SCAMMERS !

General Chit Chat
Capetonian

Re: SCAMMERS !

#941 Post by Capetonian » Fri May 29, 2020 11:01 am

Bill and Helene <billandhelene624@gmail.com>
Fri 29/05/2020 10:45
Dear Friend,

We got your response and we will like you to know that this is not a hoax because we did personal research for the people we contacted. my wife and I are grateful to God for this fortune and we praise his holy name everyday for the smiles he has put on our faces, so in turn we have decided to put smiles on the faces of other people this difficult time (Corona Virus Pandemic).

God works in miraculous ways, You may be wondering why you received the email, i know this is funny to you right?, when i first pick the lottery ticket and my wife checked it and said we are one of the winners, I doubted it and called it a prank. Until i got to check it over again, I know you would be wondering in your heart and mind if this is for real but don't panic it is well.

This is a lifetime opportunity and 100% legitimate, my wife and I have decided to make sure this is put on the Internet for the world to see, My wife has an ailment and as you could see from the web-page, am not getting any younger, after taking care of the needs of our immediate family members, we decided to donate the remaining of the million (USD) to other individuals around the world in need, the local fire department, the Red Cross, Haiti, hospitals in Truro where my wife underwent her cancer treatment, and some other organizations in Asia and Europe that fight cancer, Alzheimer's and diabetes and the bulk of the funds deposited with Halifax, the payout bank of this charity donation project. We have kept just 2% of the entire lottery sum to our self for the rainy day.

You don't have to be skeptic about this as this is not a hoax, it is absolutely a blessing from God, We believe we are doing the right thing in deciding to put smiles on the faces of other people by reaching out to some individuals, the less privileged ones and charity organizations too.

To facilitate the disbursement process of the funds 5,000,000.00 USD has been solely donated to you, please send us your contact address and a valid identification of your self and phone number, so that we can forward your details over to the payout bank immediately, We are hoping that you will be able to use the money wisely and judiciously in your community, We will employ you to do what you can to alleviate the level of poverty in your community and also try to enhance the standard of living of as many people as you can because that is the only objective of donating this money to you in the first place.

In view of all these, we want you to know that measures have been put in place for our intentions to be implemented swiftly and by so doing, we request that you re-confirm your details once again so that we can immediately forward your information to our pay-out bank.

Full Names:
Contact/resident Address:
Phone Number:
Country/Nationality:

Please be aware that we do not need your information for any other purpose, we only need this information because we need to have a correct record of who we are dealing with so as to establish a better relationship with you.

We anticipate your earliest response.

Regards,
Bill and Helene Lawrence
On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 1:10 PM xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Thank you. Please send the money to my UK bank account :

Halifax Bank, xxxxxxxxxxxx (I used details of someone whom I would be happy to see scammed or messed around)

Please do this quickly as it is very urgently needed in the community.

Thank you

xxxxxxxxx
>Dear Sir / Madam,
>This is a personal email directed to you. My wife and I won a Power Ball of $150,000.000.00 jackpot on December 16, 2019 and we have voluntarily decided to >donate the sum of 5 MILLION Dollar to you as part of our own charity project to improve the life of 8-10 lucky individuals all over the world plus 10 close friends >and family.
>We believe that this wonderful opportunity came to us from God and we cannot keep it to ourselves all alone, Your email was submitted to us by Google >Management Team
>You can verify this by visiting the web pages below and send your response back to us.
>https://www.powerball.com/winner-story/ ... et-claimed
>And one more thing, this donation is made out to you as to enable you to strengthen your personal issues and mostly to generously help us extend hands of giving >to the less privileged, orphans and charity organizations within your locality.
>Bill and Helene Lawrence
>Email: billandhelene624@gmail.com

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#942 Post by 4mastacker » Sat May 30, 2020 10:54 am

Received a junk e-mail this morning, supposedly from Windows, that my Windows Driver Repair Software was out of date and I needed to 'click here' to renew and update. I have an i-Mac. Binned the e-mail before I remembered to add the address to Cape's list.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#943 Post by OFSO » Sat May 30, 2020 11:02 am

Bill and Helene Lawrence are real people who did win the Powerball Lottery, so it's possible the mails you received are not fraudulent.

Also bears do not defecate in the woods, the moon isn't made of coagulated milk, and the man wearing female garments and living in the Vatican is Jewish.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#944 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:05 am

The Reg warns today of the Contact Tracing Scam. It seems when HMG set up a system whereby a Tracer phones or texts and reports "someone near you is testing positive but we cannot divulge their name" it never occurred to them how scam-friendly this is.

Way back when I used to be the Jape Master General, I would have seized on this. Today, I hesitate, nay, really do not recommend, that you call your local MP, town councillor or other dignitaries pretending to be a Tracer and claiming they have been exposed.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#945 Post by ricardian » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:55 pm

OFSO wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:05 am
The Reg warns today of the Contact Tracing Scam. It seems when HMG set up a system whereby a Tracer phones or texts and reports "someone near you is testing positive but we cannot divulge their name" it never occurred to them how scam-friendly this is.
Way back when I used to be the Jape Master General, I would have seized on this. Today, I hesitate, nay, really do not recommend, that you call your local MP, town councillor or other dignitaries pretending to be a Tracer and claiming they have been exposed.
HMG tracing will contact you via their well-advertised telephone number 0300 0135000 but of course you cannot phone that number to check that you are not being scammed!
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#946 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:31 pm

A new one (for us) this morning. Apparently we have transgressed Amazon Prime's Ts&Cs by mis-using our (non-existent) account and unless we press '1' to speak to our assigned investigator, hell-fire and damnation will descend upon our heads.

