SCAMMERS !

General Chit Chat
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: SCAMMERS !

#1101 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:45 pm

Make sure that you either record or livestream the arrest and /or beating.
We are dreadfully short of entertainment here (as evidenced by our presence here). :ymdevil:

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1102 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:00 pm

I got a cold call from Princess Cruises trying to drum up trade, or at least that was the call Mrs PN got.

When I got my call I was sitting in the car park outside the dentist awaiting a phone call to say they were ready for me.

My response to her was brief in the extreme, at least I did speak albeit one word.

Funnily enough the previous week in the dentist I got the call while actually in the chair.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1103 Post by Hydromet » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:44 am

Friend of Mrs. Hydro has just been scammed, fortunately she was able to get to the bank & police quickly and has been reimbursed. This woman isn't completely stupid and when it comes to money, she's as tight as a duck's arse, so to get money out of her, they knew what they were doing.

First, her email account was hacked, whether by the scammers or not isn't known. She's one of those people who sends and receives lots of jokes to & rom large lists of people, some of whom she doesn't know. She was bombarded with emails that filled her mailbox (already crowded because she never deletes anything). When she tried to delete them she couldn't. She visited her local Telstra shop who confirmed that it looked like her a/c had been hacked and advised that they would pass it on to their support team, who would contact her.

When she received a call from 'Telstra Support' she was expecting it. They confirmed that her account had been hacked, but that they could track the scammers. She had to go straight to her bank, withdraw $15k which they would use as bait, and go to another bank and deposit $9.5k of it in a particular account. During this time, he was on the phone to her at all times, talking and not giving her a chance to think. Anyone who can talk to this woman without giving her a chance to interrupt is a professional. She withdrew the $15k cash, and deposited the $9.5k, with him still on the phone. He then told her to transfer the remaining $5.5k via Western Union.

At this point, reason kicked in. She returned to the bank where she'd made the deposit and with the scammer still on the line, returned to the bank where she'd deposited the money and wrote a note to the teller telling them what was happening. They immediately blocked the account. She then told the scammer that she had to go to the bathroom, and to call her back in half an hour. She immediately went to the police and Telstra. The scammer didn't call back.

One very lucky lady, but a couple of things concern me. The main one is the coincidence of receiving a call from 'Telstra Support' after having been promised one. I wonder if there is someone in Telstra (or the Telstra shop) reporting possible marks to a contact outside who is a scammer. The other is that neither of the bank tellers thought it unusual that an elderly lady should make a large, atypical withdrawal or deposit, in cash, while on the phone.

These scammers are professionals. They know what they are doing, and are ruthless. Be on your guard.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1104 Post by OFSO » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:32 am

No matter how little I withdraw, or any movement out, from my UK bank accounts, I get a notification on my phone asking if it's legit and have I been coerced. Transfers result in a query "do I know this person? " No, it's not irritating.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1105 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:44 am

The otherwise disturbing thing is the apparent number of people with 5 and 6 figure sums sitting in bank accounts doing nothing.

"I was scammed our of my life savings of ££££££"

In rare cases it matters but for many little old people they actually have no use of it. My aunt, much more astute than many we hear of was in that category. Its only purpose was to pass it on. Unlike many we hear about, most of it was in treasuries and stocks.

Where she was scammed, and I think many are, was the Innovations catalogue. The most hilarious was a little pedal frame so she could exercise in her armchair. This was a woman with a full sized axe for splitting logs. She died at home aged 89 (actually she got herself to hospital that day, we don't know how)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1106 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:41 am

Blast from the past, got a text from Clydesdale Bank. Last I heard of them, mobiles hadn't been invented. Some problems with my account apparently.

Coincidentally I got a text from PayPal minutes earlier saying an email to me had bounced 2 weeks back. Turns out that number was genuine.

johngreen
FO
FO

#1107 Post by johngreen » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:45 pm

Here's a new one I think. Could be convincing though it comes from gopi.jampani@cedge.in

The words 'The guidance...' near the bottom are a hyperlink to who knowns where...

Health and safety spot checks and inspections during coronavirus (COVID-19)

The Health and Safety Executive is carrying out spot checks and inspections on all types of businesses in all areas to ensure they are COVID-secure.

We are making calls so we can give expert advice on how to manage the risks and protect workers, customers and visitors. We are also working closely with local authorities, assisting them in the sectors they regulate such as hospitality and retail.

By calling and visiting premises and speaking directly to employers, we can check the measures they've put in place are in line with government guidance.

Inspectors will make COVID-secure checks as part of their normal role in visiting workplaces during the pandemic. To ensure we reach as many workplaces as possible nationally and support the core work of our inspectors, we are working with trained and approved partners to deliver the spot check calls and visits.

We are planning to visit your premises: 9 AM, 12/03/2021

Please follow The guidance to find the required documents. This is legal requirement.

Yours sincerely,

Mark J. Burrows

HSE Manager
telephone: 0300 790 6787
Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5pm

Health and Safety Executive
Redgrave Court
Merton Road
Bootle
Merseyside
L20 7HS

The HSE logo cannot be reproduced without the prior written permission of the Health and Safety Executive. Any enquiries regarding the use of Crown material should be sent to psi@nationalarchives.gsi.gov.uk.

Logo AVG

Ta wiadomość e-mail została sprawdzona pod kątem wirusów przez oprogramowanie antywirusowe AVG.
www.avg.com

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1108 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:51 pm

johngreen wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:45 pm
We are planning to visit your premises: 9 AM, 12/03/2021
Be interesting to see whether they turn up . . .

