Reverse Rant

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Reverse Rant

#1 Post by OFSO » Tue May 02, 2017 10:17 am

By which I mean praise. My MIL's chairlift failed on May 1st. Bad: council had failed to renew maintenance contract. Good: two council workers turned up within an hour and fitted a new battery to chair, checked it out, departed after a job well done. Unexpected service on a public holiday. Well done, Islington !

(See, moaners, the world is (sometimes) better than you think).

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Reverse Rant

#2 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue May 02, 2017 10:49 am

I had to registered at the unemployment office. They asked for a document I didn't have with me, but they had a computer to print it on the spot. And the registration went fast and I was led to ask if I am entitled to a special allowance I did not it existed.

A level of service never seen from state employees.

Slasher

#3 Post by Slasher » Tue May 02, 2017 11:06 am

In my youth I once went to an outback pub in Oz I'd never been to, and drank myself silly. Ran up a huge tab. At stumps when it was time to cough up I'd forgotten to bring any cash (no credit card as you had to be 21). Publican told me all ok and can I come back tomorrow afternoon to settle the bill? Which I promptly did at lunchtime.

You don't get that level of understanding and trustfulness in a big city watering hole.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Pinky the pilot » Tue May 02, 2017 11:54 am

Where was that, Slasher me old...? :D
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Capetonian

#5 Post by Capetonian » Tue May 02, 2017 12:57 pm

I had lunch in a very nice restaurant in the middle of nowhere in Brittany years ago. I went to pay, by credit card, only to be told that they didn't take credit cards. I didn't have enough cash on me, so I said I'd go into the nearest place with an ATM and draw cash.

They seemed surprised when I took my watch off (in those days I still wore one) and couldn't understand why I wanted to leave it there as security. They then suggested I came back the next day or later, rather than making a special trip to town.

I went back that evening with group of about 10 people and we pulled the same stunt, and got free meals.

(Only joking .......... I did go back with a group of people, had a great evening, and it shows that trust often works.)

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed May 03, 2017 12:47 am

Just been to a branch of Walgreens in the USA, Seniors Tuesday, 20% off anything in store, if over 55. On holiday so no age related ID with beach wear, cashier believed me !

( not sure if this should be a reverse rant or a real rant !! )

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Cacophonix » Wed May 03, 2017 1:03 am

ExSp33 life starts at flaps 40 they tell me. The 3 degree descent thereafter is made at our own discretion! :)

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJzlaezeAtM[/bbvideo]

Caco

Slasher

#8 Post by Slasher » Wed May 03, 2017 3:55 am

Where was that, Slasher me old...? :D

Tennant, late 70s mate.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Magnus » Wed May 03, 2017 7:10 am

3 Degrees? Caco, yer getting wimpy. 6 degrees into LCY. Airframes take a bit of pounding.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by om15 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:11 pm

6 degrees into LCY. Airframes take a bit of pounding.

In the old CAA days (pre EASA), some aircraft types (The Bravo and other Citation models) had a penalty for LCY, each landing was calculated at a typical 1.33 cycles, this to reduce total airframe life and reduce the time between periodic inspections. I would be interested if any other manufacturer stipulates penalties for steep approaches.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by OFSO » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Here is another example of how private health care works in Spain.

Feeling like a used condom this morning I visited my doctor (rare occurrence). He couldn't see much to account for the way I was feeling but said "hmm, the pupillary response to light is a bit slow - I think we should have a CAT scan of the brain done". Called his receptionist, said "call Figueras neurological hospital and get Mr OFSO an appointment as soon as possible".

This was at 09:40. Hospital called back and said "come now, he's booked in at 11:00". So I drove the 12 miles quite quickly and I was there at 10:45, scan done exactly at 11:00, and after waiting for the report to be typed up was back home with that and the CD of my skull's innards by 12:30.

I have a lot of negative things to say about Spain - justified also - but the private medical system is just amazing. Sure, you pay (the scan cost €230) but no waiting, no fuss, no nonsense.

Oh and there was identifiable matter visible in the scan, all of it Good Stuff.

