Reverse Rant

General Chit Chat
obgraham
Capt
Capt
Re: Reverse Rant

#21 Post by obgraham » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:03 pm

Screw the Google Calendar. Damn thing inserts itself everywhere, till I shoved it where the sun doesn't shine.
A little 2 year At-A-Glance calendar book works just fine for me, and Bill Gates and that Bryn guy don't bother me about it.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by ian16th » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:48 pm

If one uses Mozilla Thunderbird as an e-mail client, the add on 'Lightning' give all the calendar functions that I need.
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#23 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:36 pm

unifoxos

I just remembered I meant to apologise to you for snapping at you over your remark about Filofax the other day. I suppose that's the problem with electronic comms, you don't know the tone of the writer and things can be misinterpreted.

I had just had a row with a bottom feeding parasite piece of pondlife (estate agent) which had put me in a bad mood.

So, my apologies, openly rather than on a PM.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:06 pm

I had just had a row with a bottom feeding parasite piece of pondlife (estate agent) which had put me in a bad mood.

Funny that, I've been screwed by more Estate Agents than any other profession - sorry if that offends anyone, can only speak from bitter experience.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:20 pm

I think the only people who have tried to screw me have been estate agents.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#26 Post by unifoxos » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:28 am

Completely understandable, Cape. I generally have half an hours surfing as soon as I get up, check my social media (here) and emails until my body is also awake. Hence I generally post in a relaxed frame of mind as the day hasn't given any arsehole the chance to piss me off, which it certainly will. My posts after a days work are often considerably more acerbic.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by A Lutra Continua » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 am

unifoxos wrote:Filofax?

Still in the 1970s in SA, then?

Still in the stone age going by govt mentality.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by ian16th » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:55 am

One of the more satisfying events of my life was taking a case against an Estate Agent before the local Estate Agents Affairs Board, and winning my case, he was reprimanded and fined.

I was hoping that he would have his license revoked :(
Cynicism improves with age

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:11 pm

Most recent - decided to buy, Agent recommended a structural engineer for survey etc. Engineer immediately said he knew that property and advised against it. Didn't buy.

One year later same agent advised property once more on the market, decided to look anyway and during that visit same Agent accidentally let it slip that the now vendor - asking 1/2 $mill. more - was the engineer we had consulted !

Unfortunately he had sold his business and fled the country, and we couldn't definitely prove that the Agent had been in collusion - but we know better, don't we !!

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:35 am

tnar esrever...

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:52 am

Capetonian wrote:unifoxos

I just remembered I meant to apologise to you for snapping at you over your remark about Filofax the other day. I suppose that's the problem with electronic comms, you don't know the tone of the writer and things can be misinterpreted.

So, my apologies, openly rather than on a PM.

Please don't tell me you are coming over all soft and cuddly in your old age... ? =))

As for estate agents...

Browsing brochures describing flats suitable for singles
she caught my eye; a beautiful desirable property,
displaying a magnificent frontage, well maintained,
perhaps in need of a little sympathetic restoration.
I slyly suggested we immediately exchange contracts,
she replied that I had potential- possibly,
but insisted on a full survey before completion.
Her main concern seemed to be my open plan libido
and semi detached underpants; comments that caused
a certain subsidence in my flimsy foundations.
Still, I did perceive a coded proposal of passion
and hastily arranged a viewing, (strictly without obligation
of course) , after tests for dry rot and sagging
expectations we tottered to the bedroom.
Taking a lead from the exquisitely exposed beams
I did the same myself. By the time she’d stopped
laughing it was too late; maybe I should have explained
that all measurements are approximate.

Stephen Beattie

Caco

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by Tall Bird » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:24 pm

An acquaintance, who spends half the year in UK and t'other in her native Eastern Cape, South Africa, told me yesterday her bank in Bloemfontein had refused to put her bank cards in the post but would hand deliver them instead - an eight hour round trip by road! Can't see NatBarcs and co doing owt like that.

