SCAMMERS !

General Chit Chat
Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: SCAMMERS !

#461 Post by Hydromet » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:59 am

Just based on accents, it seems that many of our recent phone scams are originating from the Phillipines.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#462 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:19 pm

Just had another message left on the answerphone warning me of hell and damnation if I don't press '1' and speak to a technician about my "compromised" IP address. That voice sounded a bit like it came from a bit further east than India.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Capetonian

#463 Post by Capetonian » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:21 pm

Sent: 17 September 2018 02:59
To: xxxxxxxx@hotmail.com
Subject: Good Day to u:) Mister Only

May U r free to small talk:-)
How so? what's your age?
Where do You stay now?
I am alive Girl from Ukraine.

At this moment Im waiting for nonsuch dude:)
I am going to send You my photo attached:-)
this is my E-mail for response jakombeko@outlook.com
I am relieved to hear you are alive as I would be worried if a dead person were writing to me, even from Ukraine.

Tell me about your scam, you thieving son of a whore, and please send me photos of yourself playing with a live grenade inserted into your rear orifice.
The reply will ignore what I have writter :

"Hello my gentle friend the new. I is of delight that you respond with me and I can consider it is start to a relationship. Maybe in soon time it is us **** each others brains out."

Capetonian

#464 Post by Capetonian » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:34 am

Hello my dear friend! My name is Asol, I'm an artist, quite
Recently we came to your city to show your paintings at the exhibition.
We are artists, we put all our heart...............
This morning's crop.
I've told her she sounds like an Asol.

Slasher

#465 Post by Slasher » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:40 am

I hardly ever get scam email, but about a week ago an old lady in Africa wrote to me saying I'm her last hope in protecting her bank account loot (USD1.5 mill) from her greedy rellies who are trying to invalidate her will, and wants to transfer it all to my account. When the coast is clear she'll want 1 mill back and I get to keep the remaining 500k as gratuity.

All I have to do is email my account details to her London lawyer with an African name, and expect later to TT $350 to his account at Citibank for processing fee after I have been fullly screened and deemed trustworthy. She didn't mention at all what the screening process was but assured me I'd pass it, as she would personally vouch for my trustworthiness.

Relatives can be so cruel and nasty!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#466 Post by OFSO » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:11 pm

That ladies name isn't Asol, it's Aerosol. Push her button and she sprays everywhere....

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#467 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:17 pm

I received a letter through the post today, seemingly from a very large, well-known insurance company. According to this letter, they are pleased to tell me that I can see details of my policy by visiting their web-site where my account is all set-up. The letter tells me how to activate the account using a "special code" and entering my personal details, i.e name , address, date of birth, e-mail address, password, home/mobile telephone number, in-side trouser leg measurement*, etc.

Alarm bells ringing as I don't have policy with this company and the letter does not have any contact details should I wish to phone, e-mail or write to them. It almost smacks of the 'Microsoft Technical Office' phone calls from India. Any one else had this type of letter?

I'm most certainly not going to activate "my account".

* not actually asked for but you get the drift.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#468 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:52 pm

* not actually asked for but you get the drift.

Didn't they ask for the name of your Grandmothers first dog ?

If not, then definitely a scam.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#469 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:00 am

Just received this, an invitation to renew my Netflix subscription – a service that I have not subscribed to.

Do you think it is Spam ?

Gree3tzings1,

We ho6pe yoiu'tve enjoyed our satmreamifng sfervioce,x we're4 sorry twop havue teox iniform you th7at yo6ur3 subscrjiptfion haso expiredg, but ify yvou0 pucruchase a9 new subscri3ption0 today, ycoue can contijn6uew tso urse the se9rvircae withmout ain1y int1eyrbruption.

Rlenew S8uybscrui1patipo4nh < (Link here removed )

Tehapn7kd ywou forro usivng ouar shervicen. Weq hope to2 conttinuge serhving ynoub.4

Best Re7gards,h
N6etkflinx Teaam

306 Ch3a0rless Lasnre Riveridale, GA 302z74 USA Unbshubsmcribex ( Link here removed )

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#470 Post by Hydromet » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:05 am

Nah, looks genuine.

