based on her instructions, showing her screenshots of what I had done.

Because the practice trading had gone well she convinced me that, if I invested some real money, she would use her contacts to ensure that I would make a good return.
She was lucky and was only in for £1,000 and she got it back.

The approach was identical and clearly been running for over a year. It was new one to the Telegraph money guru.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1265 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:51 am

Been getting an increasing number of emails from @123qwe. Co. Uk
Initially just from Esmerelda with a horoscope
Then one from TE$CO and just now from Primark and others too.
They are automatically deleted on my computer but not on my phone.

admin
Chief Engineer

#1266 Post by admin » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:44 am

In the last few days I've received three individual txt msgs on my iphone that state "I've found a video where someone looks like you @ https://paralland.quest ......................." or words to that effect. Suspect the intention is to get me to access the site where nasties will be uploaded to my phone. One suspects quite a few less paranoid will do so. Be careful out there.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1267 Post by Woody » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:26 am

admin wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:44 am
In the last few days I've received three individual txt msgs on my iphone that state "I've found a video where someone looks like you @ https://paralland.quest ......................." or words to that effect. Suspect the intention is to get me to access the site where nasties will be uploaded to my phone. One suspects quite a few less paranoid will do so. Be careful out there.
If it’s the same as the ones circulating around here, probably means that one of your contacts has had their account hacked and the spammers are using their account contacts to phish for victims :-o
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1268 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:21 am

Had several of the same Admin. Duly blocked and deleted. However, they do appear to come from valid numbers as I tried ringing one back to see what happened.

It rang, so I promptly hung up. I was expecting the recorded message that ".......the number you have rung is not connected!"

And got one this afternoon, the caller allegedly from a number in Spain (!) in which a recorded, possibly computer generated voice claiming to be from Amazon, was authorising a payment of.........

That's as far as I let it go before swearing into the phone and hanging up.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1269 Post by OFSO » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:51 pm

Ignorant twats! Can't even use grammar correctly... Not to mention that I do not have an Amazon.uk account.

"T͏͏h͏͏e͏͏ S͏͏y͏͏s͏͏t͏͏e͏͏m͏͏ a͏͏u͏͏t͏͏o͏͏m͏͏a͏͏t͏͏i͏͏c͏͏a͏͏l͏͏l͏͏y͏͏ l͏͏o͏͏c͏͏k͏͏ y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏r͏͏ A͏͏m͏͏a͏͏z͏͏o͏͏n͏͏ a͏͏c͏͏c͏͏o͏͏u͏͏n͏͏t͏͏ a͏͏n͏͏d͏͏ h͏͏o͏͏l͏͏d͏͏ a͏͏l͏͏l͏͏ y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏r͏͏ l͏͏a͏͏s͏͏t͏͏ o͏͏r͏͏d͏͏e͏͏r͏͏.
W͏͏e͏͏ t͏͏o͏͏o͏͏k͏͏ t͏͏h͏͏i͏͏s͏͏ a͏͏c͏͏t͏͏i͏͏o͏͏n͏͏, b͏͏e͏͏c͏͏a͏͏u͏͏s͏͏e͏͏ t͏͏h͏͏e͏͏ b͏͏i͏͏l͏͏l͏͏i͏͏n͏͏g͏͏ i͏͏n͏͏f͏͏o͏͏r͏͏m͏͏a͏͏t͏͏i͏͏o͏͏n͏͏ y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏ p͏͏r͏͏o͏͏v͏͏i͏͏d͏͏e͏͏d͏͏ d͏͏i͏͏d͏͏ n͏͏o͏͏t͏͏ m͏͏a͏͏t͏͏c͏͏h͏͏ t͏͏h͏͏e͏͏ i͏͏n͏͏f͏͏o͏͏r͏͏m͏͏a͏͏t͏͏i͏͏o͏͏n͏͏ o͏͏n͏͏ f͏͏i͏͏l͏͏e͏͏ t͏͏h͏͏e͏͏ c͏͏a͏͏r͏͏d͏͏ i͏͏s͏͏s͏͏u͏͏e͏͏r͏͏.

