SCAMMERS !

General Chit Chat
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: SCAMMERS !

#781 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:21 pm

BOAC, I mentioned the potential data breach by 1066Direct. I decided to go straight to the CEO. One thing I had not considered was my address being used for a fraudulent car insurance scam. They have cancelled the policy, blocked my address on their system in case of repeat business, and are investigating.

Capetonian

#782 Post by Capetonian » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:48 pm

This might piss off this scammer!

Sent: 15 March 2020 17:28
To: xxxxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Project Payment

Hello

I hope you are fine and doing well. It is necessary to express my satisfaction with your prompt response to my proposal (letter).

With due responsibility to provide you with comprehensive details kindly refer to the attached file.

I cordially await your response.

平野伸之
Sincerely,
Mr Fu Huang Fu
P +81 345402353
F + 81344964386
Bank Of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed 18/03/2020 13:45

I'm not opening the attachedmunt in case it has the Corona Virus that you slit-eyed yellow skinned little ***** eating savages have spread round the world. Send as plain text, little Chinaman.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#783 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:03 pm

An 84 year old friend ordered a £185 mobile phone off the internet - I don't know who or where from. It has never arrived so he phoned the number on the website. To process a refund the Chinese sounding man on the phone wanted an email containing one of the following: a copy of his passport, a copy of his driving licence or a Police crime number (?!!). He told me that there was no way he was giving them a copy of his passport so he sent a copy of his driving licence.

In spite of my persistence, he doesn't believe me when I tell him that they now have his date of birth from his driver number plus his name and address from his order, and confirmed on his driving licence - in total that is sufficient information to open a bank account in his name. Of course they also have his credit card details from his order. It's a pity he didn't listen to Money Box on Radio 4 last Saturday morning where the dangers of sending a copy of your driving licence were highlighted. The pensioner they mentioned in the programme lost £90,000 as a result of the scam that followed.

I'm afraid my friend just won't accept he's now at risk.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#784 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:50 pm

Just had a cast iron and copper bottomed offer of a free trial bumper family pack of toilet paper.

May I have the panel's opinion of this flash offer? :)

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#785 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:03 pm

Just had a message about a scam text message saying "Urgent - UK government will awardv£258 to all UK residents to assist with recovery form Covid19. Tap here( highlights a link) to claim)".

It didn't take the bastards very long to try it on, did it?
It's always my fault - SWMBO

fin
Capt
Capt

#786 Post by fin » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:44 pm

While I have not seen any specific examples yet, this whole situation would strike me as perfect breeding ground for countless new scams to appear. X(
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#787 Post by Hydromet » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:14 pm

fin wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:44 pm
While I have not seen any specific examples yet, this whole situation would strike me as perfect breeding ground for countless new scams to appear. X(
Received a warning of this from govt. Scamwatch site. They gave a couple of examples currently in circulation.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#788 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:50 pm

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#789 Post by Hydromet » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:23 am

This idiot didn't even have the sense to spoof the 'from' email address. Telstra, Australia's largest telco, would naturally use an overseas email carrier.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 12.00.32 pm.jpg

Capetonian

#790 Post by Capetonian » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:36 am

The scammers' activities seem to have been curtailed significantly.
My 'spunk' (spam/junk) folder has had negligible input in the last couple of weeks.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#791 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:21 am

Trouble is I am getting lots of what we're doing protecting our customers and staff messages from companies that I haven't used in years.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: A NASTY SCAM

#792 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:26 am

One of Mrs 4ma's friends has received a text say she has been observed leaving her house 3 times yesterday in contravention of the Government' instructions and that a £35 penalty has been imposed. It gives a link to a supposedly Gov.UK website to which the fine should be paid. Watch out for this one!!

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#793 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:36 am

4mastacker wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:26 am
One of Mrs 4ma's friends has received a text say she has been observed leaving her house 3 times yesterday in contravention of the Government' instructions and that a £35 penalty has been imposed. It gives a link to a supposedly Gov.UK website to which the fine should be paid. Watch out for this one!!
So the STASI is now operational in the UK?

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#794 Post by Hydromet » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:43 am

Daughter works in internet security & advises that a whole new industry has sprung up trying to steal data and money from people who usually work on secure servers, but are now working from home. Be careful, it's a nasty world out there.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#795 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:06 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:36 am
4mastacker wrote:
What makes you think that's a recent thing? ;))) ;)))

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#796 Post by OFSO » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:53 pm

Cousin came round for advice, she is receiving SMS payment advice from HSBC, Tel +447407082250, for a Mr C Jones. Looked it up on DuckDuckgo, as I thought, scam, dangerous.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#797 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:02 am

Up near Grimsby the doorstep burglars are taking no chances. Full Hazmat gear. "From the council luv, come to disinfect your home"

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#798 Post by barkingmad » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:47 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:36 am
4mastacker wrote:
I refer the right honourable gentleman to “WTF..in..UK” to post # 601 where it’s official, yes it is operational, if a High Court Judge is to be believed.

To balance up my comments on UK Plod I recommend a “catchup” viewing of the recent 3-part series on the BBC covering the Staffordshire Plod and their 27% undermanning (sorry ladies) and the lowlifes and social problems with which they have to cope.
All this whilst having to spend hours form-filling back at the ‘nick’ instead of being out on the beat is demoralising to say the least.

And that experience is usually followed by the convicted lowlifes, over whom considerable effort has been expended, receiving sentences of minor fines and/or ‘community service’ for some horrific offences-some of which involve film-recorded reckless and dangerous driving. Time for the chaingang to be introduced into the UK, at least the gangs could be usefully employed clearing the tons of litter from the roadsides?

Meanwhile, back to the world of cyber-crime...

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#799 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:40 am

BM, SiL and BiL used to work for Avon and Somerset finest. Their 'favourite' beat was Bristol. For most of his Service my BiL had a job with minimal contact with the greater unwashed and they wanted no contact with him eitger. He was a dog handler and his last dog was a Belgian Mailoir. He made sure to keep nearer its tail.

His other favourite job was covering a marksman's back. He told me at one stake out one of the baddies walked into them from behind. Bad luck for baddie.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#800 Post by Pinky the pilot » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:12 am

Slight thread drift, but there was once a STASI informant in my old home town! X(

As I discovered from once talking to an aquaintance who had fled the then DDR just before the wall went up.

As for the thread subject; Had a few interesting text messages appear over the last few weeks.

Deleted and number blocked!
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.