General Chit Chat
ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: SCAMMERS !

#901 Post by ian16th » Fri May 15, 2020 11:09 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:46 am
Not really a scam, but .... I once learned that one started a number with a - I think ? - a 3 digit "area" number that was dedicated to one's local exchange, so that if one started a number with one's own "area" number then it was only a local call, but anything else became a Toll call, don't press me, can't remember the detail now, but I stopped at every town and village from Heathrow to my then Dorset home, and noted the number to call the "next" place as a local call, then when I got home I rang them all in sequence, having by then something like a 24 digit number that would allow me to call Heathrow as a local call, instead of having to make what was then an expensive toll call ! Seemed to work until I ended up having to add the Heathrow number I needed, which started with a O, and that broke the chain. Foiled again. But it sounded like a good idea at the time !
Yes you could do this with sequential local calls.
The let down was lack of amplifiers, the signal got weaker the further you travelled.
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#902 Post by Capetonian » Fri May 15, 2020 11:37 am

When I was at Uni we use to get our friends and family to reverse charge call us to the public phone at the end of the road. This went on for months until one day two of us walked down there and there was a police car parked opposite. Probably totally unconnected but we shat ourselves, and never used that box again.

If Ian16th. or GG or anyone else from ZA sees this thread, I'm sure they'll tell us about the 'long tickey' and tapping out the digits to make free international calls.

I remember doing the sequential dialling thing too, I had a girlfriend who lived in Bedford (0234) correction - Bradford, 0274) and used to call her from Chorleywood where I lived at the time using the local codes.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#903 Post by ian16th » Fri May 15, 2020 1:28 pm

The Leeds area code used to be 0532 and Hereford was 0432, the 4 digit number of my major customer in Hereford was the same as the 1st 4 digits of our Leeds office!

I was in Corby at British Steel and wanted to phone the Leeds office and miss-dialed, when I found myself connected to a familiar but totaly out of context, voice it was a WTF! Moment.!

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#904 Post by Magnus » Fri May 15, 2020 1:31 pm

In moments of extreme boredom, I used to call the speaking clock, put it on hold, dial someone else's extension and as soon as they picked up, I'd hang up to transfer the call to them. I can sometimes be easily amused.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#905 Post by ian16th » Fri May 15, 2020 4:05 pm

The latest:

Dear Sir/Ma,

I hope you are well. In these unprecedented times with the COVID-19, we want to support you as you navigate your personal or business situation and projects.

We are currently providing debt relief/debit financing or credit facility for your personal or business project. Financing could reach a maximum of $400 M USD at a 0.67% rate per annum with minimum documentations.

If you, or anyone you know, do require such financial relief of Credit Facility for Personal or Business do not hesitate to contact us before or by May 30, 2020

Thank you, and stay safe.

UMAR, Dhia Nayla

CBMF Brokering

Kinrara Seksyen 1,

47180 Puchong, Malaysia

__________________________________________________________________________________

To forward this message, please do not use the forward button of your email application, because this message was made specifically for you only. Instead use the forward page in our newsletter system. To change your details and to choose which lists to be subscribed to, visit your personal preferences page Or you can opt-out completely from all future mailings. ID: 04

Capetonian

#906 Post by Capetonian » Fri May 15, 2020 5:18 pm

Ian please let me have the email address and a few dozen scammers will be messed around. Or use my list posted below. I add to it every few days the associated emails of these bottom feeding lowlife. They get quite pissed off when you copy them all in on every reply.

Scary stuff, as you can see it is not 'a child's play.'
We received your emails and you must take note that this is no longer a child’s play because we are ready to take you to any length of the law if you fail to comply with DHL COURIER COMPANY by not sending the require fee We can track you down through investigative programs.We have your address and the evidence and status of your funds, so we can arrest you anytime anywhere for money laundry you will proof to us. how you own the fund by show us all the documents such as Ownership Certificate and others. documents. If you receive this message and pretend not to reply We will look for you take note