T͏͏o͏͏ u͏͏n͏͏l͏͏o͏͏c͏͏k͏͏e͏͏d͏͏ y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏r͏͏ a͏͏c͏͏c͏͏o͏͏u͏͏n͏͏t͏͏, y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏ c͏͏a͏͏n͏͏ c͏͏l͏͏i͏͏c͏͏k͏͏ b͏͏u͏͏t͏͏t͏͏o͏͏n͏͏ b͏͏e͏͏l͏͏o͏͏w͏͏ a͏͏n͏͏d͏͏ p͏͏r͏͏o͏͏c͏͏e͏͏e͏͏d͏͏ w͏͏i͏͏t͏͏h͏͏ i͏͏d͏͏e͏͏n͏͏t͏͏i͏͏t͏͏y͏͏ v͏͏e͏͏r͏͏i͏͏f͏͏i͏͏c͏͏a͏͏t͏͏i͏͏o͏͏n͏͏ t͏͏o͏͏ p͏͏r͏͏o͏͏v͏͏e͏͏ t͏͏h͏͏a͏͏t͏͏ i͏͏t͏͏ i͏͏s͏͏ y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏r͏͏ a͏͏c͏͏c͏͏o͏͏u͏͏n͏͏t͏͏.

I͏͏f͏͏ y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏ d͏͏o͏͏ n͏͏o͏͏t͏͏ c͏͏o͏͏m͏͏p͏͏l͏͏e͏͏t͏͏e͏͏ t͏͏h͏͏e͏͏ v͏͏e͏͏r͏͏i͏͏f͏͏i͏͏c͏͏a͏͏t͏͏i͏͏o͏͏n͏͏ p͏͏r͏͏o͏͏c͏͏e͏͏s͏͏s͏͏ w͏͏i͏͏t͏͏h͏͏i͏͏n͏͏ 2͏͏4͏͏ h͏͏o͏͏u͏͏r͏͏s͏͏, a͏͏l͏͏l͏͏ p͏͏e͏͏n͏͏d͏͏i͏͏n͏͏g͏͏ o͏͏r͏͏d͏͏e͏͏r͏͏s͏͏ w͏͏i͏͏l͏͏l͏͏ b͏͏e͏͏ c͏͏a͏͏n͏͏c͏͏e͏͏l͏͏l͏͏e͏͏d͏͏ a͏͏n͏͏d͏͏ y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏ w͏͏i͏͏l͏͏l͏͏ n͏͏o͏͏t͏͏ b͏͏e͏͏ a͏͏b͏͏l͏͏e͏͏ t͏͏o͏͏ a͏͏c͏͏c͏͏e͏͏s͏͏s͏͏ y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏r͏͏ a͏͏c͏͏c͏͏o͏͏u͏͏n͏͏t͏͏ u͏͏n͏͏t͏͏i͏͏l͏͏ t͏͏h͏͏i͏͏s͏͏ p͏͏r͏͏o͏͏c͏͏e͏͏s͏͏s͏͏ h͏͏a͏͏s͏͏ b͏͏e͏͏e͏͏n͏͏ c͏͏o͏͏m͏͏p͏͏l͏͏e͏͏t͏͏e͏͏d͏͏."

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1270 Post by ricardian » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:08 pm

