SCAMMERS !

General Chit Chat
Capetonian

Re: SCAMMERS !

#741 Post by Capetonian » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:12 pm

What I am hoping is to get a bank account which I can then report as being used a a conduit for the proceeds of crime.
I am also hoping the scammer will call me and after I've wasted a considerable amount of its time (I am very deaf and slow on the uptake!) I will then have the pleasure of telling it what I have done and intend to do further.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#742 Post by boing » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:46 pm

Here's one for you Cape. I received an apparently genuine travel document from BA. I deleted white space to save screen space and deleted the booking information.
This refers to a flight on the 30th of November.
___________________________________________________________________________________-
Find attached payment ticket confirmation contract for XXXXXX.

AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321

Flight meal Meal Flight service

Check-In Service Request - Requested - Auto check-in success

Ticket details
E-ticket FT XXX-XXXXXXXXXXX for you.

General Information
Please ensure you have a valid passport
And necessary entry visas
Please reconfirm your return flights 72 hours
Prior to departure
For emergency please contact our hotline 16241

Ecological information
Calculated average CO2 emission is 2,800.13 kg/person
Source: ICAO Carbon Emissions Calculator
http://www.icao.int/environmental-prote ... fault.aspx

Airline Booking Reference(s)
BA (British Airways): XXXXXX
Data Protection Notice: Your personal data will be processed in accordance with the applicable carrier's privacy policy and, if your booking is made via a reservation system provider ("GDS"), with its privacy policy. These are available at http://www.iatatravelcenter.com/privacy or from the carrier or GDS directly. You should read this documentation, which applies to your booking and specifies, for example, how your personal data is collected, stored, used, disclosed and transferred. (applicable for interline carriage).
2.00 MB 1 file attached
There is a 2 MB file attached to the e-mail which I did not open. I notice there is no name on the document also no departure airport mentioned. It could be that this is a genuine document sent to the wrong e-mail address in which case I should probably let someone know or it could be a complete scam. Looks fairly convincing, what do you think? I'm voting scam.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#743 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:52 pm

Boing, copy as part of the message and Google it. Bet you get a hit.

Capetonian

#744 Post by Capetonian » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:06 pm

PM me the pax name as it appears and the record locator and I will check to see. My guess is it's fake and a scam. It's more than a guess. It's 99%. I have had these and oddly I got one from KLM the day after I'd made some bookings on KLM.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#745 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:15 pm

Cape, they must shotgun so many of these that they are bound to get lucky. I have been swamped by spam this week, usually my email system simply shows the false email address. Just occasionally they hit a store I use with a seductive appeal.

I actually got one this week that I think was genuine asking me to log in and change my password. I emailed back saying they were off their trolley on Black Friday.

One hacked site is COX.NET try it, they admit they've been hacked. If you are defrauded through a genuine site you should have vs claim against them for crap security.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#746 Post by Hydromet » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:22 pm

This week we've been bombarded by calls claiming to be from the Do Not Call register, (a real government website where you can register not to receive cold calls, useful as tits on a bull, as it has so many exemptions, including political advertising, 'surveys', charities etc). As we've been busy they've simply been told to go and perform the anatomically impossible, but when I have some spare time I must lead them on to see where they go.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#747 Post by bob2s » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:55 pm

The scammers in my part of the world, have given up using email and now use SMS for the old scam of saying, your bank a/c has been suspended and please call urgently the below number to sort it out,shame the can't get my bank name right.

Capetonian

#748 Post by Capetonian » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:26 pm

I am hoping that this reply to today's batch will invoke some angry replies :

"Give me the contact details of your boss, I prefer to deal with the organ grinder and not the monkey."

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#749 Post by Hydromet » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:51 am

In this case, the call turned out to be genuine, but could just as easily have been a scam.
The caller claimed to be from Telstra about my (forthcoming) NBN connection. It's not unusual to get one or two scam calls a day claiming to be about this and they usually don't get very far, but as I was expecting a call from them I took this one. Before she would give me any information she wanted proof of my identity in the form of my birth date. Of course, I refused, and asked for proof that she was from Telstra. The following screenshot of my feedback to Telstra tells the rest of the story...
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 11.42.04 am.png

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#750 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:26 pm

bob2s wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:55 pm
The scammers in my part of the world, have given up using email and now use SMS for the old scam of saying, your bank a/c has been suspended and please call urgently the below number to sort it out,shame the can't get my bank name right.
I had a PAYG SIM and used to get a message from the Halifax every month telling me I was near my balance limit and to get my account topped up. Although I don't have a Halifax account I think it was actually genuine as SIMs are recycled.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#751 Post by ian16th » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:38 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:26 pm
I had a PAYG SIM and used to get a message from the Halifax every month telling me I was near my balance limit and to get my account topped up. Although I don't have a Halifax account I think it was actually genuine as SIMs are recycled.
Yes they are.

