Who uses a smart phone and connects to the net

General Chit Chat
Keef

Re: Who uses a smart phone and connects to the net

#21 Post by Keef » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:44 am

Guilty :(

iPhone lives in my pocket, and gets used for most of the things the desktop does when I'm out and about. The keyboard is a bit fiddly, but my eyesight is good. It's on iOS7.0.5 jailbroken: there's some software on it that I use a lot, and that Apple doesn't approve of, so updates are "orf". I've been very tempted, several times, to replace it with something Android that doesn't have all the restrictions: I've resisted temptation so far.

The iPad gets less use unless we're away on holiday, when it does duty as desktop. The biggest pain is having about 25 App updates to do every time I use it. It's updating right now, preparatory to seeing if I can find the iOS9 update to go on it. That may have to be via iTunes and the desktop.

The Laptop is a bit of an anachronism, but as long as it works, it'll get the occasional job to do.

The desktop does the bulk of the work. It's on Windows 7HP (and staying there, for now at least, because the video card manufacturer seems to have lost the knack of writing drivers that work).

The good bit is that my diary and address book synchronise seamlessly between all of them. Some e-mail accounts do, too.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:47 am

500N wrote:Interesting.

I use a Mac. Have been wondering whether to go Apple phone or an Android device if I do,
which of course I will have to eventually.

Like you, I have several Apple iDevices lying around. However, I do not have an iPhone as I much prefer Android phones to Apple's offerings.

I have a Blu 6" phablet which I tote around, running Android v5.1.1 For me it is indispensable. I use it for many things and on vacation it's the only device I have with me. I listen to music on it (has 64GB storage), check banking info, etc.

Time to upgrade buddy.
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:00 pm

Since it is not worth starting a new thread just a very short question for those who have a smartphone. Did you buy the smaller model around 4'' or did you go for the largest one 5 or 5.5''?

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:04 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:Since it is not worth starting a new thread just a very short question for those who have a smartphone. Did you buy the smaller model around 4'' or did you go for the largest one 5 or 5.5''?

I have a 6" Blu smartphone. At first it was difficult to get used to due to the immense screen real estate. It's still a bother, though, carrying it around in a pocket.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by om15 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:14 pm

I have a Samsung mobile phone which I have used for about a year or so, I have a contract with Vodaphone and my monthly bill is about £20 ish.
My Samsung phone is used for limited personal use and quite extensive use for my business, the cost from phones4U or who ever is was at the time was about £18, as I am VAT registered I claimed the VAT back so total outlay was around £15.
If I want to take a photograph I use a camera, if I want to see where I am going I use a torch, and if I want to send an email I go on my laptop.
If I want to telephone someone I use my mobile, seems to work ok for me.

Blacksheep
Snr FO
Snr FO

#26 Post by Blacksheep » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:31 pm

if I can find the iOS9 update to go on it.

Go to "Settings" then "General", where "Software Updates" should be second from the top. Your iOs9 update should be available directly from there.

Ancient Mariner
Snr FO
Snr FO

#27 Post by Ancient Mariner » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:39 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:Since it is not worth starting a new thread just a very short question for those who have a smartphone. Did you buy the smaller model around 4'' or did you go for the largest one 5 or 5.5''?

Mine is an Samsung Alpha, 4.7 ", enough for my stubby working class fingers. Not so for me old eyes, then again........zooooooom.
Per

david1300
FO
FO

#28 Post by david1300 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:31 pm

iPhone 5 and iPad here, both on one Vodafone $49pm contract (2 sim cards - 1 for each device) unlimited calls to mobiles and landlines, 100 min/month international calls, unlimited local and international Text Messages, never hit my internet limit on either (not sure what the limit is). Use the voice dictation a fair bit and voice activated calling when driving (headset) including voice activated and sending text messages. Access internet on both every day. Useful Apps include Flipboard for news (use this when out and about), Flightrack, Flight Radar, Shazam, and communication apps like WhatsApp (free messaging & calling to o/seas family), Heytell (free audio messages - saves typing), Skype and others that meet my needs. When my phone dies I'll go a Android - probably Galaxy.

I use the camera quite a lot, specially the video functionality so I can make cute videos so puppies for YouTube and Facebook :-* and fancy time-lapse videos of sunsets and flowers opening (added App for this) and slo-mo videos of 'things I like'. Saves having to carry a camera, but the trade off of immediacy for quality is noted. I have used the torch function when travelling, and the alarm too. I no longer wear a watch - superfluous. Have used the recording function when discussing things with police too :ymblushing:

The calendar/diary feature is probably the second most used feature after the actual phone. It is great to just be able to say to the phone: make an appointment with X on Y date at Z pm and remind me 1 day before, and it appears on my iPad and desktop too. I check emails on it but rarely respond, except if urgent.