OFSO wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:51 pm
Ignorant twats! Can't even use grammar correctly... Not to mention that I do not have an Amazon.uk account.
"T͏͏h͏͏e͏͏ S͏͏y͏͏s͏͏t͏͏e͏͏m͏͏ a͏͏u͏͏t͏͏o͏͏m͏͏a͏͏t͏͏i͏͏c͏͏a͏͏l͏͏l͏͏y͏͏ l͏͏o͏͏c͏͏k͏͏ y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏r͏͏ A͏͏m͏͏a͏͏z͏͏o͏͏n͏͏ a͏͏c͏͏c͏͏o͏͏u͏͏n͏͏t͏͏ a͏͏n͏͏d͏͏ h͏͏o͏͏l͏͏d͏͏ a͏͏l͏͏l͏͏ y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏r͏͏ l͏͏a͏͏s͏͏t͏͏ o͏͏r͏͏d͏͏e͏͏r͏͏.
W͏͏e͏͏ t͏͏o͏͏o͏͏k͏͏ t͏͏h͏͏i͏͏s͏͏ a͏͏c͏͏t͏͏i͏͏o͏͏n͏͏, b͏͏e͏͏c͏͏a͏͏u͏͏s͏͏e͏͏ t͏͏h͏͏e͏͏ b͏͏i͏͏l͏͏l͏͏i͏͏n͏͏g͏͏ i͏͏n͏͏f͏͏o͏͏r͏͏m͏͏a͏͏t͏͏i͏͏o͏͏n͏͏ y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏ p͏͏r͏͏o͏͏v͏͏i͏͏d͏͏e͏͏d͏͏ d͏͏i͏͏d͏͏ n͏͏o͏͏t͏͏ m͏͏a͏͏t͏͏c͏͏h͏͏ t͏͏h͏͏e͏͏ i͏͏n͏͏f͏͏o͏͏r͏͏m͏͏a͏͏t͏͏i͏͏o͏͏n͏͏ o͏͏n͏͏ f͏͏i͏͏l͏͏e͏͏ t͏͏h͏͏e͏͏ c͏͏a͏͏r͏͏d͏͏ i͏͏s͏͏s͏͏u͏͏e͏͏r͏͏.
T͏͏o͏͏ u͏͏n͏͏l͏͏o͏͏c͏͏k͏͏e͏͏d͏͏ y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏r͏͏ a͏͏c͏͏c͏͏o͏͏u͏͏n͏͏t͏͏, y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏ c͏͏a͏͏n͏͏ c͏͏l͏͏i͏͏c͏͏k͏͏ b͏͏u͏͏t͏͏t͏͏o͏͏n͏͏ b͏͏e͏͏l͏͏o͏͏w͏͏ a͏͏n͏͏d͏͏ p͏͏r͏͏o͏͏c͏͏e͏͏e͏͏d͏͏ w͏͏i͏͏t͏͏h͏͏ i͏͏d͏͏e͏͏n͏͏t͏͏i͏͏t͏͏y͏͏ v͏͏e͏͏r͏͏i͏͏f͏͏i͏͏c͏͏a͏͏t͏͏i͏͏o͏͏n͏͏ t͏͏o͏͏ p͏͏r͏͏o͏͏v͏͏e͏͏ t͏͏h͏͏a͏͏t͏͏ i͏͏t͏͏ i͏͏s͏͏ y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏r͏͏ a͏͏c͏͏c͏͏o͏͏u͏͏n͏͏t͏͏.
I͏͏f͏͏ y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏ d͏͏o͏͏ n͏͏o͏͏t͏͏ c͏͏o͏͏m͏͏p͏͏l͏͏e͏͏t͏͏e͏͏ t͏͏h͏͏e͏͏ v͏͏e͏͏r͏͏i͏͏f͏͏i͏͏c͏͏a͏͏t͏͏i͏͏o͏͏n͏͏ p͏͏r͏͏o͏͏c͏͏e͏͏s͏͏s͏͏ w͏͏i͏͏t͏͏h͏͏i͏͏n͏͏ 2͏͏4͏͏ h͏͏o͏͏u͏͏r͏͏s͏͏, a͏͏l͏͏l͏͏ p͏͏e͏͏n͏͏d͏͏i͏͏n͏͏g͏͏ o͏͏r͏͏d͏͏e͏͏r͏͏s͏͏ w͏͏i͏͏l͏͏l͏͏ b͏͏e͏͏ c͏͏a͏͏n͏͏c͏͏e͏͏l͏͏l͏͏e͏͏d͏͏ a͏͏n͏͏d͏͏ y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏ w͏͏i͏͏l͏͏l͏͏ n͏͏o͏͏t͏͏ b͏͏e͏͏ a͏͏b͏͏l͏͏e͏͏ t͏͏o͏͏ a͏͏c͏͏c͏͏e͏͏s͏͏s͏͏ y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏r͏͏ a͏͏c͏͏c͏͏o͏͏u͏͏n͏͏t͏͏ u͏͏n͏͏t͏͏i͏͏l͏͏ t͏͏h͏͏i͏͏s͏͏ p͏͏r͏͏o͏͏c͏͏e͏͏s͏͏s͏͏ h͏͏a͏͏s͏͏ b͏͏e͏͏e͏͏n͏͏ c͏͏o͏͏m͏͏p͏͏l͏͏e͏͏t͏͏e͏͏d͏͏."
For a bit of fun try this site or this where the scammers are taken for a ride.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1271 Post by Opsboi » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:11 pm