You can contact us with this email address
(fbidepartment146@aol.com)
Special Agent Dr. Michael Wilkey and Christopher A. Wray III,
Anti-Terrorist and Monetary Crimes Division Fbi Terrorist WASHINGTON DC
Anti-Terrorist and Monetary Crimes Division
Fbi Headquarters In Washington, D.C.
Federal Bureau Of Investigation

abiidebeingods@gmail.com
agentronaldh@gmail.com
agentronaldthosko1@gmail.com
angelaedwardang@gmail.com
barbereauclaude5@gmail.com
boa.bj71@gmail.com
buffetwarrene01@gmail.com
charlesschaf8634@gmail.com
charme.sandra@outlook.fr
cja952697@gmail.com <cja952697@gmail.com>
conniedutton74@gmail.com
crosskeysbankusa02@aol.com
customercares810@gmail.com <customercares810@gmail.com>
denbellwalkern@gmail.com
dhlcbenin@ymail.com
dhlccben@gmail.com <dhlccben@gmail.com>
dhlcompany1985@gmail.com
dhldeliverycompnay5@gmail.com
dispatchofficer32@yandex.com
Faithmalila422@gmail.com
fbidepartment146@aol.com
fbidepartment654@aol.com
federalbureauinvestigation466@gmail.com
federalhighcourt@email.cz <federalhighcourt@email.cz>
federalreserveank20@gmail.com
fhuangboard@outlook.jp
fu.huang@mufgbankgroup-jp.com
gcbn214@gmail.com
info.dhlshipping@usa.com
info.glc02@gmail.com
internaloversightun@gmail.com
interpoloffice675@gmail.com
jb6467134@gmail.com
johnsongerald108@gmail.com
lowmanalec@yahoo.com
maitre.olivierbrown@gmail.com
maranathakanulor66@gmail.com
martinzolu@yahoo.com
marywking06@gmail.com
maxwell5840@yahoo.com
ministryfinance89@aol.com
mr.edward377@gmail.com
Mr.Johnson Gerald <johnsongerald825@gmail.com>
mr.mackwhite695@yahoo.fr
mr.tonymore@yahoo.com
njklp.tremblay@gmail.com
office14file@gmail.com
ofiaaguleri@yahoo.com
ofile852@yahoo.com
patrickandfconnolly@seznam.cz
randy.williams2@citromail.hu
riamoneyt90@gmail.com
richardhallesq005@gmail.com
rittsco7@aol.com
rjosh5858@gmail.com
scam.victims5567@yahoo.com
westernuniontra2@aol.com
who.covid19donation@citromail.hu
williamsmorrs21@yahoo.com
worldbankauthority@post.cz
wumtan@gmail.com <wumtan@gmail.com>
wumtbenin82@gmail.com

Capetonian

#907 Post by Capetonian » Fri May 15, 2020 6:34 pm

Has anyone else noticed an increase in spam mail on their gmail account in the last week?
It's mostly just crap about : "Hot nurses in your area want to have sex with you"
"See my new videos"
etc.

Unfortunately it's on my 'real' gmail account and not either of the ones I use for baiting scammers. Obviously there is no connection, the others are in completely fake names.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#908 Post by llondel » Fri May 15, 2020 9:08 pm

BT got caught by the Midnight Lines scam many moons ago. They used to have a deal whereby you could have a line that allowed unlimited calling between midnight and 5am, or something like that. It was aimed at companies who had a need to dial a load of remote stations, exchange data over modems and hang up, so it was a lot of really short calls and a bit like the Economy 7 electric tariff, it was a way of encouraging such stuff to happen overnight when the equipment was otherwise idle and was way cheaper than a bunch of short calls (remember the minimum call charge?)

Some enterprising individual had a good look at their contract and rented a bunch of these lines. He also rented a bank of premium rate numbers, then at midnight would get the first lot to call the second lot and stay connected until the end of the period, thus making the outbound calls for free and BT were paying him the premium on the other lines. When someone at BT cottoned on to this they wanted to terminate the contracts immediately but he threatened to sue them for breach of contract and the amount of income he'd lose if they did. I believe they modified their standard contract after this loophole came to light. Not really a scam because it was entirely legal and somewhat ingenious.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#909 Post by Smeagol » Fri May 15, 2020 9:52 pm

