General Chit Chat
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: SCAMMERS !

#581 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:32 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:01 pm
I received an email a few weeks ago from : britishairwayscreditoffice@gmail.com telling me I was due for a credit for an 'unused flight ticket on our airline or one of our partners' and asking for my credit card details, 16 digit number, exp, CVV and name on card.
The issue here is greed. I didn't have an unused flight ticket but if they thought I did then I may as well have a punt for some free month. What can I lose?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#582 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:36 pm

Some of the web page scams are well done. I had one from my bank where all the usual hot links worked back to the genuine bank site. Only the one asking for security details was the scammer.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#583 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:56 pm

How come all the sums to which we are entitled as refunds from HMRC are so similar ? Have the Nigerians, whoops, the people generating the scams, decided that around £270 is an amount the majority of us would find likely or reasonable ?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#584 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:01 pm

Just had an email :Amazon 2019 we are trying to reach you.

No payload. The address is: bounce@motion can.com

Tossers.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#585 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:39 pm

We're sorry you had a problem with TVL services
You've been given a special offer
Hello JackFrost@gmail.com,
After reviewing your case, it appears that your home address is unlicensed since 10 January 2019. However, in this case you can renew your TVL quickly and easily online for 0.00GBP.
Television license number 510023926551.
Please allow 48 hours for it to process.

Sisemen

#586 Post by Sisemen » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:30 am

Very sophisticated phishing scam pitched up in my email today. Have a look at the small print at the bottom!
PayPal.png

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#587 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:12 am

I've been receiving this email from admin@myisp.com every day for the last 5 days. It has my real name in the body of the text. It's absolutely meaningless to me but I can't work out what the scam is.....
scam1.JPG
scam1.JPG (49.51 KiB) Viewed 492 times
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#588 Post by Hydromet » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:25 am

Had some X-rays done last week. They advised that they make them available via a secure website. On the day they were due, this turned up in in my in box.
Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 9.09.43 pm.png
At first glance I thought it might be the X-ray images, but the name of the radiology practice didn't appear anywhere, and why would x-ray images be in a fille called ApproveDoc.pdf. Rang the radiologists who confirmed that it wasn't theirs, and they hadn't sent the images. I've never seen a scam like this before, and I wonder if it's coincidental that it arrived when I was expecting something similar. Has the practice's patient list/appointment data base been hacked? Who knows.
When the images did arrive, it seems a very secure system - link via SMS that can only be accessed from the phone that received the SMS, plus other security features.

X-ray results show that I'm getting old, and can expect to continue doing so.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#589 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:18 am

Hydromet wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:25 am
X-ray results show that I'm getting old, and can expect to continue doing so.
At least that's positive - that there is a future . . .

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#590 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:37 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:12 am
I've been receiving this email from admin@myisp.com every day for the last 5 days. It has my real name in the body of the text. It's absolutely meaningless to me but I can't work out what the scam is.....
scam1.JPG
Where there is a clear URL I look up the site myisp.com in this case. I get a standard boiler plate suggesting other sites relevant to ISP.

I have had some where the URL appears perfectly genuine but obviously hacked. One was a law firm in the US and nothing to do with the scam. I emailed them but they didn't reply :(

Capetonian

Re: IDIOT SCAMMERS !

#591 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:51 pm

Call from +44 300 200 3322, automated American voice saying:

"This is HMRC there is a tax fraud case open against you, if you wish to speak to one of our advisers to avoid being arrested, press 1."

I pressed 1 hoping to be able to take the piss out of them and was going to give them the name and address of one of my thieving scumbag ex-tenants, but sadly, nothing happened.

Are people really stupid enough to fall for this rubbish?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#592 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:32 pm

That is a UK free phone number and shown as not for profit marketing and rated Dangerous.

Capetonian

#593 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:07 pm

I have tried calling that number but it just comes up unobtainable. Pity.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#594 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:18 pm

Which of course is a classic 'valid' number scam.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#595 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:22 pm

Mrs 4ma has received an e-mail supposedly from McAfee telling her to change her password by clicking on a link. What makes it look a bit iffy is the e-mail is signed off by "Gary Davis, Chief Consumer Security Evangelist". I've hovered the cursor over the sender's e-mail address and it looks like it's been made to appear it's from McAfee but there's some extra characters. One for the bin I think.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#596 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:53 pm

Dear joe bloggs @ gmail
Renew now, then sit back and enjoy a year`s worth of TV.

Your TV Licence expires on 31 January 2019. Please renew now, quickly and easily online.

Renew your licence http://manheimtruevalue.com/tvlicensing

You can pay it all in one go with a debit or credit card, or why not spread the cost with a Direct Debit?

Remember to renew by 31 January 2019. You'll then be all set to carry on watching or recording live TV programmes on any channel or device, and to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.

Here are all the details you`ll need:

Licence number: 0822755118

Licence expiry date: 31 January 2019

Licence fee: 0.00 GBP
As I haven't used a television since April 2008 . . . I intend to ignore this demand.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#597 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:04 pm

G-CPTN, you will be able to see if it was genuine as the real agency will send increasingly frequent messages each more threatening than the last.

Just like a scammer really :)

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#598 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:08 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:04 pm
G-CPTN, you will be able to see if it was genuine as the real agency will send increasingly frequent messages each more threatening than the last.
Indeed, they have been regularly threatening me with a visit for the last ten years.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#599 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:03 pm

The real ones? When I legitimately didn't renew my licence - moved house, no aerial, no internet and no power cord - I felt under no obligation to reply to them. I wonder if they do demand entry and take along a police officer should you refuse,?

Bet that would cost more than a licence.

Capetonian

#600 Post by Capetonian » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:01 am

Banks agree to refund victims of complex frauds where customers are tricked into transferring money to criminals after it was revealed the scam costs people £1million per day

A coalition of banks have agreed to pay into a fund for victims out of pocket
Scammers pose as bank staff or solicitors to steal around £1million a day
Banks such as Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds and RBS have committed to reimburse
More nanny state stuff : https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rauds.html

The concern I have with this is that it will make people less cautious and it does open a doorway to collaborative fraud. Most people who are scammed in this way are greedy, impulsive, or stupid.

I have noticed recently on several of the online banking apps I use that when I set up a new payee, there is a warning along the lines of : " Are you making this payment to someone who has contacted you unsolicited offering you goods or services which you have not requested? If this is the case, please consider carefully as this may be fraudulent." The Irish bank I use are particularly diligent in this regard, recently I got a text message after setting up a payment to a new payee inviting me to 'phone them, using the number on their website or on the back of my debit card, if I had any doubts as to the authenticity of the transaction and payee.

The criminals are getting bolder. The other day I had one asking me to send money, to release my prepaid ATM card with $3.6 million on it, to a TSB branch in Harlesden (a rather unpleasant and largely non-reflective area of NW London.). I called the bank's security department and to say that they were uninterested in one of their accounts being used for fraud would be an understatement. Perhaps when it starts costing them money they will review their attitude.