((Thinks: how much does it cost to treat an Alzheimer's victim through their miserable years of suffering ? How many cases could be spotted in advance for the price I paid for a brain scan ??))

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#12 Post by unifoxos » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:01 am

(not sure if this should be a reverse rant or a real rant !! )

It's a real rant - similar thing, me, aged 50, with SWMBO and my aged P's for lunch in their local tavern. Flyer on the table offering discounts for over 55s.

me - "Darling do you think I could pass for 55?"
she - "Oh yes"

She is now the ex Mrs UFO.
I did sign up for the discount, though.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:34 am

Grenada Grand Anse Beach, small beach cafe at the end nearest the cruise terminal, (unashamed advert :)), had a couple of beers, great food, very Hemingway, went to pay, no CC. Pointed to CC sign, very apologetic, new owners, not signed up. Just pop up to ATM up the beach, not far.

We were a big doubtful and insisted the waiter came with us. It was over a mile away, passed the taxis back to the ship, and then across a main road. We were only there for the day but he had trusted us. It is now a regular drop in whenever we go, we go again in November.

Capetonian

#14 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:07 pm

I ordered a Filofax refill from Amazon and made a mistake over the size. It was about £12 including postage.

When it arrived I realised it was wrong and ordered the correct one, then thought I'd return the other one, went on their site to returns, went through it, and got a message saying:

"We are processing your refund. You don't need to return the item back to us! "

Isn't that fantastic service!

If anyone wants a Filofax A5 Week On Two Pages Column Format English 2017 Diary then I'm happy to put it in the post to you. For avoidance of doubt, A5 is 210 x 148 mm or 8.27 x 5.83 inches, which is an A4 sheet folded in half vertically.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#15 Post by unifoxos » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:43 pm

Filofax?

Still in the 1970s in SA, then?

Flame Lily FX
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Flame Lily FX » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Ordered a NutriBullet from Argos yesterday around noon. Delivered by 18:00. Job done!
Nasty Bitch bent over the kitchen sink!
I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.

Capetonian

#17 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Still in the 1970s in SA, then?

I don't know if that is meant to be funny or if it's a cheap jibe at South Africans or at me, but I couldn't care less what you think. I happen to prefer a Filofax to electronic things.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by OFSO » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:29 pm

Whilst I do like to use pen and paper on occasion (i.e. my daily diary), ever since I realised that google calendar which holds all my dates, seat numbers, receipts and birthdays can be accessed not only from my own phone but (password protected) from anyone's phone and pretty well any terminal connected to the internet, the attraction of lugging around a thick wad of paper vanished. But yes indeedy, I do print and show my TGV tickets on paper.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#19 Post by unifoxos » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Sorry, Cape it was meant to be a wry comment as I haven't seen anyone using one of those for many years, and I was unaware that they were even still available. I quite understand anyone not wanting to use a mobile phone or other electronic gadget for keeping track of stuff, although everybody that I meet seems to be using pads or phones. I use scraps of paper myself to remember appointments, jobs to be done etc. and throw them away when finished with. A Filofax would be overkill for me.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:48 pm

Water pressure went in house 2 evenings ago - determined capacitor in pump control box was the problem. Got down to (according to sticker) original installers of well equipment at 0750 next morning. Door was locked but guys inside came and opened up early as they saw me try the door. Produced replacement control box in 1 minute. Also produced replacement pressure switch and gauge (first was very corroded, second u/s). Charges very reasonable. Was informed that having them fit it would be expensive due to distance, so instructions for self-fitment provided, plus a handy piece of pipe to ease future problems (free). Was out of there before normal opening.
Installers had wired pressure switch for 2 terminal operation, not the 4 provided, so 2 terminal wires transferred from corroded contacts to non-corroded contacts - 30 seconds.
Control box makers (Franklin) had stuck to same old design with all components on the lid and push fit connectors, so all wiring in base part of old box could be kept.
Replacement of new lid took 20 seconds - pump works again!
Will fit new pressure switch and gauge at leisure.
I have (rightly) lamented the decreasing level of engineering common sense by both equipment designers and installers for some time - so I happily praise both in this instance.