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1109 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:06 pm

Mrs PN received a call on her mobile about an accident in the last 18 months. I said I couldn't hear him - true. Then I asked him when the accident happened. He required me to tell him. I said I could not remember. Is said was it in October 2018.he said could be. I called him an R soul and still he kept trying.
I geve up in the end.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1110 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:10 pm

I had a similar call - no such accident . . .

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1111 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:18 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:10 pm
I had a similar call - no such accident . . .
I just can't imagine how this would work. Suppose you had had an accident 18 months previously. Assuming the accident costs had been met by one insurer or the other, how can you open a fresh claim?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1112 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:22 pm

Just tell them:
"Yes, I recall that accident. I was killed in it". :ymdevil:

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1113 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:29 pm

PP my next ploy, but this time it waz so difficult to hear him

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#1114 Post by jimtherev » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:04 pm

I must seem a very attractive person. I'm always hearing from him, or his clone (clown?)
My reply is always 'which one?'
Usually results in an instant hang-up.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1115 Post by ricardian » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:43 am

I haven't had a scam attempt on my main e-mail address for quite some time so I was surprised when this turned up today.
OFFICE ADDRESS: #6-8 BURLINGTON PARADE
Q2 WMK, NEW LONDON UNITED KINGDOM
Attn: Fund Owner!
This is Mr Edwin Williams, General Secretary of International Monetary Fund [IMF]. I write this letter to you based on our board of Directors
meeting held yesterday to release your unpaid through ATM MasterCard payment method and send it to your house to avoid anymore delay. We have converted your total fund of $3.5 Million to ATM MasterCard and its ready to be shipped, meanwhile you are advise to contact ATM PAYMENT CENTER Mr. Anthony Robert, for the Shipment.
Contact Mr. Anthony Robert via the following information below:
Mr. Anthony Robert
ATM MasterCard Payment.
PHONE:+448719159901
FAX: +448719744576
E-mail: atm_cardcenter12@zbavitu.net
Do reconfirm the following information to Mr. Anthony Robert to avoid
wrong delivery:
Full Name_____________________
Home or Office Address:__________
Telephone#____________________
Mobile#__________________________
ID If Available__________________
We told Mr. Anthony Robert that you will contact him soon for the shipment of your ATM MASTER CARD and you are advise to use the following code as Subject when contacting him: the code is (Imf-7710). Your ATM Pin-code will be given to you as soon as you contact him. Have a nice day.
I did a quick Google for "atm_cardcenter12@zbavitu.net" and got three hits (I love the irony of "For compensation of scam victims from International lottery companies that held from African countries Asia and Europe"):
Mr Edwin Williams Your 3.5 Million Payment Through ATM ...
https://brendinghat.com/2020/07/30/mr-e ... -5-million...
30/07/2020 · From: Mr Edwin Williams<admin@astutelighting.co.uk> Reply: atm_cardcenter12@zbavitu.net Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 08:52:26 +0530 Subject: Your $3.5 Million Payment Through ATM MasterCard

Mr Edwin Williams Your 3.5 Million Payment Through ATM ...
https://brendinghat.com/2020/07/30/mr-e ... -5-million...
30/07/2020 · From: Mr Edwin Williams<admin@astutelighting.co.uk> Reply: atm_cardcenter12@zbavitu.net Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 19:40:45 +0530 Subject: Your $3.5 Million Payment Through ATM MasterCard

SPORTS
https://allsportreal.blogspot.com
01/05/2014 · United Nations has awarded you $3.5 Million USD. For compensation of scam victims from International lottery companies that held from African countries Asia and Europe.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1116 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:58 am

They are so absolutely ludicrous you wonder how even one person falls for it.

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1117 Post by Opsboi » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:21 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:58 am
They are so absolutely ludicrous you wonder how even one person falls for it.
Quite - imagine how much more successful they'd be if they wrote in English...

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1118 Post by tango15 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:00 pm

My little-used home phone is ex-directory - whatever that means nowadays. It is only known to close friends and my daughter-in-law. I never had any unwanted calls on it until a couple of years ago, when I dealt with a national double-glazing company who insisted on using the landline. Since then I get a couple of calls a week, some from abroad, which I never answer, because I always check the screen first. There is no doubt in my mind that someone in that company sold on my number (and who knows how many others?) to a third party.

On the email front, BT seem to be pretty efficient at weeding out the the spam, but with my other email account this is not the case. Usually, these are Eastern European women who very kindly send me a photo or two. I usually reply by saying that I'd love to meet them, because I haven't been with a woman for a while, having just done five years for wife-beating. It usually goes quiet after that...

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1119 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:41 pm

I got a text today from Royal Mail and to go to delivery-fee. Co.uk to pay the £2.99 fee. The text had off the Royal Mail boiler plate and looked authentic. What made it more believable is it it Mothers Day tomorrow and #2 daughter often sends a surprise present but nothing this year.

Entering the url on a different machine immediately threw up a red flag warning from Microsoft. I think had I clicked the link in the text then it would probably have been accepted.

As an aside, I once had a fee notification for about £2.99 for something bought of eBay for a £1 or so. It would have cost time, effort and money so I simply claimed the money back from eBay and left the Post Office to pick up the crumbs. Cost them more to handle the whole process than to delver it.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1120 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:40 pm

Just had a second Royal Mail fee message, similar but not identical number and a slightly different url.

I had a look, the padlock was visible, it the asked me to log in, it needed name and address, date of birthday, memorable details, credit card details, inside leg measurement and my gullibility level.