SCAMMERS !

General Chit Chat
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: SCAMMERS !

#1061 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:10 pm

Yesterday Mrs PN's account got an offer for Microsoft Office 2019 at a special price from Gmail. Com address. Today I got two more, also Gmail but different prefix address.

Makes a change from Granite Male etc. The offer is very affordable. Yesterday it was less than 30 euro, same numbers today. For many people it is worth a punt.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1062 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:06 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:10 pm
Yesterday Mrs PN's account got an offer for Microsoft Office 2019 at a special price from Gmail. Com address. Today I got two more, also Gmail.....
See viewtopic.php?p=270210#p270210
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1063 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:14 pm

Some thoughts please folks.

I recently bought a printer from Currys/PC World on-line. There was a bit of a hiccup with the notification of the delivery so I used the on-line facility to "speak" to an adviser. I was asked to provide my e-mail and mobile number and I actually received confirmation of the order and collection details .

However, since then my e-mail inbox has been chokka with spam e-mails for purchases of Bitcoin, CBD products, painkillers and other crap from websites belonging to the dot live domain( Bangladeshi based) - mainly utopup, clubbulk or onepeice.

Also, I've received scam texts on my mobile relating to my previous Vodafone account stating they were unable to collect the monthly payment and click on the link to resolve the issue. I know that to be a scam as I was on PAYG with Vodafone. When I changed my phone it was through Carphone Warehouse - which links it to Currys/PC World.

I've tried blocking the domain but somehow the spam e-mails are still getting through to my junk mail box.

Is it possible that Currys themselves are abusing customer information or they've got rogue employees who are passing customer details on.

What d'ya reckon. Do I contact Currys or the ICO?
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1064 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:48 pm

4ma.yes.
Also register with SpamCop and reportphishing@gov.co.uk

With the email try and get the hidden details from the message and forward that with the email.

Did you mobile number change?

I had a regular monthly message from the Halifax warning me of my account status. I think I had a recycled phone number.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1065 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:05 pm

Long story, but I was assigned a replacement sim by Orange with a 'new' number - which received endless spam calls and texts.

As it was a replacement I rejected it.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1066 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:23 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:48 pm
4ma.yes.
Also register with SpamCop and reportphishing@gov.co.uk

With the email try and get the hidden details from the message and forward that with the email.

Did you mobile number change?

I had a regular monthly message from the Halifax warning me of my account status. I think I had a recycled phone number.
I kept my mobile number when I changed providers. I'll forwarded the next scam text to the dot gov site if and when I receive one.

It's a bit of a co-incidence and if I think back, I started receiving a lot of very similar spam e-mails after I made an on-line purchase from Currys in May of last year. Today's count so far is 25. I've thought about setting the filter to bounce the e-mail back to where they come from but all that does is confirm my e-mail address is active.

There is a template on the ICO's website for a draft letter so I shall write to Currys outlining my concerns.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1067 Post by Pinky the pilot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:43 am

Had another scam phone call about an hour ago from a Mobile number; 0429 661 094. Same sort of thing as previous; Robotic sounding voice, female this time with Murrican accent, saying that they had been trying to contact me for some time and that my Internet access was going to be cut off.

Myv reaction was identical to the previous incident; Invitation issued to indulge in Sexual activity and Travel. Then hung up.

Bit pointless reporting it I guess, as the number will probably show as not in use.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

admin
Chief Engineer

#1068 Post by admin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:03 am

Running this site I get a constant flood of emails demanding that unless I pay the attached invoice the domain names will be deregistered. As in their registration is due to expiry in ten days or so, etc.etc. One would need to very stoopid to pay based on the contact email address being a Googlemail address or even hotmail.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1069 Post by llondel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:37 am

admin wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:03 am
Running this site I get a constant flood of emails demanding that unless I pay the attached invoice the domain names will be deregistered. As in their registration is due to expiry in ten days or so, etc.etc. One would need to very stoopid to pay based on the contact email address being a Googlemail address or even hotmail.
Some of them are smarter than that, in that if you read carefully what it says, it's not the domain registration that expires, but the domain SEO registration, which is a completely different thing and utter bollocks. My spam filter usually takes those out, I don't give a damn about SEO metrics so anything in an email that mentions the term is automatically bounced.