Would I survive without it - yes. Is my life easier with yes - YES

This message was typed on my iPad :)

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by OFSO » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:36 pm

A 7" phablet on a UK tarif (ten pounds a month unlimited internet and texts when in England) which fits in my jacket pocket no less, and a 4" smartphone on a Spanish tarif (eight pounds a month plus costs when in Spain). Both are Android of course, interface seamlessly with my home PC and my Chromebook for docs, calender, contacts, and so on. Always connected via wifi when in Spain (free wifi is everywhere in Spain) and to the G3 net when in the UK. Very happy with this system.

Thread drift: how in the name of the seven horsemen of the 'pocalypse does my Chromebook know where I am, when it doesn't have GPS ? But it does...

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by 500N » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:31 pm

Thank you for everyone who replied, an interesting insight
and certainly food for thought.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:57 pm

OFSO wrote:
Thread drift: how in the name of the seven horsemen of the 'pocalypse does my Chromebook know where I am, when it doesn't have GPS ? But it does...

When you have the phone on and operating in the GSM, they know which cell towers you are connected to ...

My Vodafone contact (linked to a groundline with a carrier Vodafone is associated with) at a monthly rate for 20.63 € (all taxes included) for 400 minutes of national calls 30 sms and 300 MB of data.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:04 pm

OFSO wrote:Thread drift: how in the name of the seven horsemen of the 'pocalypse does my Chromebook know where I am, when it doesn't have GPS ? But it does...

Your Chromebook, like mine, knows exactly where you are at all times, OFSO. It's called 'Location Services' and it's turned on by Chrome OS by default. Doesn't need GPS. It just "knows". :D

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by boing » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:31 pm

I bought a Nokia (now owned by Microsoft) smartphone running Window 8.1.
One of the very annoying features is that to use various apps. you must have location active even if the location feature would appear to have nothing to do with the app. This is almost certainly data logging for commercial purposes.
I paid for the phone, I paid for the apps. so I do not see why I should be forced to provide location data to Microsoft as part of the deal.
Although the phone quality is great I would not recommend a Windows phone because of Microsoft's intrusive activity.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by 500N » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:38 pm

rgbrock1 wrote:
OFSO wrote:Thread drift: how in the name of the seven horsemen of the 'pocalypse does my Chromebook know where I am, when it doesn't have GPS ? But it does...

Your Chromebook, like mine, knows exactly where you are at all times, OFSO. It's called 'Location Services' and it's turned on by Chrome OS by default. Doesn't need GPS. It just "knows". :D

How do you turn it off ?

boing
Yes, don't like that.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:59 pm

500N wrote:
rgbrock1 wrote:

How do you turn it off ?.

By unchecking the check mark next to the service. Settings>Site Settings>Location

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by OFSO » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:19 pm

By unchecking the check mark next to the service. Settings>Site Settings>Location

But then I wouldn't know where I am ! :))

sprintman

#37 Post by sprintman » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:06 am

FYI wife just changed from iPhone 4 to Samsung S5 (Android). Nice larger screen etc but I now have to investigate/purchase backup SW unlike iPhone which you just plug in an iTunes syncs, updates apps, and does the backup automatically. Daughter now changed her mind and wants new iPhone instead of the Samsung she has been wanting for months.

wgw2

#38 Post by wgw2 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:31 am

OFSO wrote:...how in the name of the seven horsemen of the 'pocalypse does my Chromebook know where I am, when it doesn't have GPS ?...

To add to what's already been said, Location Services will make a guess from the IP address if it has no other information, eg Google Maps on my desktop begins centered on a settlement some 12km away. On a Chromebook there's also knowledge of the available nearby WiFi access points, and these may have been mapped via mobile device use in the vicinity - see http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-google-and-everyone-else-gets-wi-fi-location-data/, and https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/1725632?hl=en (btw, in addition to the suggestion in the second link for opting your WiFi access point out of G's data slurping, turning off the "SSID Beacon" network advertisements on the access point will very probably do the same).

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by OFSO » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:43 am

I now have to investigate/purchase backup SW

My (I admit, early Android system) phablet has this in the settings. And when I had to do a restore recently, everything was backed up onto the phone from google and from the SD card. My new Huwhoppee phone arrives today. Be interesting to see if it does the same.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by OFSO » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:20 pm

My new smartphone was delivered today. Being a pathetically underpaid pensioner, I went for a very cheap Huawei. Put my old SD and SIM cards in, logged on to Google, phone set itself up with contacts, photos, apps which I already installed on my UK-network phablet, literally the only thing I had to do myself other than the above was select my favourite ring and notification tones. Oh and put WhatsApp on it. And my PIN.