Slasher

#471 Post by Slasher » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:49 am

I agree - it looks genuine.

ExSp33d you must've been tanked at some point and had subscribed to the Drunks package.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#472 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:43 am

Strangely ... it has just appeared on Mrs. ExS's computer perfectly written, identical message.

perhaps my laptop has lapsed not Serbo Croat ?

Curiouser and curiouser - said Alice.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#473 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:59 pm

Just had a real cracker!
Apparently it has been reported that, sometime in the last two years I was involved in a no fault incident and I might want to claim for it . . .

I will spare you the details of my conversation with the caller, just believe that he hadn't any suggestion as to date or location - in short it was going to be whatever I wanted it to be . . .

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#474 Post by OFSO » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:20 pm

G-CPTN, at the same time of 18:55 UK time (I was waiting for 'Supervet' to start and the wife for the 'Archers') I received a call from "Kathy" telling me the same thing. Coincidence or what ? Did we collide in another dimension.....

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#475 Post by llondel » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:21 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:17 pm
I received a letter through the post today, seemingly from a very large, well-known insurance company. According to this letter, they are pleased to tell me that I can see details of my policy by visiting their web-site where my account is all set-up. The letter tells me how to activate the account using a "special code" and entering my personal details, i.e name , address, date of birth, e-mail address, password, home/mobile telephone number, in-side trouser leg measurement*, etc.
In the days before all the dodgy scripting nonsense, I used to go visit these sites, make up a special code and a load of other details, then provide a username of "upyours" and a password of "withknobson". Probably wouldn't be understood by overseas scammer now though.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#476 Post by ricardian » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:50 pm

Some wonderfully imaginative people beating the scammers at their own game.

Wonderfully imaginative names for the baiters too - Reverend Wally Tightnuts, Ethel Wormvarnish, etc
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#477 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:18 am

Got an e-mail saying me account had been hacked, the perp had taken photos of me through the built-in camera of my reactions to visiting naughty sites and unless I paid a ransom in US $, all my contacts would be passed details of all the naughty sites I had been visiting plus the photos. Hmmmm, got me wondering, is Ops-normal a naughty site?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#478 Post by ian16th » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:09 am

4mastacker wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:18 am
Hmmmm, got me wondering, is Ops-normal a naughty site?
It must be, 'cos I got the same e-mail!

:-bd :YMHUG: ^:)^
Cynicism improves with age

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#479 Post by boing » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:14 pm

4mastacker

I got that email also. Looks as though someone is shotgunning email addresses in the hope that 1 in 100 people will have a guilt trip and send the money. The internet is a minefield.

Although it is a scam the email was a bit of a wake up call so I did a quick security assessment of our small business computer network.

The action we are taking is:

To convert all computers to fingerprint log on'.

To extend the use of encrypted passwords storage (using the Sticky Password programme) which removes the need to remember multiple passwords and allows very secure choices.

To search for more secure email programmes. I am looking at a very interesting email programme called Protonmail that encrypts contact data and allows secure encrypted emails from end to end of the email chain if both users are running the programme. The company is based in Switzerland to avoid US and other restrictions on the use of strongly encrypted emails. So far, if you are concerned more about security than convenience, the programme looks quite useful.
If only one user has the ProtonMail programme the transaction is sent unencrypted but the contact list and the saved emails on the ProtonMail user end are still encrypted. The encrypted contact list is really valuable since this is the target for many hackers.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#480 Post by ian16th » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:32 pm

I have several 'types' of passwords, at the lowest level for sites such as this, with no financial implications, I use a simple alphameric style.

For anything with financial implications I use much more complicated passwords and never the same one for different sites.

The scam e-mail showed one of my lowest level passwords. So I'm not overly concerned.

An advantage of being in the military is a rather vast collection of numbers engraved on ones brain. Who else bar Allison knows the Section & ref of a Green Satin Tx/Rx?
Cynicism improves with age