admin
Chief Engineer

#1070 Post by admin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:57 am

Llon, so many offers from individuals who can quadruple my business from the site at minimal cost. Duh! Wasn't aware there was any business to quadruple. Played with SEO's quite early in the piece, result all sorts of weirdos applying for membership. Nowadays it's just word of mouth and an occasional refugee from TOP. I think we are happy with it as is. WE being the membership.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1071 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:45 am

These subscription scams etc used to be aimed at secretaries. One was the directory scam, your registration is due or you will be deleted.
Before that the carbon paper scam. At least they sent the carbon paper but at hugely inflated prices.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1072 Post by Pinky the pilot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:53 am

Bastards rang me again only an hour ago from the same number and the same message. X(

The same invitation extended!

Guess who forgot to block the number? :ymblushing:

Now blocked. :D
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1073 Post by llondel » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:03 am

admin wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:57 am
Llon, so many offers from individuals who can quadruple my business from the site at minimal cost. Duh! Wasn't aware there was any business to quadruple. Played with SEO's quite early in the piece, result all sorts of weirdos applying for membership. Nowadays it's just word of mouth and an occasional refugee from TOP. I think we are happy with it as is. WE being the membership.
I get that sort of thing too. Obviously just boilerplate with no attempt to look at what the business is. We just breed and sell the occasional litter of puppies. If we wanted more business we'd have to get more dogs, which comes with its own set of problems. We also don't need to advertise or get found because those that want puppies come looking anyway.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1074 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:36 pm

With due respect; we sent you an email from our office and there was no response, please confirm to us that you did get this mail for oral clarification.

Yea, right!

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1075 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:55 pm

Mrs 4ma received a text message today from the DVLA telling her that her on-line car tax (sic) renewal had failed and she should click on the link.

Good one!! Mrs 4ma doesn't have a car ........neither does she drive!! #:-S #:-S

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1076 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:24 pm

Just had a call from an unrecognised number saying there had been a suspicious purchase on a credit card that I have. The guy - from overseas I think(!) - asked for Mr C16 and wanted me to answer his security questions. I said no, I wasn't going to answer them until he told me my middle name, my date of birth and the first line of my address and my postcode. He said he couldn't tell me that and that I had to answer his questions. He got quite annoyed when I refused and I said I would terminate the call and phone the number for their fraud department that was shown on my card.

So that's what I did - using a different phone in case he didn't disconnect. In fact the call was genuine and there had been a fraudulent purchase attempt. However there is no way I am going to give out my security data to someone who calls out of the blue from an unrecognised number - even if they do know I'm Mr C16.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1077 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:50 pm

C16, you will no doubt remember Roger Wait calls and asks you to authenticate.

At one time I had that telephone ping pong and they seemed to get out of sync. So, after one call where I called them I gave them an authentication to use. Next time they called I would not play their ball. Eventually they got it and off we went. I then cancelled that and gave them a new one.

What gets my pip is when authentication is not needed.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1078 Post by OFSO » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:44 pm

Received an SMS this morning informing me I was in line for a tax refund. Since, after three letters, e-mails and unanswered phone calls, I cannot get HMRC to tell me how much income tax I have to pay*, somehow I doubt it.

*Everyone there seemingly off sick, furloughed, or "working" from home.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1079 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:01 pm

?? Just had a note on only one of 3 Gmail addresses that we use, that Google have experienced a data breach and advising me to change my password for that one Gmail address. Looked genuine of course, and as well as a "link" there was advice to go into my Google account to affect the password change.

Of course I didn't use the link, and later today - leaving home right now - I'll change my password, but ..... is this a scam ? Has anybody else received this note from Google ? If genuine why only alert one of my Gmail addresses ?

Just askin'.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1080 Post by ian16th » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:59 pm

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:01 pm
?? Just had a note on only one of 3 Gmail addresses that we use, that Google have experienced a data breach and advising me to change my password for that one Gmail address. Looked genuine of course, and as well as a "link" there was advice to go into my Google account to affect the password change.

Of course I didn't use the link, and later today - leaving home right now - I'll change my password, but ..... is this a scam ? Has anybody else received this note from Google ? If genuine why only alert one of my Gmail addresses ?

Just askin'.
I have 3 Gmail ID's, not had the request.
Cynicism improves with age