Argentinian Submarine Missing

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Argentinian Submarine Missing

#41 Post by OFSO » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:03 pm

Years ago I was told by a retired submariner that after long periods running submerged off-duty crew would sit near the snorkel in the submarine and enjoy the fresh air being sucked into the engine room. He also told me that running in heavy seas the upper end of the snorkel would briefly be under water, the flap/ball valve would close and with the engines still running and sucking air the momentary drop in air pressure within the boat would cause ears to pop and eyeballs to feel as if they were protruding.

I have been on two submersible boats, one American and one Russian. Nothing would have persuaded me to dive in the latter.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by FD2 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:53 am

The sad but inevitable conclusion to this story - the wreck of ARA San Juan has been located:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-46245686

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:14 am

FD2 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:53 am
The sad but inevitable conclusion to this story - the wreck of ARA San Juan has been located:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-46245686

Hopefully the discovery will give some respite for the anguished relatives and reveal the cause of this tragedy i.e. the full chain of circumstances that led to the loss of the craft.

Navy spokesman Enrique Balbi told reporters last year that water had entered the submarine's snorkel, which can be used to take in air from above the surface when the submarine is submerged.

The saltwater dripped on to a battery tray in the prow, causing the battery to short circuit and to smoulder, he said. The sub had reported the fault and had been ordered back to base but then disappeared.

Caco

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by OFSO » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:27 pm

Pretty deep, wonder if they will recover it. Will probably have imploded. Poor guys.