When I bought my 'smartphone' I also bought a PAYG sim card to keep my old phone alive.
It receives all sorts of messages.
The previous owner has had his satellite TV subscription cancelled, because I haven't paid his subs!
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#752 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:40 pm

I am a bit suspicious of this. We have 5 email addresses on the main account. Only one (my wife's) received this message. As I am the primary account holder, it should have come to me.

The odd thing is that the URL for settings appears correct. The number appears to go to BT but I couldn't be arsed to hold on. Googling it indicates that others think it is a scam.
Sent: 22 January 2020 23:29
To: xxxxxxx@btinternet.com
Subject: You'll no longer receive new emails; update your settings today

BT

You’ll no longer receive new emails; update your settings today

Hello

We've updated you to our new, improved BT email service.

What do I need to do now?

To start receiving new emails on this service, you need to change your email settings. Don’t worry, it's straightforward.

If you're using the Yahoo! App to access your emails, this is no longer supported. However, you'll be able to link your account to your smartphone's own email app, so you can still access your emails via your mobile.

Simply go to www.bt.com/help/emailsettings and follow the simple step-by-step instructions.

Why have we changed your email?

Because we want to give you a better, more reliable experience. We're sure you're going to enjoy it.

If you need any further assistance, our team of UK-based advisors are here to help on 0800 783 0214.

Best wishes,
BT Email team

BT

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#753 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:50 pm

I am with Talk talk,I received that message a few months ago. I went straight to the CEOs office. Scam

Capetonian

#754 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:21 pm

Thanks, but what I can't understand is how does the scam work?
The settings page it takes you to is the correct one, so what do the scammers achieve with this, even if I went in and updated my setting, which are correct anyway.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#755 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:54 pm

There may well be a shadow page where your details are scrapped off.

A few years ago, when I was with Lloyds Bank, I received a 'genuine' page with all the hotlink items in the menu going to the real site as far as I know. The password page however asked for a lot more than the proper page.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#756 Post by jimtherev » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:52 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:40 pm
I am a bit suspicious of this. We have 5 email addresses on the main account. Only one (my wife's) received this message. As I am the primary account holder, it should have come to me.
Yes, I got it too last week. Again, didn't click on the links, but went onto the BT website the usual way. Bummed about there for about ten minutes without any enlightenment.
Since I only use BT as my internet provider, don't use the email address much at all, I'll do nothing and then run around in circles if they mess me about.

Slasher

#757 Post by Slasher » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:28 am

I don’t live in England. However I was told once NEVER accept any email from anything asking you to tweak your email settings. I’m a yahoo account holder and never received one, but if in any doubt that it’s possibly authentic, go and get it straight from the horse’s mouth in person (i.e. the horse himself who sent you the email).

If a scam dunno, but possibly for data mining?

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#758 Post by boing » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:57 am

The call we would all like to listen to.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#759 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:13 pm

Just got this Amazon scam:

Dear Customer:,

Today, we are currently performing regular maintenance of our security measures.
We need your action in order to complete the process.

It will only take a few seconds so please follow the link below and finish this short maintenance.

Please do not reply to this email.
This is an automatted email sent by our system.

https://sellercentral.amazon.us-amz-cen ... bmZv======

As I don't have a seller's account

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#760 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:28 pm

Got home tonight to an e-mail from "TV Licensing" telling me that I had to set up a new direct debit as they couldn't take the latest payment. Funny old thing, Mrs 4ma pays the tv extortion tax out of her bank account and she just received the new licence last week.

The e-mail also quoted a different account number to that printed on the licence. Hovering the pointer over the sender revealed it was sent from "noreply@grimsinaat.com" - a false address. Forwarded the e-mail to the NFIB at the City of London Police for them to do their stuff.

Here's what the body of the e-mail looks like.
Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 20.18.17.png
Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 20.18.17.png (167.9 KiB) Viewed 399 times
It's always my fault - SWMBO