I'll make a cup of tea whilst I'm waiting.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Capetonian

#947 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:28 am

Some people are gullible. A friend of mine in CPT fell for the 'fake news' on Monday that the bottle stores were going to close again, and rushed out to stock up. I wasn't going to let him live it down so I forwarded him a fake Cadbury's promo which I got on WhatsApp and the following conversation took place :

Cadbury01.JPG
Cadbury02.JPG
Maybe BMW drivers are gullible ......... or desperate to have a Merc!

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#948 Post by ian16th » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:39 pm

Don't confuse drivers with owners!

I was a BMW driver, the really good news, it was a company car and the company paid the garage bills!

I'd never buy one with my money.
Cynicism improves with age

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#949 Post by Woody » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:49 pm

Just got this one from a friend, sure someone will be caught out :((
Copied from a friend :-
And so it begins!
Just to let you know these phone calls are going round.
"Good morning, I'm calling from the NHS track and trace service. According to our system, you are likely to have been in close proximity to someone who has tested postive for COVID-19. This means that you now need to self-isolate for 7 days and take a COVID-19 test."
"OK. Can you tell me who that person was?"
"I'm not able to tell you that. That is confidential information."
"Right. Um... so ...."
"But you do need to be tested within the next 72 hours. So can I just get the best mailing address so that we can send a kit to you?"
"Ok (gives address)"
"Thank you - and I just need to take a payment card so that we can finalise this and send the kit to you."
"Sorry - a payment card? I thought this was all free?"
"No - I'm afraid not. There is a one-off fee of £500 for the kit, and test results. Could you read off the long card number for me, please, when you're ready."
"No - that's not right. This is part of the NHS so there's no charge."
"I'm afraid there is. Can you give me the card number please - this is very important. There are severe penalties for not complying."
Puts phone down.
This is how scammers work. And vulnerable people will fall for it.
Don't fall for it! COPY or SHARE.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#950 Post by Magnus » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:03 am

Just start by telling them the account is with the Central Bank of Nigeria, swift code CBNINGLA, see how the call pans out.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#951 Post by llondel » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:39 pm

Change of format today, clearly someone without the required number of brain cells has decided to jump on the "been watching you, send money or else" extortion scam. This one gives me an old password and tells me to reads the attachment for more information, except that there is no attachment. I expect it would have had malware attached anyway.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#952 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:01 am

Just had an email in French from a French lady I know who is fluent in English. There was no salutation. It says she is in bad health and I must email her immediately. No attachment. Odd. It must be a scam but not sure what it is trying to achieve.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#953 Post by llondel » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:22 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:01 am
Just had an email in French from a French lady I know who is fluent in English. There was no salutation. It says she is in bad health and I must email her immediately. No attachment. Odd. It must be a scam but not sure what it is trying to achieve.
If you email back, you establish you're real and then the response will be to ask you for money to meet medical bills, or she's going to change her will in your favour but needs help with the legal expenses.

Capetonian

#954 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:50 am

You will probably find that someone has got hold of her email address and list of correspondents, they then send out emails from a minimally different address they set up, for example maryjsmith@xxxxxx.com instead of maryjsmiith@xxxxxx.com. Recipients mostly won't notice. Replies will therefore go to the scammer, who will say 'I need money I am stuck' etc, please send it to me via MoneyScam or WorstenOnion.

I have had several of these, I reply to them and mess them around. I told one scammer I'd pay his hotel bill in Cyprus, which of course was not what he wanted as he wasn't in Cyprus, then I offered to send the money to a bank there for him to pick up and he sent an accomplice to do so, then I got a vitriolic email saying I'd wasted his time. Shame. Still, 10 Hail Marys later I felt better about it and did it all again with another scammer.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#955 Post by Hydromet » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:51 am

I occasionally get these, purportedly from my daughter, after her hotmail account was hacked. I've blocked the address now, but I'm tempted to unblock it just to follow Cape's example.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#956 Post by Woody » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:21 am

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#957 Post by Hydromet » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:43 am

Haven't seen this one before - points for originality I suppose.
Attachments
Spammer.jpg

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#958 Post by Woody » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:59 pm

Inigo Philbrick, at least he wasn’t trying to blend in :D

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... l#comments

Capetonian

#959 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:00 am

I received one of those 'we've been watching you on your webcam pleasuring yourself' emails this morning.

The odd thing is that, apart from anything else, my one laptop doesn't have a webcam, and on the other, it's been covered with black tape since the day I bought it, apart from a couple of times when I have done 'zoom' calls after which it is immediately taped over again.

Other than that, my junk mail has become very dull, it's all about car insurance, home loans, sexymilfs, Lisa on **** ...

I haven't had a PPI or 'car accident' call for months, just the 'missed calls' from 0843 numbers which ring for a second and then hang up. I've never understood what those are about.

Is anyone getting anything interesting?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#960 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:56 pm

Had one today, I think someone's email has been subverted and his address book hacked.

Here is the first message:

Sent: 06 July 2020 12:37
Subject: How are you doing??

Are you busy at this moment ? Let me know please....
Regards

Regards
xxx xxxxxxxx

I asked him how I could help

"I am so sorry i would have prefer to call you but am tied up in a meeting at the moment so email will be fine. Please i need a Favor, Can you purchase Amazon gift cards 3 pieces -£100 each at any nearby store or online via amazon.co.uk? I would reimburse you when am through later today.

Best wishes

xxx

I then asked him what he was doing 2nd week in September 1964 - no answer. I know exactly what he was doing for September to December that year :)