In the 'good old days' when local calls in telephone boxes in the UK cost 4d and there were buttons A & B, I believe there were some 5o+ ways of connecting calls without paying. 'Tapping' was favourite, where the digits required were tapped out on the receiver rest. Trouble with this it caused the uniselectors in the exchange to move in a very jerky and audible way so anyone there knew what was happening.
The safest and most undetectable way was 'Back dialling' where the rotary dial was pulled round to its fullest extent and allowed to run back the requisite number of holes, using a cork to stop the dial.
One of the most unusual was putting the 4p in dialling the required number and when it was answered instead of pressing button 'A', one shouted up the money return chute. Never tried it, but apparently it did work...sometimes. And one looked rather off carrying out such a conversation in a public phone box!
We hates Bagginses!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#910 Post by llondel » Fri May 15, 2020 10:12 pm

Before they disabled it, you could use one of the little DTMF tone pads that banks were giving out at the time to dial the number, then as it started ringing at the far end, dial 999 on the phone, which would rattle off the digits but give you a free call.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#911 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat May 16, 2020 1:33 am

In moments of extreme boredom, I used to call the speaking clock ..............
Heard of one of our Stewardesses who had a major tiff with her pilot boyfriend but still had a key to his apartment. When he left on a two week trip she went back to the apt. and dialled the New York speaking clock and then just put the receiver down on the table! He came back two weeks later to a staggering International call bill ! Don't Get Mad, Get Even ?
When I was at Uni we use to get our friends and family to reverse charge call us to the public phone at the end of the road .........
Upon leaving school I had a job in another town that necessitated a train journey. Upon return to our local station in the evening I hoped my father would still be at his business premises so that I could get a ride home with him, but to walk to his place and find him gone, then walk back to the bus home could waste me an unnecessary 30 minutes, so .... I asked for a reverse charge connection, and if he answered and agreed to accept the charge, I knew he was there, and he knew it was me, so I just put the receiver down and walked to his place. After a couple of months I was refused the service and told to deposit the correct change ! "They" had cottoned on to my little ploy. Barstewards.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#912 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat May 16, 2020 7:11 am

In 1968, when the GPO owned everything, we boltholed from Waddington to Coningsby for 6 weeks. They had just realised that large hands free speaker phone. I confirmed with the engineer that both stations were in a local call rate area. They were.

I ordered a couple of machines for each end, ops and eng, and had instructions "do not hang up". Four pence for 6 weeks was cheaper than a private wire.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#913 Post by Hydromet » Sun May 17, 2020 11:57 pm

Yeah, right. I never touch to anything with a hotmail address, as since they were hacked years ago, its sole purpose seems to be spreading viruses.
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 9.52.37 am.png

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#914 Post by Hydromet » Mon May 18, 2020 1:27 am

...and another one. Haven't see this before. Half inclined to call the number from a public phone...or a fax machine, but couldn't be arsed.
spam1.jpg

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#915 Post by llondel » Mon May 18, 2020 1:55 am

I waved one of those attachments in front of a virus scanner which promptly ate it and told me it was a bad idea.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#916 Post by Hydromet » Mon May 18, 2020 2:24 am

llondel wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:55 am
I waved one of those attachments in front of a virus scanner which promptly ate it and told me it was a bad idea.
Perzactly.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#917 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon May 18, 2020 5:30 am

Just had a call, sounded like a recorded message, from our National Telecom Co. telling me that they are about to cut off my Internet connection unless .... didn't hear the end of it, put the receiver down.

If you never hear of me again you'll know it was genuine ?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#918 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon May 18, 2020 6:41 am

Read in papers significant reduction in cold calls in March/April but expected to increase as lock down eased.

If ever a job could be done from home 😂

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#919 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon May 18, 2020 6:49 am

Just received my first email of the day offering an Argos gift card. Win it now. I could try and win a gift card from every UK high street outlet.

In the detail it will say they have nothing to do with Argos and to write or email an address in New York to unsubscribe. I suppose the appeal to greed and if only one in a hundred thousand respond they win.

At least the 'genuine ' Florida holiday cold calls seem to have ended.

Capetonian

#920 Post by Capetonian » Mon May 18, 2020 7:55 am

I am still waiting for the IRS, HMRC,INS, Scotland Yard, FBI and many others to come and arrest me for 'felonies', money laundering, tax evasion, I have committed.

The other day, call from a UK 0843 number.
"Good morning is that Mr X?" (correct name)
"This is your bank, we need to check on your last three transactions."
"Why?"
"In case they are fraudulent."
"Which bank would that be then"
pause ...... "You know who you bank with."
"I have several bank accounts in each of several countries, I need to know whom I am speaking to."
"Uhhh .... ok then ...."

Wankers.