Thought I'd posted earlier about the parking charges in the historic town of Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia. I visited early one Saturday morning when there's a farmers'/crafters' market alongside the tourist sights. It was very busy but I found a handy parking space. Looked around for parking restrictions but saw none. Returned some seven hours later and clocked a previously hidden (by a RV) sign which indicated parking was limited to four hours. Oh fcuk! Then saw the last line: Mondays to Fridays only. Jeez, in UK it would be seven days a week and limited to one hour at mega expense particularly in a busy tourist area. Apart from my vehicle, there was a constant coming and going and the sky didn't fall in. Well done the good folks in charge. :-bd

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:21 pm

A shout out to the hardware store at the end of my road. Except for the garage/convenience, it's the only store in the village. Just discovered I had a duff circuit breaker, and after a cold day in the barn rewiring I decided I needed 5 octagonal junction boxes also so I can do the next job in the warm house.

1) He had them, which is pretty good since there are several makes of breaker.
2) I've just checked and found out his prices are cheaper than any of the stores in the city half an hour away.
3) He also has some special PEX hose for the heating job I'm doing next week. I need 6 foot, not a 25 foot roll. He sells it by the foot, and is cheaper than the big stores again (and they are all out of stock of the shorter stuff).

Happy bunny :))

Capetonian

#34 Post by Capetonian » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 pm

Swissair.
Zurich Airport.
The Swiss.

Shame on the rest.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:12 am

unifoxos wrote:Sorry, Cape it was meant to be a wry comment as I haven't seen anyone using one of those for many years, and I was unaware that they were even still available. I quite understand anyone not wanting to use a mobile phone or other electronic gadget for keeping track of stuff, although everybody that I meet seems to be using pads or phones. I use scraps of paper myself to remember appointments, jobs to be done etc. and throw them away when finished with. A Filofax would be overkill for me.

Capetonian's beloved Filofax aside, unifoxos, Saffers were always behind the times and, for example, only initiated a television service, in the 70's! I still remember watching the test card in excitement at the inauguration of the service!

As for faxes, as in the digital machine, I am always apt to trot out the joke about the crusty old English judge who announced an adjournment of court proceedings because one barrister's briefing paper had not arrived in court, to which one bright young clerk suggested "fax it up your honour" to which the crusty old devil mumbled "yes, it does rather"!

You see even our jokes, like Capetonian's Filofax, are stuck in the 70's. =))

Caco

Capetonian

#36 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:18 pm

I purchased a cellphone from O2 in Falmouth in May 2017.
It has developed a small fault and the manufacturers have tried to help with diagnostics but need proof of purchase.
I have got receipts for just about everything, but Sod's Law, couldn't find that, so I rang O2 in Falmouth - you can actually call a geographic number and speak to a human being, but they couldn't help with anything over 6 months old, and suggested I call O2 customer services.
I called them (they happen to be in CPT) and after a few reasonable questions said they would generate the PoP and email it to me, and it would take 24-48 hours.
I got it an hour later.
I wish all firms were that efficient and helpful.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:27 pm

Or Amazon. We bought some saucepan on Amazon. The bottom feel off one. Found it had a 2 year guarantee. Searched for the saucepan; told me I might them 22 Mar 18.

Lot to be said for online purchases with receipts in cloud.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:52 pm

I have a habit to scan the receipt and store it in a cloud. It has been quite useful a number of times and I just realized I need to scan the receipt of my new espresso machine.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by llondel » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:24 am

Many years ago I took my car in for a new exhaust. I mentioned in passing to the minion that I didn't think it had lasted 12 months, more as a general gripe than anything else, but a manager appeared, established that while I didn't get it from them, I did get it from another one of their branches, and that if I could produce a receipt sometime in the next week showing that, they'd honour it under warranty. I had a poke around the door pocket and much to my amazement, found a yellowed receipt for the exhaust system from 11 months, 2 weeks previous which I showed him. So I got it for free. Mind you, I think the replacement only lasted 13 months.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:26 am

Bought a used cordless circular saw sans blade. After buying blade found that spacer/washer missing. No problem: Mfg has it for around $2.00. Problem: shipping charges ~$12.00. Called around to tool repair shops: No problem, we'll add it to our next order. More in gas to pick it up than the cost of the part. :YMAPPLAUSE:

PP