ricardian wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:08 pm

For a bit of fun try this site or this where the scammers are taken for a ride.
Seriously, would you really log in to either of those?

I'm sure they're really funny but you know what, I wouldn't even go close

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

BITCOIN Scam and Dragons' Den

#1272 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:31 pm

If it seems too good to be true it probably is......

There are very convincing scam news reports around that are claiming the Dragons in Dragons' Den all invested in Bitcoin Motion dot com and made money through an automated buying/selling program. You just make money by investing £250 and watch your money grow.....

I clicked on bitcoinmotion (dot) com. Very convincing except the time left to register keeps resetting every 9 minutes or so and there are always only 3 registration opportunities available.

As you can imagine the Dragons are denying any association and there has certainly never been a Dragons' Den episode featuring this scam.....

https://www.deborahmeaden.com/blog/false-bitcoin-claims
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1273 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:26 am

I am happy to report I received a call from a UK number (I don't know if I am allowed to present it here) very early in the morning (local time).

A gentleman with a very obvious Indian accent introduced himself as Patrick working for Microsoft and started telling me about how my computer was hacked and keeps sending data etc. I let him talked to see what I could. He asked me once if I understand, he asked me twice. The third time he said "do you understand?" I told him I have answered yes two times already and my answer hasn't changed. Unfortunately he hang up.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1274 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:32 pm

Received two similar emails today. No real message but contains THAAANK YOU. Two IP addresses are BOGON and one other is in Illinois. The IP addresses are dot com but the sender name suggests a foreign sender not a US one. Actual sender was slightly different. The first message also had BOGON and a Paris IP Address but a dot Co dot UK address.

They just stink.

Both have been forwarded to relevant organisations.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1275 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:50 am

Three messages yesterday telling me my PayPal account was locked due to irregularities. Not sure if I should be worried, especially in light of the fact that I don't have a PP a/c.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1276 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:39 am

Why am I getting three or four scams daily, telling me that my McAfee account has, or is about to, expire unless I click on the link to enable me to part with money. I have a current McAfee account that was recently renewed.

Some of the names, and domains, are actually laughable.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1277 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:20 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:39 am
Why am I getting three or four scams daily, telling me that my McAfee account has, or is about to, expire unless I click on the link to enable me to part with money. I have a current McAfee account that was recently renewed.

Some of the names, and domains, are actually laughable.
Same here!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1278 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:54 am

That seems to suggest their database may have been hacked.

Without suggesting you suck eggs, do you know how to find where it's from?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1279 Post by Woody » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:58 am

OFSO wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:50 am
Three messages yesterday telling me my PayPal account was locked due to irregularities. Not sure if I should be worried, especially in light of the fact that I don't have a PP a/c.
Glad that I’m not the only one who they’re wasting time on :D
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1280 Post by Pinky the pilot » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:03 am

I was getting fairly regular messages on my phone saying much the same as the above until I got into the habit of sending reply sms calling them an (expletive deleted) scammer and inviting them to involve themselves in some sexual activity and travel. :ymdevil:

Haven't had another sms for nearly two weeks now! :-o I'm beginning to feel neglected! :))